INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A simple customization (group by album and sort albums by date imported)  (Read 5547 times)

kayard

• Recent member

Hi, I'm a newbie and it probably shows. I have been using JRiver for a few years without much customization. I'd like to do a simple thing but I cannot manage; tried searching with no luck so I hope someone could point me in the right direction. I'd like to set up a panes view where all songs are grouped by album (like group-by album) but i'd like the album to be sorted by date imported (in reverse order) so that i have on top the most recent album. Then of course i'd like to have sort inside group by tracks (this one is easy). Basically it's like the standard panes view grouped by album but instead of sorting albums by name I'd like them to be sorted by imported date in reverse order. I hope i explained myself. I'm using MC17 at the moment !

thanks

Paolo

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

Is it the file list's grouping that you want sorted by Date Imported?

And if so do you want all albums to be sorted by Date Imported, or the groupings to be sorted by Album name and within each album name Date Imported?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

kayard

• Recent member

The current setting is that when I click "panes view" I get all songs grouped by album name and the songs inside the group (meaning Album) are then sorted by track number. The problem is that the albums are sorted by Name (starting from A to Z) and I'd like to have them sorted by date imported. To make an example suppose I have 3 albums consisting of 3 song each. The name of the album are A, B and C. The name of the songs of each album are A1,A2,A3 | B1,B2,B3 | C1,C2,C3. Then suppose that album B was imported in 2014, album A in 2013 and album C in 2012. Given these assumptions what i would like to get is a total of 3 groups. The first group would be album B then album A and last album C. Inside the single group sorting would be by track or name or something else I do not really care.What i want is to have group by album and get the "latest" on top of the list !!!

sorry for my English

tks

MrC

The file list groupings are grouped ascii-betically according to the header used to do the grouping.  Therefore, if you want to group these by Date Imported, you'll need to create a new custom user field, of type Calculated Data, that places the the date imported first, followed by the album's name, such as this:

2008 Album X

Create a new user field, call it Year Imported - Album, set the type to Calculated Data, and add the expression:

FormatDate([Date Imported,0], year) - [Album]

or if you want the Month included:

FormatDate([Date Imported,0], year-MM) - [Album]

Save this user field, and now you can Group By this field in the file list.  Since you want it reverse sorted, select More (sort groups z-z) under Group By.

kayard

• Recent member

Thanks, it works.
Only problem now JRiver display a strange name over the album cover. It looks like the album title is date_album_name. I understand this is because it is grouping by the user created field but it would be nice if we could group by that custom field and display the actual album name. is it possible ? i suppose not but it's worth asking
thanks a lot

MrC

Only problem now JRiver display a strange name over the album cover. It looks like the album title is date_album_name. I understand this is because it is grouping by the user created field but it would be nice if we could group by that custom field and display the actual album name. is it possible ? i suppose not but it's worth asking
thanks a lot

If you are seeing group headers as date_album_name, it is because you added underscores to the expression, such as:

FormatDate([Date Imported,0], year)_[Album]

You don't need the underscores in the expression.  Look at what I have above (I used a space-dash-space), or use something simpler:

FormatDate([Date Imported,0], year)  [Album]

kayard

• Recent member

I meant that if you put the year in the field than it gets displayed. If i use the exact formula you suggested of course I do not get the underscores but still it looks like the album title is (for example) "2014 Frozen Soundtrack". Anyway it solve my problem (even though with a small drawback).
thanks

MrC

That's the way it works.  The group header, grouping and sort string are one and the same.

MrC

Pages: [1]   Go Up