INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Render unto me....  (Read 1493 times)

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
Render unto me....
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »

I am not quite sure what question to ask...

Using jriver on caps 1 server. Clocks in at barely alive on the performance scale - 400 or something as I remember.  But using jremote, works pretty well - more than acceptable.  Thus, ok for now.

Setup is NAS storage, the caps server with a usb to nice stereo (sound quality important) and 2 WDTV devices using DLNA to play music to a Bose wave radio and to a little amp going to outdoor loudspeakers. (Sound quality not important as long as no dropouts).

All this works fine; can send music to 3 different zones simultaneously, etc.  Haven't stress tested it but no obvious droputs with the WDTV units.  Able to listen to music on the big rig while someone is using the outdoor speakers.  Cool.  Someday might even use more DLNA devices.  Might even try video this way.

Wouldn't mind a faster server but don't want to deal with fan, disc drive noise in music room, where server sits.  Must be silent. 

Could get a faster and noisier computer and put it in extra room, however.   This would I presume be fast enough to do video and audio. (CAPs server too slow for video)

But now what about getting sound to the nice stereo? 

Is there such a thing  as a high end renderer that talks to a DAC?  (Not sure this question even makes sense or if I am asking the right question). 

Any help appreciated.  Trying to get myself organized on this topic..

Thanks

DaveInAZ

Re: Render unto me....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:26:29 pm »

Is there such a thing  as a high end renderer that talks to a DAC?  (Not sure this question even makes sense or if I am asking the right question). 

I'm certainly no expert in these matters but, from what I understand, you're running JRiver on your Computer Audiophile Pocket Server (CAPS) and want to run the output from that through a DAC and into your stereo. Where you lose me is the "high end renderer" reference. If you don't consider JRiver or the CAPS to be a high end renderer, I don't know what you have in mind. Both are designed specifically to render music as well as possible, aside from not having a DAC built into the CAPS.

It sounds to me like all you need is a DAC that has jitter correction built in, and the right kind of connection, and you're good to go. Where is the problem?

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:11 pm »

The caps server does go to DAC to stereo.

Everything works well except the caps server performs leisurely when searching, getting album art etc.

So my question is (I think)

Can I get a faster, noisier computer (placed in another room but on my network to solve the noise issue)
put jriver ( and I presume the library) on this faster computer

And send/redirect/whatever the output of the faster computer to the caps server (the caps server acting only as a renderer I think is what I am saying),
AND
Controlling everything with jremote on my iPad.

When I look on jremote I see the various "zones", all of which are on each a DLNA device on my network .  I am unclear how I will see the caps server as a zone (of the new, faster computer)

I hope this makes sense

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »

Yes you could.  Turn on Media Network on both.  Then try playing from the new PC to the CAPS.  When that is working, try JRemote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up