INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic scan  (Read 9826 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Automatic scan
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:40:15 am »

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1673938&postcount=17405

Here is yet another example of someone installing Media Center, not noticing the 45 second countdown, and having MC start scanning their system for Media.
Their reaction to this happening? "I immediately uninstalled it."

This is not the first time I have seen it happen.
I have recommended Media Center to a number of people and while some people were not bothered by it, many people's immediate reaction was that they want no part in a player where the first thing it does is start scanning their drive without authorization.

You need to remove the countdown and make this an opt-in feature.
Replace the countdown with "Automatically scan my PC for media" and "Configure auto-import" buttons when the library is empty.

I have brought this up before and it was immediately dismissed, but it really gives people a bad first impression of the program - and for some people, that's the only chance it gets.
You should not be doing something like this without user interaction.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Do not automatically scan the PC for media when the library is empty.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:00:40 am »

The flip side of this is that, if we didn't automatically scan, some people wouldn't figure out how, and they would say, "MC doesn't have my music."

This system was built to prevent that problem and it works.  If we lose a few customers, it's too bad, but it's worth the price, in my opinion.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:55 am »

The flip side of this is that, if we didn't automatically scan, some people wouldn't figure out how, and they would say, "MC doesn't have my music."

This system was built to prevent that problem and it works.  If we lose a few customers, it's too bad, but it's worth the price, in my opinion.
If someone can't see a big "Automatically scan my PC for media" button then I think they are going to have far more problems with the program than that.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:25:21 pm »

I don't mind it too much. My only issue with it is that it really shouldn't scan for media inside the Program Files/Program Files (x86) folders.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:25 pm »

I don't mind it too much. My only issue with it is that it really shouldn't scan for media inside the Program Files/Program Files (x86) folders.
If it's going to automatically scan for media, I would probably limit it to the system music, photo, and video folders.

But I don't think it should.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »

When we first started the auto import, there were a couple of programs that stored their media there.  Probably not done any more.

If MC imports too little or too much, it's a problem either way.  Best is for the user to set it up and do it, but not everybody finds that simple to do.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:47:45 pm »

If it's going to automatically scan for media, I would probably limit it to the system music, photo, and video folders.
We did the research.  That won't work.  People have media stashed in all kinds of places.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:07 pm »

I've known about this 'system' for years, and it still catches me out.  It's hidden in the lower left side of the screen and pretty much no one sees it.  I don't necessarily mind that it automatically scans drives (I'd prefer that it didn't), and can see that it might be helpful to new users, but the fact that it's not easily visible, and constantly surprises people is BAD.

If you really believe that scanning drives without permission is the best way forward, then PLEASE move this to a GIANT window in the middle of the screen which cannot missed by anyone.  It's not the automatic scanning that annoys people per se, it's that it happens without their knowledge or consent which is annoying and drives people away.

Also, I understand that you don't mind losing a few customers, but the user that posted above is very active in the madVR thread, and his opinion is likely to carry weight with other, potential future users, which might not ever even install JRiver now, based on his adamant negative feedback.

I've seen MANY threads in the past years complaining about this behavior, and I don't recall any threads from any users complaining that there were no files in MC prior to this system, so it seems this is a frustrating solution for a non-existent/minimal problem.

Just a friendly suggestion  :D
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:54:59 pm »

... the user that posted above is very active in the madVR thread, and his opinion is likely to carry weight with other, potential future users, which might not ever even install JRiver now, based on his adamant negative feedback.
We try to listen to all users, including the outliers.  In the end, we have to make a decision that we think best serves a broad range of users.  This is sometimes unpopular with advanced users. 

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 01:12:49 pm »

We try to listen to all users, including the outliers.  In the end, we have to make a decision that we think best serves a broad range of users.  This is sometimes unpopular with advanced users. 

