INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lip Sync Strange Issue  (Read 3118 times)

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
Lip Sync Strange Issue
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:48:45 pm »

Hi all,

So I read through many threads and thought I understood pretty well how to fix Lip Sync using tools, options, Video -> advanced and changing the values in ms to offset the latency caused by say ASIO audio driver buffers etc.

Well, the strange thing is that it works perfectly for movies like Cars 3D, Planes 3D, Immortals 3D.  My DAC buffer is 512 samples so I used 36ms and it was perfect.

However, most of my other movies (all are blu rays ripped to hard drive) absolutely refuse to lip sync and no matter what I set it too it is almost as if it's ignoring me.  I have tried from 200 to -200 and didn't see any difference with these specific movies which happens to be most of my movies.

The reason for all of this is for my 3D blu ray playback I have the following setup:

TMT6 --> Virtual Cable -->  JRiver ASIO driver -->  Dirac Live Processor --> e28 DAC.

Anything I play in JRiver is in perfect sync.  Also as stated above, movies like Cars 3D, Immortals 3D etc. I can set for the proper 512samples offset (36ms) and it's perfect.

However, movies like oblivion, man of steel, king kong etc. absolutely refuse to let me lip sync them.

When I play these movies that are refusing to lip sync, in 2D through JRiver only, the lip sync is not an issue.  It's flawless.  Yet, even if I try to do a 2D version from TMT6 through the above chain the lip sync issues remain.  So it's not an issue of 3D or 2D, it something to do with the movies themselves.

What is causing this to happen?

EDIT - I should have mentioned that in all cases, it's the video that comes before audio.  I see their mouths move and later the audio catches up.**

Thanks!
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Lip Sync Strange Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:22:51 am »

I still haven't found a solution for this.
16GB RAM

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 11:47:12 am »

If I understand this correctly, you are using Media Center for 2D Blu-ray playback, and Arcsoft TMT6 for 3D Blu-ray playback via a loopback connection.

The lip-sync correction option will only work for video playback inside Media Center. So you need to set that based on 2D playback.
I'm not sure if the lip-sync option works when bitstreaming audio. As you're using Dirac I assume that you are not bitstreaming anyway, but you should check that as well.

The loopback connection introduces additional latency on the audio side of things, so you will have to adjust the lip-sync for 3D playback inside Arcsoft TMT6 with a negative correction to bring it into sync.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:09:53 am »

I just returned from being out of the country and ready to try to fix this again as it's still happening.  I don't see any options within TMT6 that allow me to adjust lip sync.  Do you know where or how that can be done in TMT6?

I am going to play with this today and see if I can get some better results.
16GB RAM

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:37:10 pm »

If there are no options to adjust lip-sync in TMT6, I'm not sure that it's possible to fix this, as that's where the problem lies.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:12:29 am »

So I finally worked through this and what I was able to do is correct for the issue within JRiver, but strangely, if I pause the movie, the lip sync issues happen again.  If I skip chapters it happens again.  So what I can do and see right nwo is this:

1.  I start the movie with JRiver at 0ms delay offset.

2.  While the movie is playing I change the setting to 40, for 24hz.  This pretty much syncs most of my movies.

3.  Now if I pause the movie to go to the bathroom and come back and hit play, the lip sync is now wrong again.

So now I can either:

1.  Put the setting back to 0ms.

2.  Restart the movie.

3.  Resetup the lip sync in JRiver to 40.

OR

1.  Go into JRiver while the movie is still playing and add or subtract a value from the lip sync correction (maybe setting to 80 works, sometimes going back to 0 works).

So it seems I can get it to work, but it does not allow me to stop or pause anything without consequences.  And TMT has absolutely no way to adjust lip sync within itself.

Any ideas or have I pretty much solved the best I am going to get?

Thanks
16GB RAM

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:46:18 am »

I'm not sure whether you've been here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/VideoClock

It only works if MC is playing the video.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »

Thanks Jim, I read that but I didn't see anything that would help me with 3D movies.  Which is why I am using TMT6 for that and trying to bring it back into MC.  I have never had one lip sync issue ever using only MC with 2D movies.

I did try launching TMT6 from MC but it only resulted in 2 channel audio for me and wouldn't actually output through MC.  So perhaps I did something wrong, but I have never found "clear and understandable" instructions on how to properly set that up.

Is there a law or legal issue that prevents JRiver from wanting to get into playing 3D or is it just to much development and not really felt worth the headache?  I was just curious because if it's not illegal, but JRiver staff just don't want to code it, why not put instructions on the JRiver wiki instructions area on how to properly make it work with say TMT6?  Seems like many people would benefit from this but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks
16GB RAM

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »

Is there a law or legal issue that prevents JRiver from wanting to get into playing 3D or is it just to much development and not really felt worth the headache?  I was just curious because if it's not illegal, but JRiver staff just don't want to code it, why not put instructions on the JRiver wiki instructions area on how to properly make it work with say TMT6?  Seems like many people would benefit from this but maybe I am missing something.
It's a lot of work for something that few people use. Some television manufacturers have even started removing 3D support from their 2014 displays.

Playback appears to be working correctly via TMT6 from the sound of it, though there are lip-sync issues because it does not seem to have the option to adjust audio sync.

If your setup requires a negative correction - which seems to be the issue here - it is only possible for the player to do that.
Anything which happens further down the chain can only increase the delay, it cannot reduce it.

So the issue lies with TMT6 and not Media Center.
You need to complain to them about the lack of a lip-sync option, or find a player which will do 3D Blu-ray which does have this option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up