INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I got a screen saying my trial period was over...  (Read 4731 times)

theob

• Recent member
I got a screen saying my trial period was over...
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:08 am »

so jriver did not boot up. Since I am on a pc dedicated to audio and not connected to the web I need a new reactivation key (lost original one). How do I get a new activation key? Will this happen every time 30 days is up?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: I got a screen saying my trial period was over...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:52:57 am »

As long as you've bought and paid for a key, you'll be fine.

Check here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Pretty straightforward. Sing out if you have further problems.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:13:53 am »

So i tried to open JRiver and i get the screen indicating '...trial period expired...' There is no help page or link on this page. Where is the help link? Remember this application is offline not connected to the net.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:22:26 am »

Read the Wiki link astromo gave you. It links to the Restore page where you can enter your Registration Code, and it'll give you a new Install Key in return.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:27:11 am »

I did read the link. I searched for the .mjr file and got a file not found message. If i ammissing something can you give me a hint on where to go? Very frustrating.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:29:28 am »

I did read the link. I searched for the .mjr file and got a file not found message. If i ammissing something can you give me a hint on where to go? Very frustrating.
You must do a Restore first.  Read that link carefully.  It tells you everything you need to know.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:37:10 am »

Ok i found the .mjr key on my desktop ( not the audio pc), got the email with the restore key, put it in my audio pc (which is not connected to the net) and got a message '...problem restoring your key ...' What is my next step? I don't want to keep chewing restore keys.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:49 am »

I'm sure I've seen it written down in the Wiki somewhere or in accompanying notes that all you need to do launch the .mjr file, i.e. double click.

Try with MC shut down.

I don't have a big screen on front of me, so you'll have to sleuth the detail.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:23:23 am »

I put the .mjr key onto a flash drive in my desktop, put the flash drive into my audio pc, double clicked it and the response indicated not connected the net. So it didn't work.

I think my problem is related to the fact that when i installed jR on my audio pc i did a fresh install Because again it would not accept a purchase key because it is offline. So how do i get around this conundrum?

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:50:21 am »

I guess the ultimate question is how do I install jR on an offline pc?

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 09:02:42 am »

Plug in an Ethernet cable for 60 seconds?
Or you could try a "portable" install.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:57 am »

I got rid of all my internet files/capability in a slimming effort. What is a portable install?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 09:22:41 am »

You don't need to do a portable install.

I'll explain later.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 09:47:19 am »

There are, essentially, two ways to license MC:

1. From within the application, you can restore the software by entering your license key in directly into the application (either via the Trial splash screen or under the Help > Install License menu option).  This method "uses up" one of your "restores" and requires an active Internet connection on the machine.

2. When you do Option #1 above, the system will email you a Temporary Installation Key (which is a MJR file attached to the email).  This file can be used to license ANY copies of MC you want, and they don't need an Internet connection (and it does not use up a "restore").  You simply need to copy this file over to the PC somehow and double click it (MC19 must be installed and working beforehand).  This will open and register the license in MC19.  These MJR files "last" for 14 days from when they were generated (after which they expire and you must generate a new one).

If you don't have ANY PCs where MC is installed and you also have an Internet connection, you can generate one of these MJR files manually on any Internet connected computer by visiting this page: https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

That will generate the MJR file, which you can download right through the browser, and it will also email the file to you at the email address you used when you purchased MC originally.

So, generate one of these MJR files, if you don't already have one recently generated sitting in your email inbox, and then sneakernet it over to the offline PC (USB stick or whatever), and you'll be good to go.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:33 am »

I think I did this and when i double click the .mjr key it says 'the drive or network connection that the shortcut " media center 19 windows -240695.mjr refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disc is properly inserted or the network resource is available and then try again'

Well i tried several times and yes my flash drive with .mjr key is inserted properly.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:46 am »

Lets review this. My last attempt i input the restore key that was sent to my email into the purchase code line on my offline audio pc onto which jR has been installed as a trial version for a month. Because it is an offline pc i get a message ... Cant validate the code with server...Well yes this is true because it is offline. So lets start from the beginning

I have jR installed on my desktop which is online

How do i transfer this copy of jR to an offline pc?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

I don't know what you might have done to "disable internet connectivity" on the box, but it is entirely possible that you broke things.

I verified this process (just a minute or two before I posted my response) and I've used this procedure a number of times on air-gapped machines and VMs.  It absolutely works.  If it doesn't for you, and you have a non-expired MJR file, then something else is borked on your machine.

You might try copying the file to a local disk, I suppose.  But I've done them directly off of a variety of external media without issue.  That error message you mentioned is generated by the OS, not MC.  It means the actual disk is not responding to the request to open the file (it guesses due to a missing network disk, because it doesn't make sense for it to happen with a local one unless the disk is badly hosed).

I'm guessing you didn't know what the heck you were doing when you were disabling services.  Disabling services in Windows is for experts only, and is certainly non-supported.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40:38 am »

How do i transfer this copy of jR to an offline pc?

Copy the MJR file you got emailed when you installed/licensed the online machine AND the JRiver installer (the current one) to the offline PC via a USB drive or something, and then:

1. Install MC19 and make sure it works.
2. Double-click the MJR file to install the license.

That's it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:10 am »

Try doing a restore with Internet Explorer.  When you do, you can save the Install Key manually.  Go slowly and read carefully.

Some browsers mistakenly rename the mjr filetype.  Firefox?