Then make a decision that puts a giant dialog box in the middle of the screen with two giant buttons:

1. Scan my PC for media
2. Do not scan my PC for media - I will populate the library myself.

VP

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:15:41 pm »

Since this topic is now on the table I'm going to chime in here, as well.  I'm with the don't scan automatically crowd in all honesty.  BUT, I get that some people want to have it do so and it should be prominently easy to do.  My advice, if there's no content in the library at all, place a giant button in the middle of the screen that says "Populate Library".  Then prompt them for automagic scan or select directories to scan when the button is pushed.  This would make the software infinitely more usable and less intrusive for those that wish to select what's populated.  And really, a button shouldn't be all that hard for new users to figure out if it was prominent.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »

Well my original suggestion to replace the dialog in the corner was to minimize the amount of work, but certainly something like the iTunes Welcome screen would be more user-friendly.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Automatic Scan
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

I don't think I'll ever convince the experts here, but we once watched "average" users go through an hour of testing.  We saw about 40 of them.  It is absolutely astonishing what people miss.

The method we use now works.  It annoys a few occasionally, but it works.  People are able to play their media and that's what is most important.

We may some day revisit this topic, but it won't be anytime soon.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 01:26:35 pm »

Well my original suggestion to replace the dialog in the corner was to minimize the amount of work, but certainly something like the iTunes Welcome screen would be more user-friendly.

+100.

A welcome screen (only visible and available) at new install with empty library - should have a number of logic options available to any level of user. Starting with what type of client this is (standalone, Media Server client). Once that choice is made - the app could then present to most logical options. Standalone client with standalone library would need a media scan option. Media Network client could be presented with a list of existing Media Servers on the network to join up with etc etc.

It still does baffle me how good this app is in some areas and how it just not in others...

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:19 pm »

The method we use now works.  It annoys a few occasionally, but it works.

Jim,

Apologies - but if a user tries "your method" and bails almost immediately - and then uninstalls the app - that is about as far away as "works" can get.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 01:32:07 pm »

Jim,

Apologies - but if a user tries "your method" and bails almost immediately - and then uninstalls the app - that is about as far away as "works" can get.

VP
It happens.  But, as I said above, it's a small price to pay if it solves the bigger problem.

This isn't going to change.  Sorry.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Automatic scan
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

By the way, we ask people "Why?" when they uninstall, so we know a fair amount about the problems that stop people.

Import doesn't come up.  A frequent response is "It's too complicated."  Often, "I only wanted an audio player."  "Didn't work."  etc.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 01:37:01 pm »

The problem is that MC touts itself as a high end product geared toward people who are looking for a high end solution.  The addition of LAV and madVR for video prove that.  At the same time, the addition of Red October to minimize the burden on the end user means that not all who want high quality results are necessarily the most advanced users.  But you gotta admit...a vast majority who care about the ultimate quality are going to be fairly advanced.  There has to be some compromise that works for everyone.  To just blindly say "it works as is" doesn't seem constructive to me.  But that's just my not so humble opinion.  It is your product and you may design it as you see fit and if you're comfortable losing potential customers as a result of a design decision, then, well, ok.  But it doesn't have to be a situation where people end up losing.  It can be improved so that both the less technical and more advanced users can co-exist.  That's simply a design issue.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 01:39:23 pm »

By the way, we ask people "Why?" when they uninstall, so we know a fair amount about the problems that stop people.

Well - after quickly looking at the post from the guy who bailed immediately - something tells me he was too *issed off to give you any kind of usable intel on why he uninstalled. I know I wouldn't bother either...so there is probably a lot you do not know about the problems that stop people - which is both unfortunate and short-sighted.

But it doesn't have to be a situation where people end up losing.  It can be improved so that both the less technical and more advanced users can co-exist.  That's simply a design issue.

Exactly.

VP

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »

Import doesn't come up.  A frequent response is "It's too complicated."  Often, "I only wanted an audio player."  "Didn't work."  etc.

Those issues can be addressed with a combination of installer changes and theming.  Ask the user some up front questions in a wizard type installer and you can short circuit a lot of this.  Want audio only?  Create an audio only theme and guide them toward those options.  The product  can be "simplified" in this way if the themes and installer to guide the user toward them are set up properly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »

We do get more than a few angry or rude replies.  That's true across the board in all the feedback we get.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 01:44:57 pm »

That's true of every product no matter what it is.  What makes a great product is seeing through the rudeness and trying to take constructive criticism no matter where it comes from to improve upon the experience for all.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:44 pm »

Those issues can be addressed with a combination of installer changes and theming.  Ask the user some up front questions in a wizard type installer and you can short circuit a lot of this.  Want audio only?  Create an audio only theme and guide them toward those options.  The product  can be "simplified" in this way if the themes and installer to guide the user toward them are set up properly.
We've discussed this from time to time.  The argument against it is that it makes the installation even more complicated.  More questions to answer before you every get the rewards of your efforts.

