INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for MC20: current play album folder slideshow & popout wide scrollbar  (Read 5594 times)

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Hello all,

Idea 1 and 2 would be great to see in MC20.

I'm new,  good to be here.   If I may,  I have 3 feature requests I'd like to propose please.  The first request I really would love to see, the second would prefer, and the third would nice.

------ Cover art - rotated (with reflection effect) - slideshow of current playing album folder-----------

To have the option right there as a sub menu pop out via right click context menu,  right next to 'rotated'  the option for a rotated image with that cool reflection effect.   A slideshow of that,  just using the currently playing albums folder/sub folder images.
(see image for ref: LINK)

layout might be:

Rotated
 Album Directory slideshow (on/off)  (still in rotated/reflection mode - best looking mode IMHO) -  Just the album directory of currently playing artist.  
   2nd sub option to include all sub folders in Album folder.  These might be,  'Art, images, cover art, etc'
     3rd sub option,  slideshow speed (a spinner or text field options  0.5, 1.0, 2.0, second  etc),  
       and it just repeats all images in that album   folder or if set, the sub folders.    

*  options elsewhere to filter out any images you don't want used from album folders whilst this   album folder, cover art/rotated/slideshow  is running.  I think I've read you can do this elsewhere, but its too complicated for me.  Something easy to use right these as a sub option next to 'rotated' in the right click context menu would be really good to have.

So when you play X artist and X album,  and if you have your artwork that album folder or in sub folder there in, you get a slideshow.  You can set the speed, and also whether the slideshow includes all or some sub folders in slideshow.

I would like this very much, to have my current playing albums artwork in the rotated/reflection state as a slideshow, and with the ease of use just as simple as starting up the cover art/rotated..... /slideshow/speed/use subfolders or not.

Change to another track from another artist/album,  and it moves onto that albums images and subfolders smoothly.

Can we have this please, please, pretty please.

------Thin (default) to thick pop out right side scroll bar -----

I find the right of window scroll bar so tiny to use I keep messing it up.  But appreciating the need for something to look tiny and give maximum space to the rest of the window.  How about when you move your cursor over the scrollbar it expands out from the right into a larger scrollbar.  And then once finished with scrolling it pop's back to the tiny default one when you mouse off.  

Right click the default scrollbar,  could bring up a little context menu with some simple options:

scroll bar pop out  on/off check box.  (off = default width)
  width spinner option -   6=default  to 35  thick.  
   * experimental - animate check box - pop out fast, or soft dissolve out/in.  (or some dissolve/animate option)

pop's out over the UI at the far right side, but returns to slim scroll (default)  when mouse is moved off the scroll bar.    

I do like fat scroll bars and have my windows 7 set to 35 width which I like very much on my 50inch plasma TV screen.

If possible to do,  it wouldn't be there unless you turn it on and then just pop's back when you mouse off the scroll bar.

--------- Space Bar -  stop/pause bug --------

Edit: Resolved with TranslateFlags="1"   (thanks to MrC)

Well it bugs me.  As I'd like both states, I like space bar to stop/start and set it this way.

When using space bar as pause/stop for audio/video, I might also want to go edit in a text field such as tags,  the space not only acts as 'space' for text but also stop starts last/current file playback. This results in playback stop/starting as I type then 'space' xxx  'space'  etc.  Can it detect when the cursor is in a text field editing anywhere in jriver UI, the space function for pause/stop is temporally disabled.  Re-enabling when exiting the text field window/section of the UI.

Thank you

-Jonny
Namaste - 'bows slightly with hands pressed together, palms touching'

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

Welcome to Interact.

--------- Space Bar -  stop/pause bug --------

Well it bugs me.

When using space bar as pause/stop for audio/video, I might also want to go edit in a text field such as tags,  the space not only acts as 'space' for text but also stop starts last/current file playback. This results in playback stop/starting as I type then 'space' xxx  'space'  etc.  Can it detect when the cursor is in a text field editing anywhere in jriver UI, the space function for pause/stop is temporally disabled.  Re-enabling when exiting the text field window/section of the UI.

This one you can change.  The binding is done in a file you can customize.  The entry you want to disable is:

<Entry Key="Space" Command="28011" Param="-1" TranslateFlags="32" />

and the file is Resources.xml in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 19\Data\Default Resources.

Normally you'd add your bindings to your own Custom Resources folder, but I'm not sure how you specify to delete an already extant entry.  So for now, you can quit MC, edit that file, and find the specified line and delete it.  MC should the no longer call the MCC Command:

28011    MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_PAUSE

when you press Space.

