INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on internal volume granularity  (Read 2915 times)

phm_jr

• Recent member
Question on internal volume granularity
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:48:08 pm »

It seems every movement of the volume control results in a 2.5dB change in gain.  Is there any way this could be changed to 0.5dB?  2.5dB is too much to be practical, IMHO.

EDIT: I think what I mean is "0.5 with a device such as an Apple Remote or the keyboard".  I see when I grab the slider on the GUI that I can move it in 0.5 dB steps.  But using the keyboard or Apple Remote, it's 2.5dB steps.

Thanks in advance!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Question on internal volume granularity
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:47:10 pm »

These are bound in the Resources.xml file as 1 percent increments, which is probably the lowest possible value:

<Entry Key="Ctrl;-" Command="10019" Param="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;+" Command="10018" Param="1" />

The command number 10018 and 10019 are found here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands#Playback
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

phm_jr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04:41 am »

These are bound in the Resources.xml file as 1 percent increments, which is probably the lowest possible value:

<Entry Key="Ctrl;-" Command="10019" Param="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;+" Command="10018" Param="1" />

The command number 10018 and 10019 are found here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands#Playback

Thank you, but this doesn't help.

Let me try to explain again...

(This is when using internal volume) When I grab the volume slider with a mouse, I can indeed change the volume in 0.5dB (1%) steps.  But using the audio volume buttons on a Mac keyboard or using an Apple Remote with a Mac Mini (for example) results in 2.5dB (5%) steps.  I saw documented a keyboard shortcut for Media Center that supposedly binds to <CONTROL+> and <CONTROL-> for volume control, but that doesn't work on the 4 Macs I tried it on, running Lion through Mavericks.

I'm looking for a way for a Mac keyboard or an Apple remote to adjust internal volume in 0.5dB (1%) increments.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:31:41 pm »

You're right, and I had noticed that yesterday.  JRiver may not have implemented key bindings translations from Windows to the Mac completely.  Ctrl on the Mac has been switched to Cmd.  Perhaps that conversion has been too aggressive and the shortcuts have to be worked through still.

It's a non-trivial matter to move an app from one platform to another - this is one of those really challenging areas.

phm_jr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »

You're right, and I had noticed that yesterday.  JRiver may not have implemented key bindings translations from Windows to the Mac completely.  Ctrl on the Mac has been switched to Cmd.  Perhaps that conversion has been too aggressive and the shortcuts have to be worked through still.

It's a non-trivial matter to move an app from one platform to another - this is one of those really challenging areas.

Thank you.  I'll take this to mean, "not yet implemented and no current time frame for implementation".

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:48:00 pm »

Some of it might be.   I'm not sure.  It has been a moving target and keeping up with the changes regarding what works and what doesn't has made my brain squishy.

You could try various key bindings, keeping in mind that Ctrl seems to be mapped to Cmd, and the resulting bindings may already be in use in elsewhere on the Mac.  You might just be able to find one that works.

phm_jr

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:32 pm »

Some of it might be.   I'm not sure.  It has been a moving target and keeping up with the changes regarding what works and what doesn't has made my brain squishy.

You could try various key bindings, keeping in mind that Ctrl seems to be mapped to Cmd, and the resulting bindings may already be in use in elsewhere on the Mac.  You might just be able to find one that works.

Is "Resources.xml" implemented on Mac?  All of the documentation I find only mentions Windows.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:55:53 pm »

Yes.

Almost all the documentation is Windows-centric.

phm_jr

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:01:32 pm »

Yes.

What folder (on a Mac) would I drop the file in?

MrC

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 01:05:06 pm »

$ pwd; ls
/Applications/Media Center 19.app/Contents/MacOS/Data/Default Resources
About.png                             Import.avi                            Resource.xml                          browser.jmd
ArtistSearch.txt                      Keyboards.xml                         Startup.png                           tag file info templates.xml
Download.avi                          Options.xml                           Wait.avi                              theater view file info templates.xml
FileAssociations.xml                  PDT.xml                               browser (dlna).jmd                    view tree (theater view).jmd
Filecopy.avi                          PlayerPlug.png                        browser (reports).jmd
Images.xml                            PodcastDefaultFeeds.opml              browser (theater view).jmd

On Windows, you'd create your own Custom Resources folder in the installation directory (a poor implementation, I might add).  But on the Mac this is creating a folder in the app's bundle; I haven't checked what will happen on updates, but you could try it.  If it gets blown away next update (and I think it will), you might as well use Default Resources.

phm_jr

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:54:17 pm »

$ pwd; ls
/Applications/Media Center 19.app/Contents/MacOS/Data/Default Resources
About.png                             Import.avi                            Resource.xml                          browser.jmd
ArtistSearch.txt                      Keyboards.xml                         Startup.png                           tag file info templates.xml
Download.avi                          Options.xml                           Wait.avi                              theater view file info templates.xml
FileAssociations.xml                  PDT.xml                               browser (dlna).jmd                    view tree (theater view).jmd
Filecopy.avi                          PlayerPlug.png                        browser (reports).jmd
Images.xml                            PodcastDefaultFeeds.opml              browser (theater view).jmd

On Windows, you'd create your own Custom Resources folder in the installation directory (a poor implementation, I might add).  But on the Mac this is creating a folder in the app's bundle; I haven't checked what will happen on updates, but you could try it.  If it gets blown away next update (and I think it will), you might as well use Default Resources.

Bless you!  I never would have found that!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:47 am »

Yes.

I've been trying...  :-\
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up