INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP4 and M4A in MC 19?  (Read 2647 times)

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
MP4 and M4A in MC 19?
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »

Mistakenly downloaded some AIFF/M4A tracks instead of FLAC so trying to get this format sounding good. Currently there is some background white noise so figured it may be due to using the Quick time default.

Downloaded and installed CCCP and DC-Bass Source filters, but now what?

Trying to follow this Wiki article but cant find the menu option listed below "DirectShow Playback Settings"

Then you also need to tell MC to use DirectShow (rather than Quicktime) to play these file types back. Simply go to Tools --> Options --> Playback --> DirectShow Playback Settings and check M4A and/or MP4 in the DirectShow Filters list.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support

Suggestions on getting those DirectShow filters available and configured in JRMC19?

And how can I see which method of playback is used?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MP4 and M4A in MC 19?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:59:57 pm »

There is no need to install DirectShow codec packs with Media Center - everything you need is already built in.
The formats you have listed should work without any problems with the JRiver audio engine. (just leave playback method set to automatic)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »

Mistakenly downloaded some AIFF/M4A tracks instead of FLAC so trying to get this format sounding good.

If FLAC is how you'd prefer to work, why not just do a convert?
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Convert_Format
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:13:42 pm »

Then you also need to tell MC to use DirectShow (rather than Quicktime) to play these file types back. Simply go to Tools --> Options --> Playback --> DirectShow Playback Settings and check M4A and/or MP4 in the DirectShow Filters list.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support

Sorry.  That page is quite old (was written, by me, for MC12).  I just marked it as deprecated.

MPEG-4 decoding and playback, including M4A, is now built-in.  It is a full-class citizen, and works essentially like MP3, APE, FLAC, and the other major audio formats that MC supports out of the box.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

There is no need to install DirectShow codec packs with Media Center - everything you need is already built in.
The formats you have listed should work without any problems with the JRiver audio engine. (just leave playback method set to automatic)

Tried that several times. Won't play m4a.
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:08:40 pm »

Tried that several times. Won't play m4a.

Could you send me a sample that won't play?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:14:25 pm »

Sounds like the file may be DRM protected.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:18:31 pm »

If FLAC is how you'd prefer to work, why not just do a convert?
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Convert_Format

Tried that instead, since I could not get m4a to play.
Thanks.
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 03:28:45 pm »

Could you send me a sample that won't play?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.

Will do Matt.
Thank you.
Adrian

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 04:11:12 pm »

It's strange because the M4A file you sent is playing no problems for me in Media Center.

Tips?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:05:39 pm »

It plays fine in Player, not in WDTV (my media player).

I don't know why MC19 said the album was converted to FLAC but it isn't.

I also don't know (lots of things!) if it has any bearing that I am using a midget- an Intel Atom powered Gigabyte netbook with Win7 Starter- and using Chrome

I switched to my i5 Win Pro laptop and the m4a played fine. Oddly though the track showed up on the Gigabyte as mp3 as I was playing- from the laptop's C drive, not the Seagate external drive plugged into the Gigabyte.
 ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »

Check the settings for conversion in MC's Media Network for the DLNA Server being used.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:29 pm »

Sounds like the file may be DRM protected.

This is very familiar. When I first installed the trial version of MC19 whenever an old Itunes download file would get into the playlist and the song came up it would stop MC in its tracks and when I tried going to the next song would hang up (and if I remember correctly with some sort of message saying I needed Quicktime installed) and MC would need to be shut down with task manager and restarted. It turned out that there were about 20 songs in my entire library that were old downloads from Apple when everything was protected. Once I deleted those, JRiver ran like a well lubed machine!

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 03:50:57 pm »

Check the settings for conversion in MC's Media Network for the DLNA Server being used.

Changed to convert when necessary if that's what you meant.

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 03:53:54 pm »

This is very familiar. When I first installed the trial version of MC19 whenever an old Itunes download file would get into the playlist and the song came up it would stop MC in its tracks and when I tried going to the next song would hang up (and if I remember correctly with some sort of message saying I needed Quicktime installed) and MC would need to be shut down with task manager and restarted. It turned out that there were about 20 songs in my entire library that were old downloads from Apple when everything was protected. Once I deleted those, JRiver ran like a well lubed machine!

I've not had that message- and have never bought/downloaded from iTunes. Ripped that particular cd.

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 03:58:14 pm »

MC19 has "fallen over" often ito connecting to my WDTV. Figured the netbook's little processor may be a factor so now I close JRiver instead of leaving it on. Off topic I know.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »

Try converting to something you know the device will play.

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 04:27:34 pm »

Try converting to something you know the device will play.

I did. FLAC. As mentioned MC said the conversion was successful but the files remain m4a.
The dvice plays m4a
Pages: [1]   Go Up