INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake on LAN for client coming out of Standby  (Read 1832 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Wake on LAN for client coming out of Standby
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:32:26 am »

Hi, there. MC19 server and 3 clients all running on W7, latest versions etc etc. It's been a while since I tried all this, and I was delighted to see the client sending WOL to the server when starting MC19. So for my main PC this is great, as it's a general purpose machine, and I run MC19 as and when I need it.

But the other 2 clients are dedicated HTPCs. They only ever use Theatre View, and are put into standby when not in use. When I bring the client out of standby, it is still in Theatre View, but the server may have gone into standby. MC19 on the client seems to get very sluggish at this point, but you can still navigate the views. But when you come to play something, the HTPC hangs for a bit and then reports that there is a problem with playback, as the server has not responded.

So is there some functionality within the system, or some other approach, that send a WOL from the client to the server, when the client comes out of standby.

Or perhaps I should force a MC19 restart on resume from standby, as this would (?) do the sae thing. If so, how?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wake on LAN for client coming out of Standby
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »

Hi, there. MC19 server and 3 clients all running on W7, latest versions etc etc. It's been a while since I tried all this, and I was delighted to see the client sending WOL to the server when starting MC19. So for my main PC this is great, as it's a general purpose machine, and I run MC19 as and when I need it.

But the other 2 clients are dedicated HTPCs. They only ever use Theatre View, and are put into standby when not in use. When I bring the client out of standby, it is still in Theatre View, but the server may have gone into standby. MC19 on the client seems to get very sluggish at this point, but you can still navigate the views. But when you come to play something, the HTPC hangs for a bit and then reports that there is a problem with playback, as the server has not responded.

So is there some functionality within the system, or some other approach, that send a WOL from the client to the server, when the client comes out of standby.

Or perhaps I should force a MC19 restart on resume from standby, as this would (?) do the same thing. If so, how?
I suppose it might be a good idea for the client to send a WOL packet to a connected server when coming out of sleep mode.
I wonder also if this maybe should be more general. If the client's not sleeping but not doing anything either, can the server sleep or are we jabbering with it often enough to prevent that?
If we aren't jabbering enough, I'd think that perhaps a WOL should be sent to a connected server whenever the first access is after some interval.
Pages: [1]   Go Up