INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo User Guide or Tutorial?  (Read 4219 times)

lynes88

• Recent member
Gizmo User Guide or Tutorial?
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »

I am brand new to JRiver MC and have been using/evaluating the product for a little over a week now and installed Gizmo over the weekend to try that too.  So far, I am really impressed and using MC on my HTPC as a media server for DVD and BluRay playback.

I installed Gizmo to use on my Galaxy Tab over the weekend as a remote for audio access/playback.  I am able to see my library (browse by artist) but where I begin to get confused and frustrated is more in the area of navigation and usability.  I wanted to jump around between genre, artist, song, and use Gizmo more like a DJ would.  So, for example lets say I browse the artist in my library that has multiple tracks across multiple albums - but I simply want to pick an artist and "play all".  I never saw an option to play groups of tracks or even all tracks from a particular genre.

And what about internet radio access, is there a way to browse or access international radio from Gizmo or Media Center?  I loved that feature from my Squeezebox and would love to get that option again.

And another question while I am thinking of it, when I loaded my original library of audio files (small test size of mp3 files), most of the artists showed up right away as thumbnail pictures/covers, but not all.  I seem to be unable to fix this for some - what is the correct way to deal with this?

Sorry, I will stop there for now.  Gizmo is the main issue/frustration right now, but I am unable to find what I would call a detailed user guide of ay kind?  If there is one, please point me in that direction - thanks ahead for any help and love the product so far.

thanks

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo User Guide or Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:34:57 am »

Ask questions like this and you'll get given a special homework assignment [joking]. I don't use Gizmo in a sophisticated way but what I do know is that the key to customisation is via setting up Views. I suspect that the answer will lie down that path.

Some links for review:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Views
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70195.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87940.0

Hopefully I haven't given you a bum steer..  8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:00 am »

but I simply want to pick an artist and "play all".  I never saw an option to play groups of tracks or even all tracks from a particular genre.

What happens when you long press on the artist or genre? That usually provides a "play all" type option for me.

lynes88

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 07:55:58 am »

Thanks for the homework... that is very helpful.  I think I read through some of that already but I will look again.  And yea, when I long hold while pressing an artist for example, the pop-up choices I get are this:

Play
Add
Shuffle
Play (with Play Doctor)
Show Files

So, there is no "play all" choice in my list, but I still have no idea what the "play (with Play Doctor)" choice is... that is a strange one.  I did not know about the long hold procedure until just yesterday, that was a new one.  The "add" choice at least gives me a way to modify the playing now list...that is better than I had before.

And this might be device specific, but how can you control volume through Gizmo while playing?  I can use my device volume buttons but expected to see a software volume adjustment capability....?

Anything that would clarify the question about adding internet radio?  I see Last.fm in the server but I was hoping to re-create my experience I had with the squeezebox and internet world radio... that was a great feature.

Thanks all... and excited to be a part of the JRiver bandwagon....

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:50 am »

Thanks for the homework... that is very helpful.  I think I read through some of that already but I will look again.  And yea, when I long hold while pressing an artist for example, the pop-up choices I get are this:

Play
Add
Shuffle
Play (with Play Doctor)
Show Files

If you select that play when long-pressing on the artist, what happens?  I think if you're long pressing on the artist (i.e. not a track, but the artist one level up) that "play" will play all; at least that's how I remember it working (I'm not home right now so can't test). 

lynes88

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:04:12 am »

And let me report back that I have had much more success after playing around with these suggestions.  While on my Tablet, if I long hold on the Artist or Genre icon for example, the option to "Play" at the top of the list acts like a Play All and loads all the songs for that choice... so in my test library, if I long hold on the Genre "Alternative" and select Play then Gizmo loads the 23 songs in Alpha order and plays them all....

If I long hold "Artist" and select Play... all 102 songs are loaded and play (from my test library).  I did customize some of the views and this worked as well so I can see now how to make this even better.... so thanks for the help and suggestions!  Cheers

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:44:33 am »

Play (with Play Doctor):
Tries to find similar songs from the database and adds them to the playlist  also
Pages: [1]   Go Up