Unfortunately, you'll lose these changes each time MC is updated.  Hopefully someone will know the magic trick to disable a binding via Custom Resources.  I suppose you could remap it to the Space keycode using:

27000   MCC_KEYSTROKE

Here's additional info on how to create your own bindings:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Thanks for your reply.  I don't think I explained it well enough.  I should of started out by saying I already set the space bar for pause/start in that file because I like it that way.  And would like it to disable pause/start (suspend the function) when the cursor is detected in a text editable field, as in clicking in a text field to then type something.   

I like to pause/start with the space bar,  but also sometimes whilst playing a file might want to edit a text field or search or type something somewhere in the UI.  Sorry for the confusion.

MrC

Look at the TranslateFlags values defined in the Resource.xml file.  They define when the binding will operate.  Set your TranslateFlags according to your needs.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Look at the TranslateFlags values defined in the Resource.xml file.  They define when the binding will operate.  Set your TranslateFlags according to your needs.

Wow that's amazing I never knew that. Thank you.  set to 1 done the trick.

Can I ask what you think about my feature requests 1 & 2.   A nice and easy way to access a slideshow from just the currently playing albums folder and sub folders would be great to have there on the context menu next to 'Rotated'.  And to do the slideshow whilst remaining in the rotated reflection effect view, for that extra little polish to the overall slideshow aesthetic.

I like the idea of having my currently playing album/folder show a slideshow in the cool looking rotated effect view, and to then change to the next tracks album folder/sub folders.  All right there on the right click context menu.

MrC

Your requests seem nice, but you'll have to wait for someone at JRiver to respond.  It may take a while, as the head guy took a spill.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I find the right of window scroll bar so tiny to use I keep messing it up.  But appreciating the need for something to look tiny and give maximum space to the rest of the window.  How about when you move your cursor over the scrollbar it expands out from the right into a larger scrollbar.  And then once finished with scrolling it pop's back to the tiny default one when you mouse off.  

Right click the default scrollbar,  could bring up a little context menu with some simple options:

scroll bar pop out  on/off check box.  (off = default width)
  width spinner option -   6=default  to 35  thick.  
   * experimental - animate check box - pop out fast, or soft dissolve out/in.  (or some dissolve/animate option)

pop's out over the UI at the far right side, but returns to slim scroll (default)  when mouse is moved off the scroll bar.    

I do like fat scroll bars and have my windows 7 set to 35 width which I like very much on my 50inch plasma TV screen.

If possible to do,  it wouldn't be there unless you turn it on and then just pop's back when you mouse off the scroll bar.

I don't know if that's easy or hard for them to do UI wise, and I agree with MrC that this one, or something like it (but simpler, probably) at least sounds like it could be implemented nicely.

That said...

It always amazes me when I see people using those scrollbars a lot.  If something is "further away" than 5-6 "scroll wheel flicks" away from me on a screen, particularly in MC (which has a lot of filtering and search flexibility), then... I'm finding it wrong.

You may want to consider how you're using it that you need the scroll bar (I assume to grab the little widget and make "large moves" across massive lists) so often.

Or, perhaps, you just need to turn up the scroll speed?  ;)

None of that really reflects on the idea at all.  MC's are smaller than "normal" on Windows.  I've missed them once or twice too, I suppose.  Popping "out" in some way to make a larger target would be handy if implemented well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Yes I think it might be a forward thinking little idea to have the option to turn on and adjustable with pop out scroll bar on the right.  Hidden and not used if you don't want to use it, but once turned on and the width set will give a smooth seamless wider scroll bar.

Also having the right click context menu offer the addition of a slide show from the currently playing album folder, with options right there to include sub folders of that album.  And I'm guessing some other clever settings.  But most importantly to have this slideshow work in the cover art Plain, Rotated and Drop shadow modes. 

My favourite I use all the time is the rotated mode with the reflection.  Now if that could have the slideshow seamlessly. that would be a nice feature.  Something to watch as music plays, and just from the currently playing album folder/sub folders.  With its on/off and settings right there as a sub menu by 'rotated', 'Plain' context menu.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Just a little bump for these two suggestions.   The cover art slideshow for just the currently playing album and its sub folders,  all from right click context menus if you right click the cover art. Easy and quick.   And for scalable pop out right side scrollbar.

