INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Mini and JRiver  (Read 5970 times)

BuchwaldSz

Mac Mini and JRiver
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »

I have been running JRiver with my Mac Mini for two weeks hooked up to a Electrocompienent streaming integrated.  It has worked fairly well but several times I have had to re-start the computer to get it to work.  Is there something I need to install (I have the Mac version already) to alleviate this problem?  I have been advised that this is most definately related to JRiver and the Mac Mini.  Please advise.

Thank you,

SB

gpeeke

• Recent member
Re: Mac Mini and JRiver
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:57:06 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a fix? I have a Mac Mini as well(used exclusively as a music server) and I have updated every new release. Still the problem exists! It will just stop playing in the middle of a song!! Then the reboot begins! Someone needs to fix this bug!

Gary,

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:21:37 pm »

hooked up to a Electrocompienent streaming integrated.

I have no idea what that is.

But, I use MC almost every day on a current-gen Mac Mini without issue.  If there is a problem, it is almost certainly something to do with your custom DAC (and its drivers) and not specific to the Mac Mini.

If you want help, though, we'll need more specifics.  Especially, precise steps that can be used to reproduce the issue, exact hardware specs, and exact versions of MC used.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BuchwaldSz

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07:01 pm »

Thanks for your response  I should confess that I am a Luddite and am relying on the advice of my vendor.  He informs that the Mac has no drivers so that is not the problem.  It would seem to me that JRiver should be able to resolve this as I am clearly not the only person having this problem. 

SB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:29:06 pm »

It will just stop playing in the middle of a song!! Then the reboot begins!
If you mean that your machine reboots because of the song stopping, that is a driver or other hardware issue.

gpeeke

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »

Jim, maybe the term should be re-start. I will be listening to music and all of a sudden the JRiver stops playing. Then I have to go to the JRiver software, close it out and open it again. It doesn't happen all the time, but I believe it should never happen?

Gary

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:47:12 pm »

Jim, maybe the term should be re-start. I will be listening to music and all of a sudden the JRiver stops playing. Then I have to go to the JRiver software, close it out and open it again. It doesn't happen all the time, but I believe it should never happen?

That should not happen, but that is quite different than (what we both thought you meant) requiring a restart of the computer.

I still don't know, at all, what this means:

hooked up to a Electrocompienent streaming integrated.

No idea what that thing is, or how it is hooked up, or anything like that.  If it is, indeed a problem they can reproduce with MC, I'm sure they'll work to correct it, but we'll need to know quite a bit more details about what you're doing (or using) that could be causing this...  As I mentioned above, I have a Mini and have no such problems.  If I'm not mistaken, it is developed (at least in-part) on a Mini.  It isn't likely to be some sort of MC > Mac Mini conflict.  It is something more specific to your setup with the Mini.

So...

1. Let's start with that crazy Electrowhatsiehoosie thingy you mentioned.  What the heck is that thing?
2. How do your speakers connect to your Mini?  Is it through that thing?  Is that thing a DAC connected to the Mini directly, or a DLNA receiver of some kind over the network, or something else entirely?
3. What special settings are you using in MC, if anything non-default?
4. If it is a network device, we'd need to know a bit more about your network setup, and what you've done to ensure you aren't just seeing common networking issues like WiFi interference or routing issues (maybe a flaky gateway).

I'd love to be able to help you, but there isn't enough actionable information in this thread to even start making guesses.

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »

Glynor,

I figured I would jump in in case the OP doesn't come back for a bit.

Electrocompaniet (Norwegian) is hifi mfr of very decent build and reputation.  He has an integrated amplifier that presumably is a DLNA streamer/renderer/player.

Something like this maybe?

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/classic/integrated/ECI_6DS

-Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 10:40:26 pm »

Glynor,

I figured I would jump in in case the OP doesn't come back for a bit.

Electrocompienent is hifi mfr of very decent build.  He has an integrated amplifier that presumably is a DLNA streamer/renderer/player.

Thanks.  I kind-of figured it was some kind of DLNA setup if he was told there were no drivers.  DLNA is a mess (not MC's support for it, but the "standard" in general).  To the OP...

