INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio garbled after standby  (Read 1204 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
Audio garbled after standby
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

I had been running 19.121 on a Windows 7 Dell system without any problems.
I was using WASAPI with bitstreaming.

Recently I upgraded the system and replaced it with an ASUS H87M-PRO motherboard.
I reinstalled the software and restored all my settings from backup.

I noticed some subtle changes in the Windows 7 control panel. There is now a sound device for my preamp (Integra 9.8 ) which replaced the Realtek HDMI device available on the Dell system.

Everything seems to work fine with WASAPI and no bitstreaming.

However when I place the motherboard in standby something changes and audio stops working correctly.
If the source requires deconding (Dolby Digital TV), the sound is just garbled. I have also seen situations where the preamp simply cannot lock on the DD signal and keeps switching from Stereo to DD and back to Stereo. That may have been when I enabled bitstreaming again.
If the source is simply audio (WMA 24/48 or 16/44.1), the vocals sound like someone has been breathing helium.

When I play around with other audio combinations, I generally get no sound at all.
The only way to correct the problem is to restart Windows.
Then everything works fine until I enter standby again.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio garbled after standby
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:48:21 pm »

I have the same problem with Lynx external dac. Cannot use hibernate/standby. Found no way around it, so it's running 24/7. Truth is I tried a couple of times, but gave up, as the computer is also mye media server and supposed to be constant on.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:39:31 pm »

I solved the problem by downloading a new audio/video driver set from Intel.
Next time I won't be so willing to believe Windows when it tells me I have the latest driver.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 05:46:07 am »

Using Windows Update for graphics drivers is generally not recommended (and those include the HDMI driver) - even if it gives you the "latest" drivers, there are many known cases where the drivers from Windows Update are incomplete or different, and some functions just don't work properly.
Its always greatly recommended to visit your GPU manufacturers website and grab the drivers from there, be it Intel, NVIDIA or AMD.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up