INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line-in Recording  (Read 851 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Line-in Recording
« on: February 18, 2002, 04:44:58 pm »

After more than a year with MJ, I finally decided to tackle line-in recording. I finally got the bugs with my sound card worked out ... the "line in" jack wouldn't work so I had to use "mic" and turn off the internal boost. I got it worked out and it makes a fine sounding recording. I have read and re-read Line-In Recording Tips and have come to this impasse:

First, a quote from the "Tips" - use the Track Names button in the recorder window to enter the names and durations of the tracks to be recorded

My "Tracks" button is grayed out and doesn't work.  AND I don't know if this is related or even a problem but my only option under Recorder Settings for "Recorder Source" is "Mixer" and "Recording Device" is greyed out.

Suggestions?

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JollyJim

RE:Line-in Recording
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 02:08:47 am »

Hiya Matey

My recording device is also greyed out but I've got mic, line-in, cd audio and mixer available under the Recording Source, which, I guess is something like you should have. If you double click the speaker icon in the sys tray, do you get the 'mixer' displayed? If so, do you have line-in checked as the recording source? It also seems that line-in has to be available on the playback side of the mixer for it to work - a trifle confusing. If you can't get anywhere with that little combination, try checking the stereo mixer as the recording source (by the way, I've been able to record streaming audio using the stereo mixer as recording source). I dunno why your tracks etc are greyed out. My method of recording from vinyl, especially lp's, is to check the 'wait for sound before recording' in options and then enter the track names. Start recording the first track and MJ will start when appropriate. At the end of the first track, press stop recording. When you're ready for the next track, start the deck up(actually, you can just leave it running) and MJ will start up again as appropriate. I don't bother with trying to split tracks or enter track lengths. If you don't pre-name the tracks, you can get into a mess as to where the output has gone and then it's gotta be moved and renamed.
I expect you've already tried re-installs and checking on sound drivers etc and I'm sorry I can't help much more than that.
Good luck - Jim

Xstatic

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 03:35:16 am »

Is the Tracks button also greyed out _before_ attempting to record?

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 01:57:07 pm »

Jolly Jim,
I think I've done all that. I'll do it again to make sure.
Thanks

Xstatic,

>> Is the Tracks button also greyed out _before_ attempting to record? <<

Yes.
That's right.
I'm cool.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 04:06:17 pm »

Here's something interesting. I downloaded the new APE encoder update and when I checked in "recording" , the TRACKS was functional. I don't know if it was the update, the fact that the update switched me from "fast" mode to "normal" mode or that I closed and then reopened MJ that did it or something completely different but recording works as it should now.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2002, 06:03:44 am »

Charlemagne-

Are you still only getting "mixer" under recording source? This isn't right. Email me at johnt@jriver.com and I'll send you a diagnostic program to shed some light on this.

Thanks,
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2002, 05:00:36 am »

JohnT,
Check your E-mail.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.