INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC play 1080p FULL SBS?  (Read 5323 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can MC play 1080p FULL SBS?
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:02:29 pm »

I tried playing FULL SBS (3840x1080p) files:

MC>Onkyo NR5010>Epson 5020UB.

In 2D mode I got two 960x540 images side by side. Switching the projector to 3D mode, I got a 1920x540 image in nice 3D but with the wrong aspect ratio.

The same file ripped to Half SBS, shows two 960x1080 images side by side as expected, and a full 1920x1080 3 D image, except it's really 960x1080 pixel doubled in the horizontal axis of course.

I'm just wondering whether there are any special settings I need in MC, or whether the receiver or projector are the limiting factors here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can MC play 1080p FULL SBS?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:53:38 pm »

I've used them on my Panasonic HDTV with MC.

But, I'm not sure what you're looking at.  MC can't render to a higher resolution than your computer is sending out.  So, if you have a 3840x1080 resolution file, and you want to play it at 100%, then your desktop resolution has to be set to 3840x1080 or higher (or you'd have to set MC to switch to that resolution).

To do that, your projector or receiver would have to be able to accept that kind of resolution, and HDMI certainly can't.

So, when I use them with my Panasonic HDTV (which is connected via HDMI and the resolution is limited to 1080p max) then they'd be downscaled for playback because they can't be played at 100% natively.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:55:43 pm »

Have you set your resolution in Windows to 3840x1080 (or you could use tag just these files for custom playback)?

How do you get windows in enumerate a 3840x1080 resolution (does the PJ EDID push out that this is an available resolution)?
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:58 pm »

Thanks guys. I will see what can be done and write back in here.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:47 am »

HDMI can do up to 4096×2160p60 in Ver2 but .... it depends on what your PJ and AVR is capable of.  I'm guessing but I think you will find you will only see 1920x1080 as the max available resolution.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:20:32 am »

So it looks like only Stereoscopic Player will work - spectacularly at that. It can take the full side-by-side image and play it back in a 3d hdtv compatible format. Unfortunately it costs more than MC, but it's straightforward to use.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:22:01 am »

That player supports MVC
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:25:41 am »

HDMI can do up to 4096×2160p60 in Ver2 but .... it depends on what your PJ and AVR is capable of.  I'm guessing but I think you will find you will only see 1920x1080 as the max available resolution.

Stereoscopic Player converts the image into whichever format is compatible with your device. So it's converting it into an HSBS signal, I think. It might be able to do other 1080p formats too like BD ISO ones. Will have to test more.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:11 am »

More on that player in this thread regarding MVC http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84509.0
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:58 am »

That player supports MVC

Ah yes, and I recall there are threads on that format already. I'd love for MC to play these one day.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:59 am »

lol. We're overlapping posts. Thanks for the link.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:54:04 am »

Good point.  Sorry... Of course it can, but it wouldn't typically provide those resolutions to a PC when connected to a TV or in a typical home theater receiver, right?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:30 am »

Stereoscopic Player converts the image into whichever format is compatible with your device. So it's converting it into an HSBS signal, I think.

Its more likely that Stereoscopic Player outputs using HDMI 3D frame packing, if thats supported by your display chain.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 01:33:25 am »

Good point.  Sorry... Of course it can, but it wouldn't typically provide those resolutions to a PC when connected to a TV or in a typical home theater receiver, right?

New lines of AVRs eg Onkyo NR535 can handle it, I believe. By this time next year, it should be standard.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 01:35:09 am »

Its more likely that Stereoscopic Player outputs using HDMI 3D frame packing, if thats supported by your display chain.

I'd like it to. but it's definitely HSBS since my secondary 1080p 2d touchscreen mirrors the main display. It shows HSBS.  There is no frame packing option labelled as such, but that might be a terminology issue, as I'm led to believe frame packing is a generic term. I know what you mean by it though. I will play around to see if I can find whatever SP calls it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 01:37:10 am »

I'd like it to. but it's definitely HSBS since my secondary 1080p touchscreen mirrors the main display. It's not 3d

It might do that because of the mirroring, since that may block HDMI 3D.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 01:41:55 am »

It might do that because of the mirroring, since that may block HDMI 3D.

