INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Windows: The Bucket Strikes Back! (warning--long |PLS| big pix)  (Read 1398 times)

Severian

Couple of weeks ago there was a discussion about the possibility of a 2-window or multi-paned interface, which eventually led to the wish list item "Pane Relievers". When last I checked, that was still tied at #3 for most requested on the Wish List. Other discussions about the world domination of MJ have also had a minor theme running through them about improving the interface. In the 2-windows thread there was reference made to an earlier thread discussing the same thing, and JRiver Matt brought up the idea of a "bucket" that functioned as a drop target, would that be good as an alternative? The general tone of the thread seemed to be that it wouldn't.

On reading that, though, I didn't understand why. When I was talking about a 2nd window, this bucket thing was pretty much what I had in mind, if I was reading Matt correctly. I thought the bucket was kind of getting a bad rap as a concept, so I decided to put together the following screenshots to see if anybody else thought the same thing, and to provide a jumping-off point for more ideas about it for the eventual world domination of MJ. Et cetera.

Couple of disclaimers: These are just cobbled together from various pieces of other windows, so I didn't attempt any accuracy with the numbers depicted, before anybody helpfully points that out. I'm also aware of the graphical screwups, thanks for pointing that out too.

These are presented purely speculatively and without regard to how difficult it might be to actually do. I have no idea how difficult it would be to do. Considering I have a tough enough time not turning into Mr. Hyde when a client asks me for another radio button on a screen, my assumption is that it would be very difficult indeed. These shots and this text are all from Severian's Fantasy Software Development Kit, which produces bug-free software as soon as the interface idioms are thought up (Patent Pending). If things were as easy to do as they are to say, I'd be rich and the CIA would be figuring out how to extract what was left of bin Laden from the charred remains of his turban.

Anyway, here's the shots. In the first one, from an open tree in MJ 8.x or 9.x, the user, me, had previously been on the Media Library, so that the main window was showing all files in it. From there, I went to the External node of the Nomad on the tree and right-clicked on the node, which resulted in the following shot:

...the "New Window From Here" option, just like you see it in the standard Microsoft Management Console. In the real MJ right now you only get a menu with "Format" as the sole option, but I was illustrating that for every node you right clicked on you'd get a context-sensitive menu the way you do now, with the New Window option where it was relevant. Obviously on some nodes, it wouldn't be. The main node of the Nomad, for example, for those of you who don't have one (and you're probably better for it, in some respects, I have to say), would not have that option on its context menu because it doesn't make any sense. You can't do anything meaningful with the Nomad until you've targeted a specific memory location. And, of course, "Help" wouldn't be such a bad thing to have all over the place either.

I chose this node because it's the feature I'd use most often if this actually existed, and I'm selfish like that. More about what other nodes might produce after the next shot. In this next shot I have clicked on New Window From Here and it produces the following result.

And there it is--the bucket. Some notes on how the bucket actually works in fantasyland:

--The window is of the class sometimes referred to as the 'sizable toolwindow', in which it's possible to resize or close it, but not to minimize or maximize it. Whether this should or should not happen I leave for discussion, but those abilities would require an overhaul of the rest of the mega-me interface idiom and I wanted to show something that seemed to be able to be bolted on to the interface idiom as it exists now.

--The z-order, or order in which things appear front to back, works like so: The bucket window always appears in front of MJ exactly the way that the CD rip window does right now. You can move it all over the place, even outside the bounds of the MJ parent window, but they're chained together such that when MJ gets the focus, the child window is up front.

--You could open multiple node windows like this if you're into it. When that happens, whichever child window gets the focus comes to the front, but the parenting and z-order still works the same way. No other application windows are able to insert themselves into the stack between MJ and its child windows. If there are multiple child windows open and one in the back is used as a drop target from one in the front, the drop target doesn't automatically come to the front--for it to come to the front it has to be deliberately focused on with a click or keyboard shortcut. Standard Windows behavior.

