INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Artist set incorrectly to Multiple on new import  (Read 3300 times)

Afveep

• Recent member
Album Artist set incorrectly to Multiple on new import
« on: March 30, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »

I have just set up JR19 for Mac for the 1st time and imported about 4,000 albums. All of the music had been previously tagged (through DB Power Amp) with Album Artist and all album folders were properly placed in parent Artist folders. Albums that truly were "Various Artists" were tagged as such in Album Artist and then located in a "Various Artist" folder.

However, in JR I have hundreds if not a thousand albums showing us as Multiple Artists. Examples include most of Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Who ,etc. and many, many others seemingly because there are other artists listed on one of more of an individual track.

I have searched the forum and can see how I can edit the Album Artist name- I actually started this but gave up as there are just too many to edit individually (or in groups when they show up).

I have two questions:
1) Do I have a setting wrong in auto import that prohibits JR from reading my own tags and or Album Folder location (i.e. within an Artist Name) and causes it to decide that these are "Multiple Artist"?
2) Is there a way that I can change a setting to allow me to change all of these that have already been imported automatically?

Even if I have to clear the library and re-import properly, that would be preferable to having to individually edit hundreds and hundreds of albums, and have to do this each time I add some music.

Thanks from a new JR user.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Album Artist set incorrectly to Multiple on new import
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

What format are the files?  FLAC?

If the album artist isn't tagged correctly, you might see what you have found.

The wiki has information on this.

Afveep

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »

Hi Jim,
They are all pretty much AIFF.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:58:09 pm »

If you update MC the latest from the top of this board, does that help?

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:54:47 pm »

However, in JR I have hundreds if not a thousand albums showing us as Multiple Artists. Examples include most of Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Who ,etc. and many, many others seemingly because there are other artists listed on one of more of an individual track.
If you have albums with multiple artists listed on the tracks, without any Album Artist information, then "Multiple Artists" is the correct grouping.

If you want them to appear under a single artist heading, you need to fill out the Album Artist tag.

I have searched the forum and can see how I can edit the Album Artist name- I actually started this but gave up as there are just too many to edit individually (or in groups when they show up).
In the tab at the top of your view, try selecting "Group By → More (sort groups A-Z) → Album"
The "More" step is important, do not choose the regular "Album" option.

This should group everything by the album tag, which should make it a lot easier for you to fix the Album Artist tags if you need to do it manually.

But you might not have to.

1) Do I have a setting wrong in auto import that prohibits JR from reading my own tags and or Album Folder location (i.e. within an Artist Name) and causes it to decide that these are "Multiple Artist"?
2) Is there a way that I can change a setting to allow me to change all of these that have already been imported automatically?
File tags supplant file structure. Media Center doesn't care where your files are on the disk.

However, if your albums are stored on the disk with the Album Artist value that you want, then this should be an easy fix.

You will be able to use Tools → Library Tools → Fill Properties From Filename… to fix them.

If your folder structure is C:\Music\The Beatles\Album Name\
You would use the directories option with this rule: C:\Music\[Album Artist]\[Album]\
That will automatically replace the Album Artist and Album tags in the files with those values.

You can right-click in the box to bring up a list of fields to use, and it will tell you what changes are going to be made on the right.

It might be best to make a library backup before you do this, just in-case you make a mistake.
File → Library → Back Up Library…
Pages: [1]   Go Up