We also know from experience that some of the people who say they want "audio only" often end up using it for video or images.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 01:46:37 pm »

That's true of every product no matter what it is.  What makes a great product is seeing through the rudeness and trying to take constructive criticism no matter where it comes from to improve upon the experience for all.
That happens sometimes.  Not always.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 01:47:52 pm »

Well you don't have to go crazy with the install options.  And besides, if you are in an audio only theme and want the video options, it should be a simple matter of changing theme to one that supports video.  I get what you're saying and I do value the research you've done, but, I also believe there are fairly trivial (and some not so trivial) design changes that could enhance the appeal of the product to a wider audience.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

That happens sometimes.  Not always.

Having been in software engineering for 20 years now, I understand completely.  :D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 01:51:22 pm »

... I also believe there are fairly trivial (and some not so trivial) design changes that could enhance the appeal of the product to a wider audience.
The last time this specific issue came up, we lengthened the wait time from 30 to 45 seconds, and we made the warning message more prominent.  I can appreciate that this didn't satisfy everyone, but we did make an effort.

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 01:56:04 pm »

That's exactly what I was thinking as soon as Jim mentioned that some people want an audio-only product.

A basic step-by-step setup process (two or three steps) instead of automatically doing things like scanning your entire PC would be an improvement for everyone.

Only display it when there is nothing in the library (or let people access it via the help menu) and walk people through basic things like creating their library (automatically scanning the drives or configuring it themselves) selecting audio devices, and whether they want an audio-only system etc.

I think there's a lot of potential room for improvement in simplifying the Media Center setup process - and there have already been some good improvements made in MC19 with things like device selection.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »

The last time this specific issue came up, we lengthened the wait time from 30 to 45 seconds, and we made the warning message more prominent.  I can appreciate that this didn't satisfy everyone, but we did make an effort.

Please understand, we appreciate the effort.  We're not sitting here complaining about this product.  We're just trying to help come up with some ideas on how to improve it so that everyone may enjoy it and we don't have situations where a potential customer is uninstalling the product 10 minutes after downloading it.  That's a lose for everyone.  We're not saying no effort was put into this.  And we do appreciate what's been done.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 02:18:17 pm »

I don't understand why it is a big deal if you miss it...

I mean, it annoys me occasionally too, when I forget to click stop before restoring a Library backup or whatever, but... It is a minor annoyance only.

If it imports stuff you didn't want on a new, blank Library, what is lost by simply clearing the Library and starting over?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »

If it imports stuff you didn't want on a new, blank Library, what is lost by simply clearing the Library and starting over?

Just to be clear, what I mean is:

The automatic import process is only destructive to the Library itself, by importing files you might not want in there.  But the automatic import only happens if the Library is otherwise clear of all files, so... I find it dubious that it is a "big deal" that it might accidentally import things you didn't want to import into an otherwise blank Library.  I mean, heck, if it was blank before, just turn off Auto-Import and make it blank again!  Right?

Now, if someone can show some way that importing with the default settings (which people who've never used the program before would be using) is somehow destructive to the media files themselves, then I can get on board and some changes should be made.  But I don't think so, and even if so... Then, I'd say, target that, not necessarily the automatic importing.

I get that some crazy people might be "afraid" (with no evidence) that MC is "hurting" their files by importing them, and freak out.  But you can't help crazy, and I don't think designing around crazy people will lead you to a nice place (and you end up with the UI you deserve).

Is there something I'm missing?

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 02:34:46 pm »

Please understand, we appreciate the effort.  We're not sitting here complaining about this product.  We're just trying to help come up with some ideas on how to improve it so that everyone may enjoy it and we don't have situations where a potential customer is uninstalling the product 10 minutes after downloading it.  That's a lose for everyone.  We're not saying no effort was put into this.  And we do appreciate what's been done.
Well put. And this goes doubly for whatever I post on here. I think a lot of the time my posts may read as though I am complaining when really I just want things to be better for everyone.