--The actual bucket contents and controls are different for each node. If I'd had the time I would have made a playlist bucket, because I suspect that's what most people really want. But essentially you'd see different kinds of controls on each window that were appropriate to the function being performed. I can imagine that if you New Windowed a playlist, the bucket would be basically just the list. In fantasyland the bucket window for playlists would also appear with an honest-to-god toolbar in it that had buttons for functions appropriate to playlists: Export, Rename, and what have you. I can also imagine something like Doof's Ultimate Playing Now could be done like this. I'd just love to snap off those playback controls and float those while I screw around in the other areas of MJ too.

--When a node is New Windowed, MJ's main window goes back to another default node that isn't able to be New Windowed. Media Library, perhaps. The node that you got the bucket from should maybe be greyed or iconed so that the user can no longer activate its contents, which saves the user and the programmer from some godawful synchronization issues, and prevents dumb things from happening like basically allowing the bucket and main window to be self-referential drop targets and having evilness ensue, and/or a bunch of code to prevent that.

So, what I'd do in this specific example is drop my tracks onto the Nomad and hit upload. With this idiom, I could potentially fill my Nomad and be on my merry way in a right click, a left click, a drag select, a drag/drop, and a click of the Upload button. Gosh THAT would sure be nice.

Now, this is a badly designed bucket window. Why? Because we already know (and now you know, if you didn't) that it's not really possible to reorder tracks that are already on the Nomad. Just another marvelous feature of the device, frankly. Laying out the window in this way implies that you could drop tracks anywhere in the list, and that ain't gonna happen. What I should have done was depict something like two panes, where the lower one shows what's on the Nomad and the upper one is the drop target that can be reordered and dropped to.

What I found most interesting as I laid this out was that, even with such a small example window, look at how much space isn't being used effectively inside of it. The "In Queue" column would be removed if we made In Queue the top pane, the drop target.  The column for "Handheld Path" is now completely worthless. Like duh, we know that we're looking at the external store for the Nomad, thank you title bar. So there's no need to clutter it up with other stuff.

Similarly the Available Size pane is being completely underused, as is the status line at the bottom. I could probably have moved the Available Size stats to the status bar, and done away with the pane, then repositioned the buttons, or made them a toolbar as I suggested earlier. No need to clutter it up with meaningless statistics, either, like the actual memory card size--if I don't know that, I'm a moron--or the total memory on both the Nomad stores, also valueless when targeting a specific store. What I want to know is how much space I've got now and how much I will have after upload. I could get those other stats, if they turn me on, from the main Nomad node in the main window and see both at once with this idiom.

So, whaddya think?

--Severian

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:2 Windows: The Bucket Strikes Back! (warning--long |PLS| big pix)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 04:42:02 am »

Wow, thanks for taking the time to make and post this.

We played with a split-window setup a lot when designing 8, but popup windows just weren't very friendly and our "dowdy" interface got more so when trying to show 3 views instead of 2.

Our solution was the drop target / send to system.  The little target basically is a compact 3rd view.

We're late in the development of 8, so we won't be able to make a 3-view or popup-window based system this time around.  However, if there are less drastic changes we can make so that the drop target / send to system is more usable, we'd love to hear 'em.

Thanks again.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Michael Horton

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 05:14:57 am »

i'd been against the idea of additional open windows from the outset--until now that I see what could be accoumplished with these buckets, and that they don't have to be unwieldy and intrusive

outstanding job severian!!!

one person's opinion

Michael

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 06:48:34 am »

The only thing that the current drop target can't do that the bucket can, is to offer the ability to simultaneously add files to a playlist/device and specify its position within that playlist/device.

This statement is not meant to detract from the bucket idea, but to praise the current drop target.

If the current drop target could be made to somehow allow this one thing, then all would be well, I think.

How about something like this?

Not sure how well you can see what I'm getting at, but it basically would be a drop down menu that pops out of the Drop Target whenever something is dragged onto it. It would work the same way the Start Menu in later versions of Windows does, in that it allows you to drag things around inside the menu. I actually borrowed that menu graphic from a "My Music" toolbar that I added to my task bar in XP.

