INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound problem.  (Read 1674 times)

russe41

• Recent member
Sound problem.
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:50:04 pm »

When jriver is started I seem to get clicking or a gargling singer. If I stop then reset it seems to go away.

If this is a setting mistake please advise so I can make my playback experience a joyful one. This can be disheartening as I want it to work and maybe upgrading will help, anyone have similar issues?

Also, will JRiver 19 fix any issues?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »

Please try the setup page on our wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:14:50 pm »

I made said page somewhat better tonight.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:53:06 pm »

Thank you.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:05:35 pm »

I made said page somewhat better tonight.

Reads well and I like the way it's pitched at a user starting out with a view to getting the basics right first.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:58:32 pm »

Reads well and I like the way it's pitched at a user starting out with a view to getting the basics right first.

The basic idea of that page has been there for quite some time, but some of it was outdated.  I mostly was doing cleanup, though I added a fair bit of new detail as well (particularly on pages that "touch" that page).  I actually just finished tweaked it a bit further and added OSX info.

By the way...

Also, will JRiver 19 fix any issues?

It may very well.  The Audio configuration in MC19 has been dramatically simplified and refined.  It now automatically selects the optimum Audio Output Mode by default for each device, and refines many of the special options needed for more esoteric audio devices.

In general, all most users need to do with MC19 is select their Audio Output device as shown in the guide Jim linked to above, and it will take care of the rest.  Of course, this is still Media Center, so you can tweak to your heart's content.  But getting it working, and working well, is now much simpler.

russe41

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:06:42 pm »

From what I can tell its set up as my version should be, what does work is when it has the clicking or gargling sound is just pause or stop and start again, this almost always corrects it. The main reason for the question I guess is, If I upgrade to 19 are these issues fixed or still present?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:50:59 pm »

From what I can tell its set up as my version should be, what does work is when it has the clicking or gargling sound is just pause or stop and start again, this almost always corrects it. The main reason for the question I guess is, If I upgrade to 19 are these issues fixed or still present?

What version and build of MC are you currently on?

If I were in your shoes, I'd like to see stable operation with the version to hand first, using the latest build, before jumping across. Also, how do you know for sure that the software is the issue? From casual observation and experience, more often than not hardware and firmware are the issue.

You've confirmed that you've applied the Wiki advice but you haven't confirmed what state your OS and hardware are in.

What troubleshooting can you do by, say, trying a different input method between the audio source and your amp/receiver?

If you offered more detail, you'd probably get better quality advice that will most likely be of more use.

If you do get to the point where testing the latest software version makes sense, you do know that you could take advantage of the 30 day trial, don't you?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:09:54 pm »

The main reason for the question I guess is, If I upgrade to 19 are these issues fixed or still present?

That's a silly question:
http://www.jriver.com/download.html

Try it.  Find out for sure.  We don't know because we don't have that problem.

As to what is happening with your audio output...

I seem to get clicking or a gargling singer. If I stop then reset it seems to go away.

That absolutely sounds like a problem with that could likely be solved, now, by tweaking the settings in your current copy of MC18 under Tools > Options > Audio.  I'm not running MC18 anymore, and stuff has moved around, so I can't tell you precisely where, and besides... Without knowing more about your setup, it is very difficult to guess about what might be going wrong.  Those kinds of issues are usually:

* Using the wrong Audio Output Mode (or one poorly supported by your audio device's driver).
* Requiring a different buffering setting than the typical default of 100ms (WASAPI) or 50ms (ASIO).
* Some other esoteric DAC-specific setting required with your device and driver combination.

What I can say is that MC19 absolutely makes a bunch of this easier to get right.  And, there have certainly been some bugs fixed with certain audio devices.  So, if you have a more esoteric DAC you're using that's misbehaving, MC19 may have fixed the issue (or they might fix the issue if you work with them to determine what is happening).

But, all in all, it sounds like a misconfiguration (probably due to a somewhat unique or troublesome audio device).  One that it might be entirely possible to solve with MC18 (and if so, one that is likely to "persist" with MC19 because it isn't broken, it is set "wrong").

Did you work through the Audio Setup guide like Jim suggested?  If so, what do you have, and what do you have it set to now under Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device (or the MC18 equivalent).

Pages: [1]   Go Up