I can work around most things in the Media Center interface, because I have been using it for over a year now, but I'd love to be able to contribute to making the interface simpler for other people to use.

I don't understand why it is a big deal if you miss it...
I mean, it annoys me occasionally too, when I forget to click stop before restoring a Library backup or whatever, but... It is a minor annoyance only.
Well for one thing, the act of having to clear out the library is more complicated than simply importing the correct media the first time for beginners, if all they wanted to import was C:\My Music\ and it's now pulled in audio, video, and images from every location on their drive.
Some people consider it to be a privacy issue that Media Center has now scanned their entire drive, "knows its contents" and is potentially doing online look-ups of files they would rather it did not.
When you remove files from the library they are still "in the library" - they are just moved to the "deleted files" list.

It's one thing to give your consent for that, it's another to have it happen automatically without your permission.
Not stopping it from doing this automatically, is not the same thing as giving permission to do this.

On the subject of privacy, your post here is another area where Media Center is not doing a good job of informing the user.
By enabling Media Network, I thought I was enabling DLNA support locally - not having Media Center report my IP to some JRiver server and (potentially) allow a third-party to have access to my media library.
Sure, it's done for convenience, and I'm sure no-one on the JRiver team is using this maliciously, but that's potentially a major privacy violation without even informing the user of it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 02:36:43 pm »

Well for one thing, the act of having to clear out the library is more complicated than simply importing the correct media the first time

You mean File -> Library -> Clear Library?
Its the advanced people complaining here, so I'm sure they can find the command.

On the subject of privacy, your post here is another area where Media Center is not doing a good job of informing the user.
By enabling Media Network, I thought I was enabling DLNA support locally - not having Media Center report my IP to some JRiver server and (potentially) allow a third-party to have access to my media library.
Sure, it's done for convenience, and I'm sure no-one on the JRiver team is using this maliciously, but that's potentially a major privacy violation without even informing the user of it.
Enabling Media Network brings up a small wizard of sorts that does clearly state that you're being registered for an Access Key. I suppose it doesn't clearly explain in words that anyone could understand what that entails, but it does mention it nonetheless.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »

Its the advanced people complaining here, so I'm sure they can find the command.
Well OK, I was obviously wrong about that. (never knew the option existed)

But I don't see how doing this automatically is a benefit. It seems that it would cause problems for both advanced users (who don't want it) and beginners (who may not know how to undo it) for the sake of avoiding someone missing a big button labelled "Scan my PC for media now"

And if hitting a big "Scan my PC for media now" button is a problem for these users, it seems like they are going to have far more issues once they get beyond that step.

Enabling Media Network brings up a small wizard of sorts that does clearly state that you're being registered for an Access Key. I suppose it doesn't clearly explain in words that anyone could understand what that entails, but it does mention it nonetheless.
I would not have assumed that an "access key" was something that broadcasted anything about my setup outside of my own network.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like a very convenient feature to have Media Center work around dynamic IP issues - but it's not made clear at all what is and is not sent to the JRiver servers.
Presumably it has to at least send the IP address and the associated access key - so if I don't have a username and password on my network (which I assume is kept private) then anyone with that information could potentially connect and browse the contents of my library?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »

So the assumption is that a beginner could find it? A beginner would be so overwhelmed by the fact that MC just went ahead and added a thousand files from all over the place...I doubt their first instinct would be to "clear library"...

Registering for an "Access key" is one thing - however this wizard says zip about taking an IP from my private network and sticking it on your servers...

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 02:59:07 pm »

I would not have assumed that an "access key" was something that broadcasted anything about my setup outside of my own network.
It doesn't broadcast anything.  MC registers both your inside and outside addresses with a JRiver server, so that you can use the Access Key to connect, even if your address changes from time to time.  Nobody but you and the server know the Access Key or the IP addresses unless you tell them.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

If you want to discuss, please start a new thread.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 03:02:31 pm »

The original concern is not really relevant to this thread...  But I would like to point something out:

IP addresses are not private information.  Every time you send a packet out, it is stamped with your IP address.