------ Cover art - rotated (with reflection effect) - slideshow of current playing album folder-----------

To have the option right there as a sub menu pop out via right click context menu,  right next to 'rotated'  the option for a rotated image with that cool reflection effect.   A slideshow of that,  just using the currently playing albums folder/sub folder images.
(see image for ref: LINK)

layout might be:

Rotated
 Album Directory slideshow (on/off)  (still in rotated/reflection mode - best looking mode IMHO) -  Just the album directory of currently playing artist. 
   2nd sub option to include all sub folders in Album folder.  These might be,  'Art, images, cover art, etc'
     3rd sub option,  slideshow speed (a spinner or text field options  0.5, 1.0, 2.0, second  etc),   
       and it just repeats all images in that album   folder or if set, the sub folders.   

*  options elsewhere to filter out any images you don't want used from album folders whilst this   album folder, cover art/rotated/slideshow  is running.  I think I've read you can do this elsewhere, but its too complicated for me.  Something easy to use right these as a sub option next to 'rotated' in the right click context menu would be really good to have.

So when you play X artist and X album,  and if you have your artwork that album folder or in sub folder there in, you get a slideshow.  You can set the speed, and also whether the slideshow includes all or some sub folders in slideshow.

I would like this very much, to have my current playing albums artwork in the rotated/reflection state as a slideshow, and with the ease of use just as simple as starting up the cover art/rotated..... /slideshow/speed/use subfolders or not.

Change to another track from another artist/album,  and it moves onto that albums images and subfolders smoothly.

Can we have this please, please, pretty please.

I find the right of window scroll bar so tiny to use I keep messing it up.  But appreciating the need for something to look tiny and give maximum space to the rest of the window.  How about when you move your cursor over the scrollbar it expands out from the right into a larger scrollbar.  And then once finished with scrolling it pop's back to the tiny default one when you mouse off. 

Right click the default scrollbar,  could bring up a little context menu with some simple options:

scroll bar pop out  on/off check box.  (off = default width)
  width spinner option -   6=default  to 35  thick.   
   * experimental - animate check box - pop out fast, or soft dissolve out/in.  (or some dissolve/animate option)

pop's out over the UI at the far right side, but returns to slim scroll (default)  when mouse is moved off the scroll bar.   

If possible to do,  it wouldn't be there unless you turn it on and then just pop's back when you mouse off the scroll bar.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Is there any chance these two ideas could be considered by the devs please.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

There is a lot of text above.  Could you re-phrase your ideas in a sentence or two?  Thanks.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

There is a lot of text above.  Could you re-phrase your ideas in a sentence or two?  Thanks.

Sure ok.

1.  To have an easy to access slideshow based off the currently playing album folder and sub folders.  Accessed from the right click context menu that you can change the album art to show the rotated reflection.   A slide show using the cool rotated with reflection cover art image effect.  Options right there in the right click context menu to use album folder, and or sub folders like 'cover art' 'images' etc.   As the track changes, so would the slideshow to which ever new album folder is next in the playlist,  same transitions options as the rotated reflection effect.

2. Pop out wide playlist scroll bars.   The right side playlist scroll bar is tiny,  and I like wide scroll bars.  so how about when you mouse over the scroll bar it pops out to a much wider version (adjustable width in settings),  you scroll, and then when mouse off it returns to the tiny thin scroll bar.   Also options to disable this pop out effect if the user wanted.  Then it would suit all tastes when it comes to scroll bars.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Is that short enough above.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Yes.  2 is a good idea.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

Yes.  2 is a good idea.
Thanks Jim.  I love wide scroll bars, using my windows desktop on a 50 inch screen.  So this idea won't interfere with those who want it as it is now. And effect feature to turn on of off or adjust to suit tastes.

Also from searching the forums some others have also requested an easy to access slideshow based on the currently playing album folder.  I use the basic 'folder.jpg/png'  in the rotated reflection effect for all my day to day music listening, and really feel a simple and quick to access slide show from the same place as this rotated reflection effect would be the icing on the cake for those who love the idea of current album art slideshow.

Is it possible to have this, with the rotated reflection effect.  Just for current album, or sub folders.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen

For Media Center 20 and onwards,  don't forget to try and add my ideas for the pop out (variable width) thick scroll bar.  And the easy to access (right click context menu) slideshow from current album folder (and its sub folders if option is ticked) -  slideshow with the reflection effect.

I do love wide scroll bars,  and like the rotated reflection album art.  Would love to be able to just right click it and turn of and change some basic options to give a slideshow from current album folder/sub folders. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up