INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does JRiver 19 could upmixing stereo to 2.2 (stereo subwoofers)?  (Read 4505 times)

ThomasNarukama

Please help, I'm a newbie in computer audio.
I want to have stereo subwoofers with my pair of stand mount speakers.
I tried to find some answer but gave up after 2 days of searching. All I could find in the DSP Output section is upmixing to 2.1, 5.1, etc but 2.2 option was nowhere to be found.
Is JR19 capable to produced 2.2 with room correction features such as distance, gain, etc?

I really need to be able to set the crossover in my comp, and 2.2 is mandatory (I could tell why but it's going to be a very long story).

Is there any software which would upmixing to 2.2 and could be integrated to JR19.
Please kindly help me, I love music and decided to use a comp as my source but the more I read the more frustrated I am.

My hardware:
Sony laptop Win7/64 (but soon will be replace by CAPS Zuma or another silent laptop) - USB output to asynchronous USB input in Lampizator level 5 with additional and pre-amp section, , L/R unbalanced RCA output - to unbalance RCA input on my Norma Revo IPA 140 integrated whereby the pre-amp section has L/R (stereo) subwoofers output, the amplifier section has l/R binding post connected to my monitor speakers.

So since my integrated could send stereo signal to a left and right subwoofers, that means if the source could produce .2 then my problem will be solved. Does USB2 could deliver 2.2 data to the DAC?

Any help, suggestion, or comments would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Narukama

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Does JRiver 19 could upmixing stereo to 2.2 (stereo subwoofers)?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:05 pm »

What you want to do is definitely possible in JRiver, but you need a DAC that can output at least 4 channels.  I couldn't find detailed information on the Lampizator level 5's output options, but it looks like it might only support stereo output?   If that's correct, you won't be able to create a 2.2 output in JRiver because your DAC won't support it.  To test your DAC, what happens if you set output channels to "4 channel" in output format and try to play something?

If your DAC supports outputting 4 channels at once, you can get JRiver to output 2.2, you'll just need to do the mixing yourself in JRiver's parametric equalizer.  The way to do that will be different depending on whether you plan to use the setup for stereo audio only, or for movies/multichannel audio as well.  If you can explain a little more about your use case I can be more specific.  

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:35 pm »

A "2.2" signal is a four channel signal - left, right, left sub, right sub.
Your Lampazitor level 5 DAC appears to be a stereo DAC - only two channel.

To output "2.2" you would need a multichannel DAC. You would then set Media Center's output to "2 channels inside a 4 channel container" (or however many channels your device has) and use the parametric EQ to handle the crossover between the stereo speakers and the subwoofers.

As you only have a stereo DAC, you will need to use an external crossover to handle bass management.
If none of your equipment has bass management features to cut the low frequencies being sent to your speakers, you will have to set the gain and crossover on your subwoofers (I assume they at least offer these controls) so that they are properly integrated with the speaker response.

ThomasNarukama

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:41:10 am »

A "2.2" signal is a four channel signal - left, right, left sub, right sub.
Your Lampazitor level 5 DAC appears to be a stereo DAC - only two channel.

To output "2.2" you would need a multichannel DAC. You would then set Media Center's output to "2 channels inside a 4 channel container" (or however many channels your device has) and use the parametric EQ to handle the crossover between the stereo speakers and the subwoofers.

As you only have a stereo DAC, you will need to use an external crossover to handle bass management.
If none of your equipment has bass management features to cut the low frequencies being sent to your speakers, you will have to set the gain and crossover on your subwoofers (I assume they at least offer these controls) so that they are properly integrated with the speaker response.

Thanks 6233638 & Mwillems.
My DAC turns out to be stereo only. So I might go with some kind of active XO in the middle of preamp's output and sub's input. I found Behringer DCX2496 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx but it only accept balance input and my preamp's output is unbalance. Do you think the DCX2496 will work well if I modified the RCA connectors (the ones that goes to DCX input) with XLR connectors?
Generally what kind of consequences to put unbalanced signal to balanced input?

Do you know any active XO that suitable for my need and do not require very good knowledge in computer and audio? I'm eyeing miniDSP right know but afraid it would be too complicated for me.

again thanks for all input and sorry for my late reply.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »

Thanks 6233638 & Mwillems.
My DAC turns out to be stereo only. So I might go with some kind of active XO in the middle of preamp's output and sub's input. I found Behringer DCX2496 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx but it only accept balance input and my preamp's output is unbalance. Do you think the DCX2496 will work well if I modified the RCA connectors (the ones that goes to DCX input) with XLR connectors?
Generally what kind of consequences to put unbalanced signal to balanced input?

