INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sizing Problem  (Read 2364 times)

leoric

• World Citizen
Sizing Problem
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:05:09 am »

MC looks weird on my new shiny Yoga 2 Pro with 3200*1800. With the default sizing (100%) icons are extremely small, with 200% - most icons still somewhat small, but text is too large (see the attached screenshot).
Windows option to disable HiDPI scaling turned on, because it only adds a few more issues to the picture.
Sorry guys, I'm not buying this until it all looks fine again.

• Citizen of the Universe
Sizing Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:14:45 am »

MC looks weird on my new shiny Yoga 2 Pro with 3200*1800. With the default sizing (100%) icons are extremely small, with 200% - most icons still somewhat small, but text is too large (see the attached screenshot).
Windows option to disable HiDPI scaling turned on, because it only adds a few more issues to the picture.
Sorry guys, I'm not buying this until it all looks fine again.
This is because Media Center's font settings are being scaled up with Windows' scale, but nothing else is.
If Windows is at 200% set the font size to half of what it is right now for it to look right. (Tools → Options → Tree & View → Advanced → Select Font…)
You may have to restart Media Center after making this change though.

I suppose this is a bug that should be addressed. Either Media Center should follow the Windows scaling settings, or ignore them entirely.
I think I would actually prefer the latter.

leoric

• World Citizen
Re: Sizing Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:07:45 pm »

This is because Media Center's font settings are being scaled up with Windows' scale, but nothing else is.
If Windows is at 200% set the font size to half of what it is right now for it to look right. (Tools → Options → Tree & View → Advanced → Select Font…)
You may have to restart Media Center after making this change though.
Have you tried this recipe? I have changed font size from 22 to 11, it improved the appearance, but on MC restart it set the size back to 22.
Also some icons are still tiny, including expand/collapse triangles in the tree and icons in the Options dialog.

I suppose this is a bug that should be addressed. Either Media Center should follow the Windows scaling settings, or ignore them entirely.
I think I would actually prefer the latter.
Plus it would be good to read the DPI setting from Windows and set the skin sizing accordingly (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn280510(v=vs.85).aspx).

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »

Have you tried this recipe? I have changed font size from 22 to 11, it improved the appearance, but on MC restart it set the size back to 22.
Yes, it seemed to solve the problem for me for the brief period when I was using a device set to 200% size. (Surface Pro 2)

However, setting Windows' size to anything above 100% does not seem to be affecting Media Center's size on my desktop machine.
I wonder if it's going by the device's "native" DPI, rather than what has been set.

Is this a client by any chance? (connecting to another library) If it is, I suspect the reason it's returning to 22 is because it's set by the server.
If not a client, try setting it to 6 instead of 11.

Also some icons are still tiny, including expand/collapse triangles in the tree and icons in the Options dialog.
You need to restart MC for everything to be scaled up correctly - which you obviously can't do due to the issue above.

Plus it would be good to read the DPI setting from Windows and set the skin sizing accordingly (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn280510(v=vs.85).aspx).
I would have agreed with you until I actually had a display which was natively set to 200% size.
Everything was far too big, and I had to reduce it to about 125% to balance the amount of content I could view with the size of everything on the screen.

leoric

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »

Yes, it seemed to solve the problem for me for the brief period when I was using a device set to 200% size. (Surface Pro 2)

However, setting Windows' size to anything above 100% does not seem to be affecting Media Center's size on my desktop machine.
I wonder if it's going by the device's "native" DPI, rather than what has been set.

Is this a client by any chance? (connecting to another library) If it is, I suspect the reason it's returning to 22 is because it's set by the server.
If not a client, try setting it to 6 instead of 11.
You need to restart MC for everything to be scaled up correctly - which you obviously can't do due to the issue above.
Setting 6 helped with fonts, thanks. However, the icons I mentioned previously still tiny, even after restart.

I would have agreed with you until I actually had a display which was natively set to 200% size.
Everything was far too big, and I had to reduce it to about 125% to balance the amount of content I could view with the size of everything on the screen.
Sorry, I don't get it. So you are saying that you had to decrease OS DPI to 125% to make it look better, right? After it, you, probably, also changed MC's scaling to 125%? My point is that if there were an automatic mode in MC that takes the scaling value from OS, you hadn't do the change in two places.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:46:44 pm »

Setting 6 helped with fonts, thanks. However, the icons I mentioned previously still tiny, even after restart.
Scaling is a fairly recent addition, and currently incomplete. I guess that's another bug.

Sorry, I don't get it. So you are saying that you had to decrease OS DPI to 125% to make it look better, right? After it, you, probably, also changed MC's scaling to 125%? My point is that if there were an automatic mode in MC that takes the scaling value from OS, you hadn't do the change in two places.
No - I had to use the OS at 200% because most things (unrelated to Media Center) were too small to use, but I set Media Center to 125%.
Media Center set to 200% did not leave enough space to properly navigate my library because the rest of the UI took up so much space.

So I would definitely not want it to use the same scale as the OS.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »

If you haven't done so, try the Noire skin.

leoric

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:11:48 pm »

If you haven't done so, try the Noire skin.
I have. All the issues I've mentioned - with Noire.

leoric

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:13:40 pm »

No - I had to use the OS at 200% because most things (unrelated to Media Center) were too small to use, but I set Media Center to 125%.
Media Center set to 200% did not leave enough space to properly navigate my library because the rest of the UI took up so much space.

So I would definitely not want it to use the same scale as the OS.
I see. Well, to me it sounds like MC needs its scaling to be more in line with the OS's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up