INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver/Mac How to add new CD rips  (Read 4990 times)

hifi1959

• Recent member
JRiver/Mac How to add new CD rips
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »

How do I add a new CD rip from my hard drive to MC?

Follow up question . . . what do I set so MC sees all my new files I add to my music hard drive?

Thanks in advance.
Mac Mini / JRiver / Mytek DSD 192

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver/Mac How to add new CD rips
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:30:51 pm »

File / Library / Import... / Configure Auto-Import

Also:
Tools / Options / Library & Folders / Auto-Import / "Run auto-import in background"
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:42:28 pm »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

hifi1959

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:16:31 pm »

I guess I am just dumb.  I saw the wiki for this and it simply does not do anything other than reports it imported "zero files"

This appears to be real basic and I simply can't figure it out.

hifi1959

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »

OK . . .  I know I am a real challenge with computer stuff.  Should this work like iTunes regarding file addition?  In I tunes I simply ripped/XLD to my hard drive and  . . .  shizam . . .it was available to play in iTunes using Apple remote.

I looked at the wiki to drag and drop but I think it was for windows PC.  It does not work.

Is there a easy instruction to makeMC work like iTunes regarding the aforementioned?

hifi1959

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:48:02 pm »

OK . . . Maybe I am making progress as I thought I set this up to auto import to MC.

I see the files from the CD rip I did.  The reason I am not seeing them "clearly" is that the Artist and Album name did not come into MC.

What did I do wrong?  My ripping, with XLD, ritual has not changed.  I load CD.  I get album art if available.  I edit META data for artist name.  I rip.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:44:47 am »

I used Windows for the screenshots when writing that because it has Video and Shell Integration support, and I wanted to include all of the options and controls.  But the OSX version of the Import system is identical, except that it only supports audio, and it doesn't have the Shell Integration stuff.

When MC imports your files, any of the tags embedded in the files are automatically used and imported into the Library.  If the files don't contain tags, or your views aren't set to use those tags, then you won't see them show up in the "right spots" in MC.

There are lots of ways to fix this:

1. Make sure the application you're using to rip the discs actually adds appropriate tags.  MC supports all the common tagging formats for file types like MP3, FLAC, etc.

2. Alternatively, set up the ripping application to write out a good filename and folder path structure.  MC can extract tags and metadata from filename structures using the Fill Properties from Filename tool.  Read this thread for further information: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.msg531763#msg531763

3. Use MC itself to correct the tags.

4. Alter your view so that it uses the tags you do have.  One thing to note is that, by default, the views in MC use [Album Artist (auto)] instead of just [Artist] for browsing artists.  If your files have good metadata in the [Artist] tag, but bad information in the [Album Artist] tag, then it'll be messed up.  See this for more information on Album Artist (Auto): http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

If you'd prefer it to just display the regularly tagged [Artist], you can easily modify the view in question.  Just ask if you can't figure it out.

hifi1959

• Recent member
Drag And Drop Not Working
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 12:07:39 pm »

Still having troubles and can't get MC to see new rips  iTunes sees them so I don't know why MC is not cooperating.

A simple "Drag and Drop" does not work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Drag And Drop Not Working
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 12:35:54 pm »

Still having troubles and can't get MC to see new rips  iTunes sees them so I don't know why MC is not cooperating.

A simple "Drag and Drop" does not work.

Can you describe exactly what you're doing to try to import them, step-by-step.
And, can you post an example file?  You can use WikiSend to upload it and create a link so we can download it (free and requires no login for files under 100MB).

hifi1959

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »

Because I am unable to get MC to see files that are FREASH additions I thought I would simply do a drag and drop into a play list.  I go to my files on hard drive and highlight.  Next I drag the group of files over to the newly created playlist.  There is a direction that says"drop files here" in the smart playlist window.  What happens is they never drop.  The usual thing that would happen is the green light that indicates ready to drop.  I never get a green light so files just don't drop.

I asked someone at MyTek to help me and on there MacMini/JRiver set up they were unable to drag and drop on their set up.  Called it a bug.

I have dragged on dropped into playlist and libraries again and again using ITunes.  I know I suck at computer stuff but I think I got drag n' drop down.  It simply does not work on Mac/JRiver.  It works on my PC/JRiver that I have used for years.

THANKS FOR JUMPING IN TO HELP ME!!!

joeromer

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 03:07:53 pm »

trying to rip a cd in mac in an exercise in futility..... instead of being simple and strait forward, like most mac applications, this borders on ridiculous.... How about a simple step-by-step how to for mac?? Including the required settings!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »

trying to rip a cd in mac in an exercise in futility..... instead of being simple and strait forward, like most mac applications, this borders on ridiculous.... How about a simple step-by-step how to for mac?? Including the required settings!!

MC19 for Mac does not support CD ripping.  So, yes, that is an exercise in futility.

If you need to import files you've ripped elsewhere, this is simple:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

Because I am unable to get MC to see files that are FREASH additions I thought I would simply do a drag and drop into a play list.  I go to my files on hard drive and highlight.  Next I drag the group of files over to the newly created playlist.  There is a direction that says"drop files here" in the smart playlist window.  What happens is they never drop.

Sorry I never came back to this old thread.  I missed the reply and it (I guess) never got bumped until now.  The problem is that you were trying to drag-drop directly from the Finder into a Playlist.  Import the files first.  See the wiki article I linked above.

I think drag-dropping from Windows Explorer directly into a Playlist works, though I'm not sure if the files haven't been imported yet.  In any case, the Action Window "drag here" is really for dragging from MC itself into a Playlist, not really from the Finder or Windows Explorer.

joeromer

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 12:19:18 pm »

yeah, ive figured the import first thing out.... thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up