We need to first confirm these details (I still want answers to my stuff above, with specifics), and make sure it isn't a more general network problem on your end.

Assuming not (and especially if more than one user of this kind of gear is having trouble), if you have a contact with the vendor of said equipment, I'm sure the JRiver folks would be happy to talk with them and try to get it sorted out.  It is possible that MC is doing something crazy that they don't expect, though (based on what I know about DLNA renderers) I'd guess it is a lot more likely that they're doing something crazy and unexpected on their end.

But, either way... DLNA streaming can be... Fiddly.

It isn't AirPlay, that's for sure.  :-\

BuchwaldSz

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:21 pm »

The Electrocompaniet eci6ds is an integrated amp with a built in Dac and streaming capability. This is not a network issue as I am also connected to Mog through Sonos and it always works.  I music files downloaded to the  Mac mini which I play using JRiver through the Electro which is what my speakers are connected to.  On several occasions, I have had to re start the Mac mini to get JRiver to run again.  In these instances JRiver did not respond which why I was told by the person who sold me the system to restart the Mac.  I am no expert in this area but he believes that this is a JRiver issue. Thanks for your help

SB

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:25:57 pm »

Thank you for the additional detail.

Next, lets check some additional things.  Read through this briefly:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

In this case, you don't need to worry too much about the Disks and Locations, or troubleshooting drivers or any of that (though running a check on your system volume in OSX is usually not a bad idea).  And you almost certainly don't need to worry about Anti-Virus or Security software (assuming you don't have something like Symantec Endpoint Protection or something work-required on the machine).  But, that guide will help you check to make sure you're running the latest build, show you how to enable Logging, and has some good general information.  Do that stuff, and then try to reproduce the issue.

Then, come back here and we want the Log package.  If you have Dropbox (or something similar) you can copy the ZIP file into Dropbox and get a public link, and then post it here so we can get it.  If you don't have something like Dropbox that you already use, you can use Wikisend to make a public link that'll expire in a few days (and Wikisend is free for files under 100MB, which it will be, and doesn't even require an account).

zorrofox

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:00:49 am »

Hello everyone. This is my first post here.

I've only just assembled everything for my audio needs. I'm using a late-2012 Mac mini running OSX Mavericks.  It's an i5 model with 16GB RAM installed. My Mac is connected via USB to an ODAC XL and the to an O2 headphone amp. This drives my AKG Q701's.

I bought & installed the Mac version of JRiver MC19. I imported my music library manually. I was having various problems setting everything up (it's a big program). Anyway during this MC19 would occasionally lock up. The only way to resume was, as others have stated, by restarting JRiver.

This morning I read advice that for the best user experience it would be preferable to use auto-import. I deleted my existing library and started from scratch. I allowed auto-import to do it's thing and got on with chores. I have some 90,000 FLAC files so it took a long time. I set it to download album art and build thumbnails at the same time. I also have it set to pre-load in memory.

Anyway, long story short, it's playing absolutely fine. No stutters, hiccups or lockups.

Hopefully that's of some help to those having problems.

AlanBstone

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 08:19:41 pm »

I was using JRiver on a Macbook with no problems.

I recently bought a Macmini form a friend and asked him to download JRiver before sending it to me.
I do get the occasional stutter on playing music that I never experienced with the Macbook.
Also please can someone tell me where I enter my code for purchase on this second piece of equipment.  There doesn't appear to be anywhere to insert it.
HELP!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 09:20:56 pm »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »

I recently bought a Macmini form a friend and asked him to download JRiver before sending it to me.
I do get the occasional stutter on playing music that I never experienced with the Macbook.

Please refer to the Troubleshooting Guide.

Especially if that was a used computer you purchased from a friend, the drives on that system could be in who knows what kind of state.  If I were purchasing a used system, I'd make sure to wipe it back to a default, clean state before using it.  But, assuming you don't want to do that, I'd certainly recommend some of the troubleshooting steps referenced in the Troubleshooting Disks section.  At the very least, run the filesystem check on the disk.  HFS+ is very susceptible to filesystem damage.

If you aren't able to resolve it with the steps outlined in the Troubleshooting Guide, please start a new thread here on the forum using the instructions there.

Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up