INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help Me Find the Tree  (Read 5880 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Please Help Me Find the Tree
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:13:46 am »

Did a reboot and the tree at the left with the navigation pane disappeared.

This has happened before and a re-install + a library reload sorts things out but all up not very festive (even though it is April Fool's Day). I've not been able to turn up Interact advice on vanishing trees, so it's time to post.

For info, prior to the reboot I did a registry clean up using jv16 PowerTools - no prizes for pointing a finger there. Before I do that again, I'll take some more care to do actions in steps to isolate issues.

In the meantime, any thoughts (aside from "don't")? Let me know if posting the log file will help.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

FastKayak

• World Citizen
Re: Please Help Me Find the Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:35 am »

On the very far left of your screen shot there are two very, very small triangles.  One is left of the word GETTING, the other is left of the word SIMPLE.  Click either triangle....it may take a couple of clicks before you hit the sweet spot.  Those triangles control whether the tree is viewable or not. 

FastKayak / Larry

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:37:21 am »

Larry, thanks for that.

I've tried to nail those pesky varmints umpteen times before, 'til I'm hollering blue murder with cuss words that get me thrown into dog house but I must have had too much coffee. I just can't seem to hit the target.

I'll try again.

For info, I did the same registry clean step on another PC with the same basic system set up but different Mobo and it rebooted fine.

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:52 am »

If you hit ALT+ENTER a couple of times to open and close the tagging pane, it should make the tree visible again.

EDIT: You may have to click somewhere in the UI other than the web page before this will work.

Your "Tag" button at the bottom may also work.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:56:10 pm »

If you hit ALT+ENTER a couple of times to open and close the tagging pane, it should make the tree visible again.

EDIT: You may have to click somewhere in the UI other than the web page before this will work.

Your "Tag" button at the bottom may also work.

I'm pretty sure I've tried this before. Regardless, had another go and have had no success.

On the very far left of your screen shot there are two very, very small triangles.  One is left of the word GETTING, the other is left of the word SIMPLE.  Click either triangle....it may take a couple of clicks before you hit the sweet spot.  Those triangles control whether the tree is viewable or not. 

FastKayak / Larry

The 2 triangles point to the left, implying to me that clicking on them would collapse the pane. I want to  do the opposite. In any case, whenever I get close to a triangle the GUI changes the pointer to a double headed arrow (as in the type used to adjust window size). This option fails on me as well.

I'm going for an uninstall / reinstall. Thanks for all the assistance.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:24:03 pm »

When on the far left and your mouse pointer becomes a two head horizontal arrow, hold down the mouse button and drag right.  This will "pull" the tree open.

FastKayak / Larry

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:24:09 pm »

Thanks Larry.

Will try that manoeuvre if/when I get the problem again.

[EDIT: I would point out that I did try to move the left hand border with the mouse button held down and I got nada. The border was stuck tight.]

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 12:02:23 am »

I'm not sure how, but it looks like the tree has somehow been set below the minimum size allowed.
When I first saw the image, I thought it was just collapsed, but the arrows pointing in the wrong direction suggests that is not the case.

Try playing with the size options (View → Size) and see if that has any effect.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 12:59:23 am »

I'm not sure how, but it looks like the tree has somehow been set below the minimum size allowed.

Yeah.  That's what it looks like to me too.  I don't know how, though.  You can't drag it to those sizes.

I'm wondering if automatic resizing from a display's resolution changing could have caused it?  You know how that can cause windows to go offscreen and other weird stuff, confusing the built-in resize logic?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 01:09:38 am »

Yeah.  That's what it looks like to me too.  I don't know how, though.  You can't drag it to those sizes.
I'm wondering if automatic resizing from a display's resolution changing could have caused it?  You know how that can cause windows to go offscreen and other weird stuff, confusing the built-in resize logic?
That's what I was thinking too.

Perhaps try enabling: Tools → Options → Tree & View → Tree → Auto size width

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 01:34:59 am »

I've been working on some of the basic pages in the Wiki a bit, and I'd started a stub for Standard View.  I'd been meaning to expand it (and it is not done by any means), but you inspired me to work on this bit, which is often fiddly for new users.

Check it out.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:54:10 am »

Thanks for the useful input you 2. Unfortunately I'll have to park this to next time (assuming it happens again because I've enabled Auto-size as recommended).

Check it out.
Will do..   ;)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 03:07:51 am »

glynor, I like what you've done.

This detail could have helped my case by giving me a baseline reference point to check with and understand what's normal behaviour. Understanding that the Wiki page is a work in progress, inclusion of a review of the Tools > Options > Tree & View settings would ultimately round things out along the lines of 6233638's suggestion.