It's a VGA connection, and doesn't prevent 3d on the projector with BD-ISO. I was editing my previous post with more info when you posted.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:13 am »

New lines of AVRs eg Onkyo NR535 can handle it, I believe. By this time next year, it should be standard.

I know they can handle 4k resolutions, but they'll also handle sending a ~4k resolution to a 1080p display?

That's cool, if so, but it seems like that would be exclusively for SBS mode, as it would be a waste for anything else (and rely on the downscalers in your TV, I suppose, or just not work otherwise).  So, that's why I'm confused.

Unless, of course, you're talking about with a 4K set, but I didn't think so initially.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 01:47:36 am »

I know they can handle 4k resolutions, but they'll also handle sending a ~4k resolution to a 1080p display?

That's cool, if so, but it seems like that would be exclusively for SBS mode, as it would be a waste for anything else (and rely on the downscalers in your TV, I suppose, or just not work otherwise).  So, that's why I'm confused.

Unless, of course, you're talking about with a 4K set, but I didn't think so initially.

I expect the higher end ones will. Mine already downscale to 480p or upscale to 4k. But that wasn't what I thought you were saying when  mentioned the new AVRs.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 01:49:45 am »

Mine already downscale to 480p or upscale to 4k.

Right.  But that would be scaling in the AVR, and so the "raw" 1080p SBS frames still wouldn't get sent to the TV without being scaled down (which MC could do just as easily, and you could argue that ROHQ might do a better job).

Unless the AVR was handling SBS mode, I suppose, and converting to a native 3D mode on your display, but...

I didn't think they really liked SBS mode, so why would they support that?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 02:19:36 am »

Full-SBS isn't something really well supported, since its a unusual resolution, so I would be kinda surprised if that gets wide-spread support in AVRs or TVs.
I'm a bit surprised that StereoPlayer doesn't convert it to native 3D, assuming it supports that with Blu-rays, it would be the best format to use.

Same reason MC cannot really play Full-SBS properly. It has to downsize it to fit a 1920x1080 frame, and unless the file specifys an aspect ratio that makes it downsize to 1920x1080 exactly, its going to end up 1920x540 instead to maintain the original AR (which is wrong, but how would it know). Sadly those Full-SBS files are usually just bad and don't indicate in any way that it actually is Full-SBS and not some unusual resolution. For playing on a PC right now, using Half-SBS is the better format, as it'll just work, and you get the same resolution in the end anyway.

Luckily there is really no commercial content in Full-SBS.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 03:14:24 am »

I'm a bit surprised that StereoPlayer doesn't convert it to native 3D, assuming it supports that with Blu-rays, it would be the best format to use.

I think it does, somehow. I just didn't see that setting yet. I will play with it more in the coming days.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 03:17:24 am »

I think I'll just keep things in BD-ISO or HSBS for now. I don't want to go to too many different apps other than MC. HSBS played very well within MC, as long as I told my projector to go to side by side mode.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 06:27:11 am »

Makes sense.  The only full res format commonly available is MVC for HT and for now that is a third party player.
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 06:33:55 pm »

I have a full SBS file (3840x800 in 2:35) in my collection, and when I play it in 2D mode, the video renderer resizes the file to the screen resolution without changing the aspect ratio, so it displays a stripe in the middle of the screen with the two images side by side with huge black bars over and under. As I recall playing it to my Sony HW-30 projector it showed correctly in 3D without any problems. So I guess my projector recognizes the 1920x540 (or 1920x400 in this case) image it receives (shrinked by the video renderer to fit the output resolution) and shows it correctly.

If I choose Stretch in Aspect Ratio, it stretches the image horizontally filling the screen and looks like all the other 3D movies I have when played in 2D, except that it is a little over-stretched since it's in 2:35 and not 16:9. Any FSBS file in 16:9 would look exactly like a HSBS file when stretching it to fit the display, so I don't understand why it shouldn't play on any 3D tv/projector supporting SBS.

Hmm...thinking about it, using the Stretch option probably would give me a better quality, since the projector will receive full resolution at least vertically, instead of an image shrinked both vertically and horizontally by the video renderer to preserve the aspect ratio and then streched both ways by the projector instead of just horizontally. I'll check it out when I'm back home over the weekend.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up