INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback options  (Read 2128 times)

marcusturle

• World Citizen
Playback options
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:45:04 pm »

I'm using JRiver on a MacBook Pro (Late 2013), pulling FLAC files from a Synology Diskstation.

When I play the audio through my Mac, the DSP button illuminates blue and, when I mouse over it, it lists the Audio path as "Direct".

However, when I push audio from the Mac to my Denon Ceol Piccolo the DSP button doesn't illuminate and the audio path is listed as "Not using JRiver audio engine".

I've been reading the Wiki entries on Audio Output Modes and Audio Playback Options but I'm having trouble adjusting settings.

When I go to Playback Options the Audio tab says: ! Configure Audio using Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA servers.

When I go to Add or Configure DLNA server, the Audio options are limited to "Mode", "Format" and "Advanced".  The Advanced tab only offers Stereo Downmix, Volume Levelling or Sample Rate. 

How do I change the output and playback settings for my Denon?

marcusturle

• World Citizen
Re: Playback options
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 03:57:33 pm »

Anyone at JRiver able to help me with this?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »

Is the issue that audio playback is not working on the Denon?
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:21 am »

Hi, thanks for responding.

Playback is working.  I was just confused by the fact the DSP button is giving different readings as between playback through my laptop and playback through the Denon.

It may be this is normal.  Just want to be sure I have things set up in the right way.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:31:14 am »

DLNA does not use the JRiver audio engine, because the receiver is the playback device, not the computer. The computer is only serving files to the renderer.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:44:27 pm »

That makes sense, thanks.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 12:20:55 pm »

One follow-on question which has occurred to me in relation to the above reply.

If MC is only serving files to the renderer, what sonic advantage is there to using MC for this, rather than just having the renderer (my Denon) pull files from my Synology server direct and missing out MC altogether?  Obviously there is the advantage of the MC GUI, but I'm interested specifically in the sound quality advantages (if any).

Thanks.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 03:41:45 pm »

One follow-on question which has occurred to me in relation to the above reply.

If MC is only serving files to the renderer, what sonic advantage is there to using MC for this, rather than just having the renderer (my Denon) pull files from my Synology server direct and missing out MC altogether?  Obviously there is the advantage of the MC GUI, but I'm interested specifically in the sound quality advantages (if any).
Assuming the Synology is serving the native files as-is, it shouldn't make a difference to audio quality.

The difference is that you're using the Media Center interface to control it, and are able to use features like Volume Leveling, or convert formats that the Denon receiver does not support natively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up