I have had situations before where I've accidentally clicked on the vertical divider arrow. When it happened the first time, it took a long period of pain and frustration to understand the issue (the fact that the arrows are camouflaged grey didn't help). Your page with the graphic cues would have sorted me out quickly and without the aggravation. Congrats.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 06:35:36 pm »

That's what I was thinking too.

Perhaps try enabling: Tools → Options → Tree & View → Tree → Auto size width

It's happened again, dagnabit!!

The graphics hardware is HD2500 from Intel i3-3220T that's been updated to Intel's latest offering:
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics (driver 10.18.10.3496)

I've tried enabling Options > Tree & View > Tree > Auto size width as suggested and nothing changes apart from a screen flicker. Weirdly, I go back into the options setting and the check box shows as un-ticked.

For info, the configuration in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display is all default.

Any other ideas?

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:53 am »

I don't suppose you have any ideas as to what might be causing it?
Changing displays/resolution or something else?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:53 am »

Tools > Options > Startup > Show Tree

It appears to be broken. Mine is unchecked and the tree still shows at startup.

I did try both enabled and disabled, and the tree was always there at startup, even so, I wonder if yours is broken in reverse?

-marko

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 03:17:46 am »

press winkey + r type regedit hit enter and go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 19\Properties\MUI\MC: Minimum Tree Width and see what it says.
mine says 190
Sean

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 03:26:53 am »

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center\Properties\MUI\MC: Minimum Tree Width and see what it says.
mine says 190

I like how you're thinking.

I'll check that as soon as I can get access.

Thanks ..  ;)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 03:58:14 pm »

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 19\Properties\MUI\MC: Minimum Tree Width and see what it says.
mine says 190

Confirmed. My registry settings match yours....   ?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »

I'll try a different screen. Thanks for the suggestion.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:19 pm »

I'll try a different screen. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried this. No change.

Uninstalling again but it seems like an exercise in defining insanity.

Thanks for all the input

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 11:30:54 pm »

You misunderstood what he was asking.

He wasn't asking you to switch to a different monitor.  He was asking if you had any idea what triggered the issue.  Both of us suspect it may have something to do with a resolution change in Windows that occurs while MC is running (and, I'd assume, Standard View is open).  What is your display setup?  Do you have a KVM?  Does the cable route through anything else that might present Windows with a different, especially severely limited, resolution when something happens?

I've seen this kind of behavior with a variety of switches and receivers.  When the display is on, the switch is on, etc, Windows detects the proper resolution.  But when you switch away, instead of providing an intelligent "dummy" EDID to the computer on that port, it just "cuts it" (or worse, shows up as a monitor, but a 640x360 one).  I've also seen behavior like this, commonly, with lower-end projectors, and even when some TVs go to sleep.  In any case, this kind of thing forces all active elements on your screen to dramatically resize, and then resize and redraw again when you switch back.

MC should recover properly.  But... It could be broken in certain cases.  I've seen programs freak out before, and I think I've even seen MC freak out before in these kinds of conditions (not this precisely, but I know I've had it get "lost" off the edge of monitors before with sudden resolution changes).

In any case, we're trying to figure out the trigger.  My other ideas would have to do with automation things you're doing on the machine, odd (and probably font, screen element size, etc) display customizations you might have made in Windows.

If you uninstall and remove all settings (make a Library backup first, of course).  Does it go away then when you reinstall?  I guess it is nearly impossible to diagnose when you can't "fix" it again reliably.

And, just to make sure... If you get the little "top-bottom arrow type" then you should be able to click and drag the divider bar to the right, and resize it bigger.  Don't try to drag the arrows themselves, just anywhere on the bar. The directions of the Arrows should be irrelevant, you can always drag it to re-open it.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 12:44:14 am »

You misunderstood what he was asking.

He wasn't asking you to switch to a different monitor.  He was asking if you had any idea what triggered the issue.  Both of us suspect it may have something to do with a resolution change in Windows that occurs while MC is running (and, I'd assume, Standard View is open).  What is your display setup?  Do you have a KVM?  Does the cable route through anything else that might present Windows with a different, especially severely limited, resolution when something happens?

Yep - misunderstood. Display setup is default as previously explained .. and, no, I've got no idea as to the possible cause.

KVM? What one of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch
... ah, no - even though it looks useful.

To describe my setup, I've got 2 PCs both loaded with MC19 on a Win 8.1 x64 platform. Both are set up for MC in plain vanilla mode. The views are standard, the skin is standard Noire and navigation is via standard view (other views are not used except the occasional detach display). The display interface is via a Sony Bravia LCD TV. PC No. 1's display goes in to the TV's HDMI1 input via a signal splitter and seems to work just fine. The HDMI signal is split so that audio can be channeled to the HDMI-In on the amp for listening to music with the TV muted.

