INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shared Library: Mac and Win  (Read 3552 times)

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Shared Library: Mac and Win
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »

Here's the deal:  I've got a Win 8.1 system at home running Media Center 19.0.121 - with all my media files stored on a Synology NAS.  I've got a Macbook laptop that I'd like to use to access my NAS-stored media library from around the house (in Garage, on the deck, etc.).  I've searched the forums and also read the "http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sharing_a_media_library_with_multiple_users_on_a_home_network_%28LAN%29" article, but nothing mentions whether or not this will work with a mixed architecture environment.  I figured I'd ask here before I spring for another license AND possibly scramble my library.  So...anybody?   ? ?
THAT's what I'm talking about.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Shared Library: Mac and Win
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:04:56 pm »

It works.

I connect to my home Windows Library with my MacBook and my Mini all the time.  One thing to mention, is that since the path will never match, it means they always rely on the server streaming the files to them, and can't read the files directly like a Windows client on a LAN with a mapped drive does.  So functions like Locate on Disk (External) don't work.

But... That's not a huge deal if you just want to listen to music.  Try the free trial.  Don't buy before you're sure it'll work for your needs.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:57:29 pm »

Great - thanks.  I hadn't even thought about the differing file structures, but you're right.  I'm going to give it a try right now.

Marc

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:46 pm »

It works - all features.  Of course, it cost me the full $49.98 (no discount for purchasing another license) to find out.  But...it works!!!  I tested out rating a track or two on the client, and the server reflected the changes.  Yay!  Thanks.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:25:57 am »

Will my Mac be able to access my Server that runs on a PC?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:35:56 am »

Will my Mac be able to access my Server that runs on a PC?

Yes.  It can.

Still hides any non-audio assets, and it does have the issue mentioned above.  But, if they're clients only (meaning, you're not going to try to do any serious management from them where you'll need direct access to the files), it works a treat.  All the regular Library Server stuff (including tagging and playcounts) works fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:38:26 am »

Of course, it cost me the full $49.98 (no discount for purchasing another license) to find out.

I take it you'd already used up your trial period?

TGNV

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:56:12 am »

I have MC18 on a PC which is the library server.

I have no problem to access to the Windows library from others client PC in my local network.

Now I am testing  MC19 for MAC OS. It seems that the MC18 server is not compatible with the Mac OS MC19 client.

Is there something special to do  to connect to my home Windows Library with my MacBook ?

Many thanks.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 08:43:53 am »

I have MC18 on a PC which is the library server.

I have no problem to access to the Windows library from others client PC in my local network.

Now I am testing  MC19 for MAC OS. It seems that the MC18 server is not compatible with the Mac OS MC19 client.

Is there something special to do  to connect to my home Windows Library with my MacBook ?

Many thanks.
You'll need to be running the same Media Center version on both server and client.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

TGNV

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 10:04:48 am »

Thank you for your answer.

I expected to have another option rather than buying a Window upgrade  plus a Mac OS license.

Lonestar

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:30 pm »

Thank you for your answer.

I expected to have another option rather than buying a Window upgrade  plus a Mac OS license.

Interesting...Just stumbled across the same issue. +$50 for the MAC license plus YET ANOTHER PC upgrade at $26. Gee. Starting to feel nickeled and dimed to death here.

Also just realized MAC version does not have Theater View. Not conducive to a MAC Mini HTPC setup.

Early Adopter Woes!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 06:52:41 pm »

The Mac development cost JRiver several hundred thousand dollars.  Perhaps close to half a million by now.

It also set us on the path to do the Linux version, which you might one day be happy to find on a piece of hardware you buy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up