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:53 am »

Here is what i did

Uninstalled jriver

Used the install jriver files to re-install and it didnt reinstall

Since i use Snapshot to save images of my operating system i had one from3 weeks ago prior to slimming the os. So i loaded that back in thinking it would give me 3 more weeks of life and thinking that maybe there was some service i needed to restore. Neither worked

So I am back  to square 1.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:23 am »

Uninstalled jriver

Used the install jriver files to re-install and it didnt reinstall
If MC won't install, that's a problem on your machine.  Sorry.  Confirm by downloading MC from the Download Page again and execute the downloaded exe file.

Antivirus programs sometimes prevent installs.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 11:29:28 am »

Relative to your comment ...i don't know what you did to interrupt interconnectivity, maybe you broke something (i'm paraphrasing)... Just to be clear my  audio pc is offline not online.  I know it's difficult communicating this way but let me restate what i did.

Month ago I installed Jr media Center 19 on my desktop pc.

Then i installed JRiver mc 19 trial vetsion on my offline pc.

It ran 30 days and expired. Today.

That is where I  started today to attempt to restore my initial .mjr code or my new code i received today in an email . Everytime i tried putting in the new code or the old code via the .mjr file i get cannot verrify with the jR server. So clearly i am doing something wrong. Since JR mc 19 is installed do i open the installer  file to enter the key? I have been trying to put the key in via the Restore License screen. Thats the only screen i get.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 11:34:08 am »

With all due respect my machine is fine. I have been running it for over a month. Is there anyway we can connect via phone or some better way than this? I feel we are talking over each other.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:28 am »

That is where I  started today to attempt to restore my initial .mjr code or my new code i received today in an email . Everytime i tried putting in the new code or the old code via the .mjr file i get cannot verrify with the jR server. So clearly i am doing something wrong. Since JR mc 19 is installed do i open the installer  file to enter the key? I have been trying to put the key in via the Restore License screen. Thats the only screen i get.

Yeah.  If you do that, you're doing Option #1 in my instructions above, and that requires an active Internet connection.

That won't work.

You just double-click the MJR file. Once you have the MJR file (one less than 14 days old) you do not need the license key (the long string you type in) to activate the license.  I think you're over thinking it.  You don't "do anything" from within MC.  Open the MJR file with MC (it creates this file type association when it is installed) and it activates itself using the MJR file, which encodes the license.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:29 am »

That is where I  started today to attempt to restore my initial .mjr code or my new code i received today in an email . Everytime i tried putting in the new code or the old code via the .mjr file i get cannot verrify with the jR server.
Please re-read the link you were given above.  I think you're opening the mjr file and using its contents as a Registration Code.  That won't work.

Read the link.  More information won't help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 01:39:07 pm »

I will try to post a screencast or something demonstrating this later (I'm at work now and can't really do very much to help).

However...  The instructions above should cover it.  MC must be installed properly on the offline PC.  Then you just open the MJR file with this copy (typically just double click the MJR from Windows Explorer or the Finder), and it installs the license.  If you can't install MC properly, or if you can't open the MJR file properly, then something else is going wrong on the PC unrelated to the fact that it is offline.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 06:42:18 pm »

Ok new info. When i requested a restore key i got a 20-25 alpha key that is the purchase key which did not work because jR could not verify it  on the home server. I did not get  a .mjr key. I had one from >14 days ago but there was no  attached  .mjr key attached to the email i received from jR . So my question is how do i get an updated .mjr key?

pcstockton

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »

the same way you got the first one.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:00 pm »

I think you are opening the mjr file in something like Notepad and then trying to use it as a Registration Code to restore.  It isn't a Registration Code, and it won't work for that.  glynor's advice to double click on the mjr file is correct.

If the file still has an mjr extension, AND IF MC is installed, MC will execute it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:57 pm »

These are the instructions:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Please read them and follow them.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »

Gentlemen I never got an .mjr key 1st time around I got the 25-35 install key that I inputted on the start up screen. Today when i requested a restore key I only got the same type of 25-35 alpha numeric key but I assume differing in actual characters. I found the .mjr key on my desktop that apparently was downloaded when i 1st bout jR. Today i received no such .mjr key in the attachment to my email. From you guys.

Remember i have my originally purchased jR MC 19 on my desktop. I am trying to restore or make my offline pc jR MC 19 copy legitimate.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 08:01:26 pm »

You are unlikely to get a better answer by asking more questions here.  It's been explained in extreme detail already, and the wiki walks you thru the whole process.

Please read the wiki, and follow it EXACTLY, it will work just fine.

basically, requesting the restore will result in you being sent an email with an attachment.  Put that attached file on the computer with JRiver and just double-click the .mjr file.  That's all that's needed.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 09:09:07 pm »

Ok new info. When i requested a restore key i got a 20-25 alpha key
Please use the correct terminology.  There is no restore key.  You restore, using a Registration Code, and you receive an Install Key by e-mail.  If you don't receive it, then your e-mail program may be trapping it as spam.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 01:53:31 pm »

I think I did this and when i double click the .mjr key it says 'the drive or network connection that the shortcut " media center 19 windows -240695.mjr refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disc is properly inserted or the network resource is available and then try again'

Well i tried several times and yes my flash drive with .mjr key is inserted properly.

Sounds like you copied a shortcut to the mjr file onto your usb drive rather than the mjr file itself. Just a guess....
Pages: [1]   Go Up