If you go through the trouble of enabling this, and you think it is somehow "private" but still allows your system to be resolved with a dynamic local address... Well, then, I just don't know what to think about that, but that's not how the Internet works.  Learn to computer.  And, I should add, I've used all sorts of applications that do exactly the same thing (all sorts of remote desktop and file serving applications).  Heck, every bittorrent client does essentially the same thing with the "swarm" (DHT is the same thing, at its core).  None of them explain in great detail with scary language how this works, because it is benign, and you weren't private anyhow.

If you want to hide your IP address on the public Internet, you need to run through Tor (and even then, the NSA and other similar agencies from other countries might be able to find you if they control enough endpoints and you aren't very careful).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 03:19:43 pm »

I will say, regarding 6233638's original point, for power users like us...

It would be nice if MC had a checkbox or option or something to disable this behavior once and for all.  I never want it to do the scan (which will find a bunch of useless stuff), and it does make me feel "uncomfortable" that I have to "race" to click stop when I'm restoring a Library to a new clean one (or some similar task).  Even though I know rationally that it doesn't matter, especially since I'm almost always planning to immediately restore a previously made Library Backup anyhow...  It still activates that "must move quickly" panic instinct deep down inside me.

So... I do get that.  I've complained about this before.  I also get why Jim disagrees, I suppose, but I do understand where you're all coming from.

If the first time I opened up MC on a clean install, I could click the little Stop button in the Action Window and then uncheck a "do this again" box, or something, and have it never happen again, I'd be happier.

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:26 pm »

The original concern is not really relevant to this thread...  But I would like to point something out:
IP addresses are not private information.  Every time you send a packet out, it is stamped with your IP address.
If you go through the trouble of enabling this, and you think it is somehow "private" but still allows your system to be resolved with a dynamic local address... Well, then, I just don't know what to think about that, but that's not how the Internet works.  Learn to computer.
What I meant was that enabling "Media Network" doesn't make it clear that this is being sent outside of your local network.
I didn't know about the web-based access via JRiver servers until I saw your post about it. Now that I do, I am very likely to use it.

Obviously your IP is not private information. But if I can go to http://webremote.jriver.com/<access key> to connect to my PC, then surely that means the server has a list of both IP addresses and associated access keys.

If you have not set a password - and why would you, if you thought that you were only dealing with your local network - then theoretically it could let someone with access to the server view a person's library - not that I think they would - but privacy concerns are about the possibility of something happening, however unlikely that is.

I don't think it's something that anyone should be worried about at all.

But when there is no requirement to set a password for this, I think it should be made clear that both your IP and Access Key will be sent to the JRiver servers when enabling Media Network.
I have no problem with the program doing this, I just think it should be made clear that this is what's happening, and that if you set a password it is only sent directly to your machine and not through the JRiver servers.

I think this is at least somewhat related to the topic, because it's about Media Center doing something automatically with good intentions, without properly informing the user about it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 04:17:46 pm »

then theoretically it could let someone with access to the server view a person's library

So could someone with your IP address, don't need the access key in between.
Everytime you visit some online forum, your IP is recorded, and usually visible for moderators. If you don't have a firewall or router in place (without port forwarding), they could also access things easily. And in contrast to the access key database, the IP in the forum is actually linked to your name.

Luckily, most people have internet connections through a router these days, and outside connections are blocked there unless specifically allowed through.

I'm not against tweaking the text in the Media Network wizard a bit to make this more clear, but I don't think its a big deal either.
The Access Key is private, and finding out your IP is usually easier, even.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »

If you have not set a password - and why would you, if you thought that you were only dealing with your local network - then theoretically it could let someone with access to the server view a person's library - not that I think they would - but privacy concerns are about the possibility of something happening, however unlikely that is.

This is only true if the user has also opened up the firewall ports on their router (or they're running directly connected to the Internet with no firewall, in which case they have bigger issues).

And, the same thing would be true of, I don't know... Anyone they send an email to.  Or anyone on the same subnet as them.  Or anyone with administrative privileges on the servers for any website they visit.  Or... You know, a printer on their network.

Your computer is constantly blasting its IP address out to any machine that cares to listen.

I just don't get what the bad thing is here...?

You want to run a server.
You intentionally enable said server.
Furthermore, you intentionally poke a hole through your firewall so it can be accessed on the public Internet.
But, you have a dynamic IP address and don't want to sign up with Dyn, so you enable and use the JRiver provided Access Key system and...