No. 2's display is cabled directly into the TV's HDMI2 input. There's no intermediary. No. 2 is the unit giving me grief with its MC display.

The PCs are on a network with the library of the other accessible to its brother via Tremote. No. 2 primary job is to record TV and No. 1 plays back TV recorded on No. 2, watches video and is used for audio playback. I've also got Team Viewer on the PCs so that I can remote in and work on No. 2 from a laptop, while my beloved watches No. 1 (sometimes streaming video/TV from No. 2).

Given the info above, I do switch between 1 and 2 and back again via the TV's function to select the required video/audio input.

That's pretty well all i can think of right now.

I've done the reinstall, the tree's back, so we'll see how long it goes before it goes birko again.

I can't double check this now but I can assure you that I grabbed at the left hand border in multiple spots and tried to drag it right, multiple times.

Thanks for all your help. Appreciated. Always good value because there are gems of explanation that help paint a picture of understanding.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 01:10:27 am »

Have you tried swapping the input on the TV as in connect the problem PC to HDMI 1.
Long shot but what do you have Control Panel/Display/Make it easier to read what's on your screen set to. Smaller - 100% (default)?
You could investigate using MonInfo on each PC and see if the EDID is being reported the same for each input.
Are the different HDMI inputs listed as having different features for example one of my TVs has inputs labeled as HDMI in 1(DVI), HDMI in 2(ARC), and HDMI in 3(MHL)
Sean

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 01:43:30 am »

Have you tried swapping the input on the TV as in connect the problem PC to HDMI 1.
Long shot but what do you have Control Panel/Display/Make it easier to read what's on your screen set to. Smaller - 100% (default)?
You could investigate using MonInfo on each PC and see if the EDID is being reported the same for each input.
Are the different HDMI inputs listed as having different features for example one of my TVs has inputs labeled as HDMI in 1(DVI), HDMI in 2(ARC), and HDMI in 3(MHL)

Thanks Scolex. All good points to check. I'm on my way to grab a feed of Indian before a Rugby match, so this will have to wait.. ;)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 05:26:26 am »

I've had a repeat performance. I'd just updated to Build 126, did a registry clean [is this a problem I'm creating for myself?] and rebooted (didn't mean to do that because I'd forgotten about a TV recording job).

Switched inputs - no change to MC - but I did get a message flash up in the pop up area saying the resolution setting was off (I should have taken a photo) and it mentioned 2560x1600. Then a message flashed up in the middle of the screen (1st attachment).

Looked at Control Panel > Display ... looks plain vanilla to me (2nd attachment).

Ran MonInfo. Reports attached (items 3 and 4). Not sure what I'm looking for exactly but the data appears same-same. The entries where EDID is mentioned is the same to my eye.

Checked the manual and the i-manual. The only difference that I could find between HDMI ports is that HDMI 1 is suitable for ARC - Audio Return Channel: http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/bravia_i-manuals/GA/en/hx800/asystem_aepga.html
but I don't see how that's applicable (is it?).

Further thoughts?

[EDIT: PS - the curry was fantastic as always but my team missed a drop goal attempt to draw the game at the final siren. It was a hard game to watch.]

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 07:34:21 am »

did a registry clean [is this a problem I'm creating for myself?]

Wait... What are you doing?  Just in case: Registry Cleaners == Terrible steaming piles of fail.

Switched inputs - no change to MC - but I did get a message flash up in the pop up area saying the resolution setting was off (I should have taken a photo) and it mentioned 2560x1600. Then a message flashed up in the middle of the screen (1st attachment).

This seems suspicious.

What is your desktop resolution set to?  It shouldn't be showing that message unless you're running at a non-native resolution.  That message in the first attachment is saying that you ARE NOT, but SHOULD BE running at 1080p.

Why are you not running at 1080p?  What do you have the desktop resolution set to?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 08:32:50 am »

Wait... What are you doing?  Just in case: Registry Cleaners == Terrible steaming piles of fail.

I knew this would get me on the naughty list.. dang!

This seems suspicious.
.. not 'alf mate.

What is your desktop resolution set to?  It shouldn't be showing that message unless you're running at a non-native resolution.  That message in the first attachment is saying that you ARE NOT, but SHOULD BE running at 1080p.

Why are you not running at 1080p?  What do you have the desktop resolution set to?

I thought I was running at 1080p. I haven't tweaked the display settings one bit. Updated the Intel display driver to the latest deal a while ago and haven't touched it (I swear). Also, all the display configuration controls that I can eyeball max out at 1920 x 1080, so it's beyond me how I could inadvertently go beyond that setting.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »

Did you get the new intel driver through windows update or intel site.
I would go into device manager and roll back the graphics driver to see if it solves things especially if you didn't get it through WU.
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up