INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Windows 8.1 Tablet with JRiver 19 control JRiver 19 runnng on Mac Mini?  (Read 1915 times)

BVillet

• Recent member

I currently control JRiver 19 running on a Windows 7 server using a Windows 8.1 Tablet that also has JRiver 19 installed. I import the library from the server to the tablet client and then have the option to play my audio library either at the server or at the Tablet client. I consider this a truly great feature.
I am contemplating adding a Mac Mini server to my system and will want to run JRiver 19 for playback from the Mac Mini. I would very much appreciate knowing whether I would be able to also control JRiver on the Mac Mini from the Windows 8.1 tablet, in the same way I currently do. In other words, can the library from JRiver on the Mac Mini be imported to JRiver on the Windows 8.1 tablet?
Any insight or experience will be appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Short Answer: Yes

Medium-length Answer: You have some "incorrect" terminology in your question that could make things confusing, but the core answer is yes.  MC Mac includes a full-featured Media Network client and server, using JRiver's MCWS API.  Windows copies can connect to and use Libraries served by Mac copies, and Mac copies can connect to and use Libraries served by Windows copies.  This includes MC's "Tremote" functionality, which allows you to remote-control a network copy of MC.

MC Mac currently has the following limitations (perhaps among others, I'm trying to hit major points here):
* Audio-only (no other types of assets appear in the Library or can be used)
* Theater and Display Views are not included.
* Ripping is not currently available

There is a free trial available.  If possible, I'd strongly recommend you try it out before you make purchasing decisions.

Long Answer: Don't have time for this right now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BVillet

• Recent member

Thank you for your very informative response.
I am afraid I do not have the ability to try this configuration prior to purchase as I do not have ready access to a Mac Mini.
But I believe from your response that I should be able to do exactly what I would like to.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I have access to both Windows and Mac copies of MC (including a current-gen Mac Mini), and I'm happy to investigate specifics for you if you have any targeted questions.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up