Somehow it is "the scary" that it sends your IP address (which is also sent to, I don't know, this forum right now), to JRiver?  How else do you think it works?  Via magic?

It doesn't pass the smell test.  Sorry.

Notifications Can Be A Bad Thing If They Are Over Irrelevant Technical Details Not Relevant To User Needs.  All you have to do is look at the Vista implementation of UAC to see why.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »

Hendrik, question...

Is the default Startup Location the web Start Screen?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »

Hendrik, question...

Is the default Startup Location the web Start Screen?

It should be, why?
None of the other choices make much sense for a "virgin" MC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 04:46:33 pm »

So could someone with your IP address, don't need the access key in between.
Sorry, you're right. For some reason I was thinking the access key was necessary to connect. It's only used to lookup your home IP address.

This is only true if the user has also opened up the firewall ports on their router (or they're running directly connected to the Internet with no firewall, in which case they have bigger issues).
I thought this was using UPnP - turns out I set up an exception in my firewall already. (a long time ago)

Somehow it is "the scary" that it sends your IP address (which is also sent to, I don't know, this forum right now), to JRiver?  How else do you think it works?  Via magic?
No, the "IP address" was not the "scary" part - it was the part where I thought I was enabling a local service and granting worldwide access to my library via my IP. (thinking that the port was opened via UPnP)

So really this is quite benign - just be careful to enable authentication if you are concerned about privacy.
Maybe the prompt should suggest it or give the option to enable authentication if you plan on accessing the library outside your own network?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »

Back to the original topic...

We've heard from several power users that this automatic scanning hits a nerve, and we all know exactly what happens, and how to 'fix' it.  Now, imagine you've just installed "The Greatest Media Player Ever" and you're looking at a screen you've never seen before, and 'getting a feel for what's available' and all of a sudden, it tells you it's scanning your computer.

What is this doing exactly?
What changes is it making to my computer?
Why is it doing this?
Is the NSA involved?

These are all valid concerns.  I, personally, would uninstall the program also, and tell everyone to avoid it.

Now, if instead, you were looking at the blank screen after first installing, and saw that there were no media files available to you, it might be a bit concerning, and you might think, well, now what?  But you won't panic, and you won't get angry, and you likely won't uninstall and badmouth the program.

But, still, you might not be happy that you can't use the program, so there's still a problem.  How to 'fix' this problem for new users?  While I can appreciate that 40 odd people were 'tested' on this, but without specifics of this test, the conclusion is highly suspect.  If the options were

1) an automatic window that is easily missed (current solution), and
2) no help to the user whatsoever

Then option 1 might certainly be the 'best' solution.  However, if other options were offered/tried, like

3) a GIANT window in the middle of the screen which said 'You haven't imported any files yet, we can scan your whole computer for media files, or you can select folders to import by clicking here', or

4) a wizard which asks if you want to use MC for
          a) Music
          b) Images
          c) Videos
          d) Documents
then walks you thru setting up importing these kinds of files, and helps you select from where to import them (in a simple dialog, but [optionally] saves the results in the auto-import settings for future use)

Perhaps there is a better solution only choices 1 & 2.

Again, I'm not implying that JRiver isn't trying, or doesn't care, or isn't listening; I'm only trying to provide further insight into some potential solutions.

Personally, I can't imagine that putting the current (not-very-visible) dialog into a large window in the middle of the screen would take very long to implement, and I can't see that this makes the current solution any worse, and seems like it would be MUCH better for achieving the desired result (a satisfied user that can play their media).

Finally, if I've caused any more stress around this topic, I want to remind everyone that jmone wants an intercom system, so please direct any frustration on him  ;D ;D ;D
pretend this is something funny

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 05:47:25 pm »

Then make a decision that puts a giant dialog box in the middle of the screen with two giant buttons:

1. Scan my PC for media
2. Do not scan my PC for media - I will populate the library myself.

VP

I too was rather taken aback originally when on first install the program started searching for files. Consequently I think the above suggestion makes excellent sense and caters for all users.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 06:13:37 pm »

Thanks for all the advice.  Expect no changes.  Closing this now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up