INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 122 Won't Quit from Toolbar  (Read 2102 times)

digitalzed

• Recent member
122 Won't Quit from Toolbar
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:28 pm »

Actually, I'm experiencing this since 121 on 2 different computers. Clicking on the "Media Center 19" tab on top doesn't open any menu for quitting any longer. All other tool bar options work. Anyone else experiencing this?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: 122 Won't Quit from Toolbar
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:23:33 pm »

19.0.121 (3/12/2014)
2. Changed: Got rid of "Quit" menu option which was redundant with "Exit" option on File menu. Cmd-Q still works for exiting program.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:13:08 pm »

Actually, I'm experiencing this since 121 on 2 different computers. Clicking on the "Media Center 19" tab on top doesn't open any menu for quitting any longer. All other tool bar options work. Anyone else experiencing this?

+1

2. Changed: Got rid of "Quit" menu option which was redundant with "Exit" option on File menu. Cmd-Q still works for exiting program.

This is a mistake.  OSX is opinionated about software, guys.  Sorry, you need to put it back.  Also, it should have:

Hide Media Center ⌘H
Hide Others ⌥⌘H
Show All

And the Services menu should be present, even if you don't think it might be useful (Hint: it could be, I can write things for MCWS for that services menu if I want).  If you're intentionally hiding those you should re-enable them as well (I'm not sure how it works with how you've built the application, though).

In a perfect world, Options (called Preferences) and About Media Center should be there as well.  That is the standard compliment of menu commands that belong under the Application Name menu in OSX.  Nothing else needs to be in there (and if additions are included, they should be "whole app" related), but those should all be present.  They are on all other applications, even cross platform ones (oh, and they use the right fonts on the other menu items too, but lets not get crazy):

But, at the very least, don't take the Quit menu away! As is, it is broken.  You click on it, and the entire menu does nothing, which is broken.  Plus, I go instinctively to that menu (because on all other OSX apps, closing the window via the red X does NOT close the application down, as it does for MC), so you're fighting the muscle memory of all OSX users.

At least put it back the way it was.  If you're going to remove the redundant menu item, remove it from the File menu, where it doesn't belong.

PS. I'm not all about slavishly following the HIG, but those basic things should be done.  And I really think the items layed out in the App Menu "box" on the HIG (linked above) are non-optional.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

digitalzed

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:23:40 pm »

Thanks for this. I should read the release notes more carefully. Never dawned on me to check on this issue there!

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »

This is a mistake.
+1

The goal should be to make Media Center as "native" as possible on whichever platform it's running on

Morgan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:31 am »

[snip] ... you're fighting the muscle memory of all OSX users.

This says it all.

glynor .. terrific post!

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »

Please return the Quit function.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?