INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Image Files + CUE Playback Numerous Issues  (Read 2110 times)

Viktorus

• Recent member
Album Image Files + CUE Playback Numerous Issues
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:16 am »

This is a long post. I was a long time Media Center supporter, but I've run to numerous issues that I can not resolve.
I need help. Thank you.

MY SYSTEM SETUP:

HARDWARE: Dell Vostro Machine, Intel 3.40 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, onboard audio, internal HD, external USB HD

SOFTWARE: Windows 7, 64 bit, Media Center v.18.0.212.

MEDIA CENTER PLAYBACK SETTINGS:

Output Mode: WASAPI
Beatstreaming: None
Switch Tracks: Cross-fade (smooth) - 3s
Do Not play silence (leading and trailing) (selected, I have a checkmark here)
Use gapless for sequential album tracks (selected, I have a checkmark here)

I was a long time Foobar user. I'm still using it for some operations.
As I was using Media Center 18 to listen to my music, I've run to several issues that I can not resolve and these simple playback issues make my enjoyment quite bitter. Especially knowing the fact, that Foobar has NO issues like that.

My collection consists of FLAC files. Album images with accompanying CUE files. I've imported them to Media Center using CUE file. I have several dozen of "vinyl rips" with high-res sound (up to 24/192). These are usually huge files, up to 1gb or close. But the majority of my music are full CD rips images with CUE done by EAC program.

Issue 1:
When I listen to my music I can't search properly within a track. For example: if the track is 5 minutes, and the current playhead position is on the minute 1 - clicking on the track progress bar somewhere ahead of playhead causes Media Center to start playing NEXT track. Is this is a proper behavior? In other words, if the  playhead currently on 1 minute position, clicking on 2 minute position causes Media Center to play next track. I was expecting Media Center to keep play back from 2 minute instead. As a result it is impossible for me to jump to desired position of ANY track which I found quite limiting. Foobar will play back from 2 minute (from the position I've clicked on the progress bar).
Questions
1.1 Is there something particular in playback options I need to set to be able to listen the track from the position I want?
1.2 Or is it a result of a large files?
1.3 Should I cut all my album images to separate tracks and re-import as separate tracks (this will be a huuuuge task)?

Issue 2:
I like to make playlists with tracks from different albums representing certain idea. For example - "My favorite re-makes". These compliations consist of a few tracks from image+cue based albums. In other words - these are compilations of several tracks from different image files. I did this in Foobar and the playback was flawless. In Media Center I can't use it because play back has a terrible artifact: once the current track played, the next track from the SAME ALBUM will play for a few seconds, and only after that Media Center will switch to next track in the PLAY LIST. That simply kills the enjoyment of the listening to compilations.
Questions
2.1 Is there something particular in playback options I need to set to be able hear just tracks in PLAY LIST, nothing else?
2.2 Or is it a result of a large files?
2.3 Should I cut all my album images to separate tracks and re-import as separate tracks (this will be a huuuuge task)?

Issue 3:
When I listen to music on the Android tablet using Gizmo - I have frequent pauses and I have to wait for "buffering". I realize I have huge files, but using Foobar on the windows laptop playing these huge files from network drive (wi-fi) does not cause any problems. I have a gigabit network and 6 month old router in my house.
Questions
3.1 Is there something particular in playback options or Gizmo/media server I need to set to be able listen to my music without interruptions?
3.2 Or is it a result of a large files?
3.3 Should I cut all my album images to separate tracks and re-import as separate tracks (this will be a huuuuge task)?

Issue 4:
I can somehow live with issues 1-3, but this one is the most annoying... Sometimes playback skips and jumps to another place in track without any rational reason. I was thinking that my hard drive is due, but I have two backups on different machines and on different physical Hds - same thing.
Questions
4.1 Is it again large image file + CUE related problem?
4.2 How to fix it? Is it hardware related or again I need to tweak Media Center? Using Foobar on the same track on the same machine with the same hard disk does NOT cause any problem.

As you can see - I am under impression that all my issues have the same nature and cause. I was hoping, that newer versions will resolve these issues, but I'm tired to wait and probably will look elsewhere unless there is something totally wrong on my side and requires quick & easy fix that I'm not aware of. Although Foobar has waaaaaaaaay less convenience features - the main playback feature works flawlessly and I simply was hoping Media Center can do the same.

Thank you for your hard work and a wonderful software. I would be really obliged if you can point out the user problem I probably have.
Thanks a lot.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Album Image Files + CUE Playback Numerous Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »

If there is a problem in MC18, it won't be fixed now.  MC19 is the current version.  You could try it to see if it solves any of the problems you mention.

The latest MC19 and the latest Gizmo will work together to cache files on the Android device, so pauses are less likely.

It would be helpful if you can separately test individual files and cue files, to see if the problem is only related to cue files.

Viktorus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:50:44 pm »

Thanks a lot for fast reply.

I've started to read all posts in ver19 forum.
it looks like several users already reported issues similar to mine in version 19, so buying a newer version will NOT resolve my issues.

Some links:

ISSUE 1 confirmed by another user:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87602.0

There is another post referring to more CUE-related problems:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85172

Could you at least suggest some strategy to resolve these issues?

I'm thinking about the following process:
1. Download ver19 trial and try. If at least something will be resolved - will buy ver19th
2. If item #1 will not work - will try to find ver17. Many users admit, that this version has much better CUE support.
How can I get version 17?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:59:09 pm »

See our wiki topic called "Old Versions".

Viktorus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:42:49 am »

Thanks for reply.

Let me re-phrase one of my initial questions:
What is the JRiver main recommendation or best practice for using hi-res lossless files? File per Track? Image File + CUE?

Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up