Do you know any active XO that suitable for my need and do not require very good knowledge in computer and audio? I'm eyeing miniDSP right know but afraid it would be too complicated for me.

again thanks for all input and sorry for my late reply.

A friend of mine uses a DCX 2496; they're very good for the money.  In my experience there is no special consequence of connecting unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs, other than the consequences of using unbalanced cables generally: increased likelihood of ground loops/hum, and signal loss/distortion on long cable runs.  If you keep your cable runs short and don't end up with a ground loop problem, it will probably work fine. 

I'm not aware of any good, affordable "DSP in a box" type solutions that use unbalanced connectors other than MiniDSP, but I'm sure there are some out there.  I haven't used MiniDSP products, but some folks here seem to really like them, so hopefully they'll weigh in.

ThomasNarukama

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:02:26 pm »

A friend of mine uses a DCX 2496; they're very good for the money.  In my experience there is no special consequence of connecting unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs, other than the consequences of using unbalanced cables generally: increased likelihood of ground loops/hum, and signal loss/distortion on long cable runs.  If you keep your cable runs short and don't end up with a ground loop problem, it will probably work fine.  

I'm not aware of any good, affordable "DSP in a box" type solutions that use unbalanced connectors other than MiniDSP, but I'm sure there are some out there.  I haven't used MiniDSP products, but some folks here seem to really like them, so hopefully they'll weigh in.

Thanks mwillems,  i emailed Behringer and hope to hear from them soon.

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:54 pm »

Don't your sub's have a cross over?    You are basically running sub's old school in complete analog mode.

You can use your pre amp to send a full spectrum to your L and R mains... driven by your power amp... And use your 2nd pair of pre amp outputs to send a full spectrum signal to your sub and let the subs cross-over filter and  low pass the signal for the sub's range.  Now you manage the bass response in the room with good acoustic treatments.

Or option 2,  run the output from the subs... with the high pass signal to your power amps and then to your Mains L and R.
The idea here is that your power amp is some what lacking in the ability to deliver current. So by removing the demand for current in the low frequencies.. your speakers sound better when paired with your sub...  you still manage the rooms acoustics with good acoustic treatment.
JRiver sends a two channel signal to your DAC without any DSP.

Now what you do with the second sub so that impedance load does not blow up your amp is above my pay grade.

also remember... the .1 designation was driven by home theatre world and this is a seperate track on the dvd or blu ray disk..   It is a  single channel LFE output that is part and parcel of base management done by  by a HT reciever.

ThomasNarukama

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:10:38 pm »

Don't your sub's have a cross over?    You are basically running sub's old school in complete analog mode.

You can use your pre amp to send a full spectrum to your L and R mains... driven by your power amp... And use your 2nd pair of pre amp outputs to send a full spectrum signal to your sub and let the subs cross-over filter and  low pass the signal for the sub's range.  Now you manage the bass response in the room with good acoustic treatments.

Or option 2,  run the output from the subs... with the high pass signal to your power amps and then to your Mains L and R.
The idea here is that your power amp is some what lacking in the ability to deliver current. So by removing the demand for current in the low frequencies.. your speakers sound better when paired with your sub...  you still manage the rooms acoustics with good acoustic treatment.
JRiver sends a two channel signal to your DAC without any DSP.

Now what you do with the second sub so that impedance load does not blow up your amp is above my pay grade.

also remember... the .1 designation was driven by home theatre world and this is a seperate track on the dvd or blu ray disk..   It is a  single channel LFE output that is part and parcel of base management done by  by a HT reciever.

Thanks mschneids,  my subs are SVS SB13-Ultra and have XO. The reason I want to bypass the sub's XO Is because I use two very different mains. For audio it's Dyn Confidence C1 and for movie Paradigm MilleniaOne and both of them will use the same sub but clearly their LP point are very different. The C1 need to be around 50Hz and MilleniaOne around 120-150Hz. I could set the internal SVS XO for audio and set the XO for movie from my AVR but that means I need to manually set the sub's XO on&off every time I switch from audio & movie. That is to troublesome for me.
Anyway I will go with Behringer,  they jus replied me and said it's fine to use unbalanced output to their balanced input.
So thank you everyone for helping me. Sadly I wouldn't be able to tell the result. This system would place in my new house and probably done in 2-3 months. Again,  I highly appreciate all of your great inputs.
Oh for room correction I plan to use DIRAC installed in my computer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up