How workable would something like that be? And would something like that address the issues that have been brought up?

LCtheDJ

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 07:57:14 am »

I can see that much thought and effort has gone into this subject, and the illustrations are great and help me to visualize your view of the subject.

I would however like to point out that one drawback of the bucket/floating window is that the bucket obscures view of the underlying data.  Multiple panes wouldn't do this.  It seems to me that buckets/floating windows defeat the purpose behind the original request.  We want to be able to see both the source and target areas for moving/copying tracks by drag and drop.

You just can't drag and drop to an area you can't see.  Without seeing both source and target at the same time, I think the next best fix would be to use cut/copy and paste.

I don't have time right now, but I'll get together my own graphic of how I envision the interface of the future.  In the meantime, have a look here at the kind of interface that's been influencing my preferences.

http://www.5star-shareware.com/Utilities/screenshots/powerdesk.gif

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2002, 08:30:24 am »

LCtheDJ> In my idea above, the target would not obscure the view of the source. That menu would only appear when you dragged a file(s) onto the drop target.

Picture it like this... you select the playlist you want from the drop target. You then drag a file onto it. If you do this quickly it simply gets dropped to the end of the list. If you pause for a second, though, the menu appears, showing the current contents of the playlist. You then drag your file(s) through the list and drop them where you want them. The menu then dissapears.

Severian

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2002, 09:27:57 am »

I think Doof's idea has some merit. Would Matt care to weigh in on its feasibility? Seems to me like the way a lot of HTML layers work--mouseover triggers it, then it hangs around and you operate on it until you click off of it. 'Course this isn't HTML.

Regarding the obscuring of content, this is partially true, dependent on your total screen resolution and real estate. With this bucket/window/whatever it is, it doesn't have to cover up your content at all. As I mentioned, the bucket would theoretically work just like the CD rip window works now. You can move the window completely off of MJ and your content. I only illustrated it sitting on top of the content for convenience of posting the graphic. Hell, move it onto another monitor if you want. Go nuts.

I don't disparage the pane idea--it's better than what's happening now, no doubt--but I think both from a usability and a mathematical standpoint, you would find out very quickly that the separate window would provide more use flexibility and more square area real estate than the panes do. Resizing a bunch of subpanes can get like wrestling with a pile of rubber bands, and I would doubt that the majority of use cases would work out to be viewing more than two things at a time--their drag source and their drop target. Most of the time you'd want to keep the drop target static and switch your drag source frequently, and getting the idiom in place to switch the right pane to view the right drag source could be, well, a pain. I can imagine the four panes adding value in certain situations, but I'd guess those would be the exception and not the rule.

One of my favorite parts of the bucket idea is that these windows could have controls on them, buttons, et cetera, that have the relevant functions close at hand, which are also absent from the current drop target concept.  With panes, I'm hard pressed to think of any Windows apps that use panes that provide toolbars or anything of that functional nature, because panes are most often used to depict more views of the same thing, and in this case we're actually talking not about different views, but whole different functions (create playlist, upload to player, burn CD, etc). I think when you make that step, when what looks like a "pane" gets its own toolbar and things like that, you've actually just stepped into MDI (multi-document interface) programming, for all intents and purposes.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2002, 05:43:50 pm »

Ok, just so the Pro-Pane side gets a chance for viewing, here's something I threw together in a hurry.  The panes are resized the same way they are now, just slide the divider bar over whichever way you want.  There are only two of them unless you have the vis window open too like this illustration does.

You select from the tree on the left what you want displayed on the right - it could be anything that is available on the tree.  In this example I have the Media Library open on the bottom so I can drag and drop onto my Playing Now list.

I haven't posted a picture before, so if the image doesn't come up here, I'll try again later when the Neoboard Help is online.

Severian

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2002, 07:35:29 pm »

Cool, lookit that! Think it needs better music displayed in the main panes though Next Page

Severian

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2002, 08:43:09 pm »

...and that "Pro-Pane", I just love that as a name. We need to come up with something as catchy for Doof's idea, the drop target on steroids.
Pages: [1]   Go Up