INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 stops working using an 3TB external HDD  (Read 5893 times)

Peaceangel

• Recent member
MC19 stops working using an 3TB external HDD
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:21:08 am »

Anybody....
I have recently bought a 3TB external Seagate expantion hdd usb 3.0, to store my music and movie library on.
The problem is that MC19 stops working when i start up a movie. Sometimes i can start the movie though, but after a short while MC stops working and freeze and i have to go to task to shot it down. I can certainly not jump through chapters and MC will stop right away.
Before i run my library from a WD 1TB WD external HD and there were no problems what so ever.
I have MC19 installed on my Asus N53S running win7, i have tried to reinstall MC many times, changed the administation on the external and at first when i did that i seemed to work ...but no.
Does anybody have a clue of what happening here?
By the way, music runs fine.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: MC19 stops working using an 3TB external HDD
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 06:41:31 am »

Others have had issues with some USB drives as well - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84142.msg574960#msg574960
JRiver CEO Elect

Peaceangel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:06:44 pm »

Others have had issues with some USB drives as well - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84142.msg574960#msg574960

Thank you for your advice. I have now spent most of the day to do some track and trace on the issue and didŽnt come out with the final answer to the problem. But i came across some interesting point of views in my search. I do not have much knowledge in pc tech, but these  quotes pasted below, i think, gave some kind of meaning. If PowerDVD and VLC run perfect because they somehow sneak around Microsofts DVDNAVIGATION ..... wouldŽnt that be a possibility, in a future update in MC19 ?

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay in replies. I sometimes forget to come back to thegreenbutton to check on my posts. I can say this after numerous troubleshooting attempts, 2 rma's with seagate, and a 3tb western digital purchase. The problem was not with the physical drives themselves. The problem was something in the usb connection to windows. Either the way the usb adapter portion of the external drive handles the files or how windows interprets what the external drive is doing. I had the freezing issues on any and all 3tb external drive over usb. I tried numerous computers, windows 7, windows xp, etc. Media center would not playback these files smoothly. I then purchased a raid nas enclosure, pulled the 3tb drives out of their usb housings, and inserted them into the raid. All of the movies play perfectly fine now from the nas.....using the previously unusable 3tb disks. The problem is the way windows is communicating with the hard disk. Wish I could be more help guys....

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:38 PM

First Forums Reply
markahuna2's threads View Profile
0 Points
Sign in to vote
I have also verified that it is a USB communication problem.  I took the seagate goflex 3TB usb 3.0 drive out of its case, and installed it directly into my computer as an additional drive.  The movies now play just fine from the 3TB drive.  I do not understand why VLC would play the movies OK from the 3TB drive but windows media center (windows media player) would hang.  I will leave that for the tech people to figure out, but for me, I am happy now.  I can add more movie rips and continue playing them.  As stated, I also have a western digital external USB 3TB that had the same problem, but I have not taken it out of the case and installed into a computer ..... maybe later and will report results then, but suspect results will be the same.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:15 PM
Sign in to vote
Interesting.... I also tried VLC using the 3TB Hitachi drive, and it worked fine on the movie.
I downloaded a task manager called SYSTEM EXPLORER, and when the Windows media player was clocking (45% cpu), found it was stuck in a DLL called QDVD.DLL (my version is 6.6.7601.17713), which has to do with DIRECTSHOW, the DVD NAVIGATOR of Windows . Looking more at this, it seems that VLC does NOT use the DVD NAVIGATOR of Windowes, and that apparently, is why it works. Its almost like the DVD NAVIGATOR is trying to validate the REGION or chapter and is getting stuck. There is an issue with it looping in Windows CE...  I don't recall the HOT FIX number of that one.
I would think that since VLC works via the USB connection, it is not the USB/4k sector size part which is causing problems, but the DVD Navigator in Windows which has a problem.
Ideas anyone?

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:45 AM

Sign in to vote
Also, I have heard that POWERDVD has its own DVD navigator, and that it seems to work as well. Any comments from people who have POWERDVD and a 3TB USB drive?

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:18 PM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8d6a6b00-96e1-463d-b9b7-065b27c8dc82/windows-media-player-freezes-when-playing-an-ifovob-dvd-on-a-seagate-3tb-drive-but-plays-ok-when?forum=w7itpromedia

I do hope this will ad to a solution of the issue.
Best regards
PeaceA

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:59:10 pm »

Hi,
Yes, MC uses the Std MS DVD Navigator Filter and I don't imagine it is likely to change anytime soon, but is it only DVDs that don't play of your USB Drive?  Not that it is much help but, I know there are plenty of users who use USB drives just fine.  If it is a comms issue have you tried updating the USB driver from the MFR (not the MS Web Site) and also tried swapping between a USB 2 and 3 ports (as these will use different drivers).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:24:13 pm »

This sounds like another bug that has been found in the Microsoft DVD Navigator then.
I think Microsoft is more likely to remove it from Windows altogether than update it at this point.

The best solution would be to convert your DVDs to MKV files using MakeMKV.

Peaceangel

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:03 am »

This sounds like another bug that has been found in the Microsoft DVD Navigator then.
I think Microsoft is more likely to remove it from Windows altogether than update it at this point.

The best solution would be to convert your DVDs to MKV files using MakeMKV.
Jmone, thank you for your replies. Drivers are up to date and yes it is only vob files that wont play..... so 6233638 or anybody else, do you have a suggestion for a program vob to mkv or dvd to mkv, without loosing quality on picture and audio.... and the possibility to merge/join 2 or more movies like LOTR.  

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 04:11:37 pm »

Jmone, thank you for your replies. Drivers are up to date and yes it is only vob files that wont play..... so 6233638 or anybody else, do you have a suggestion for a program vob to mkv or dvd to mkv, without loosing quality on picture and audio.... and the possibility to merge/join 2 or more movies like LOTR.
I use MakeMKV for this, which is a relatively easy tool to use.

MKVToolNix is a collection of utilities which contains MKVmerge - a tool which will let you merge files together or otherwise edit MKV files. This is quite an advanced tool though.

I do have a handful of films which are stored on two DVDs, so I'll try to write up a guide on how to merge them together once I get around to figuring out how to do it myself. (I use MKVmerge for a lot of other things though)
Pages: [1]   Go Up