INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC19 Starts tracks loud, then normalizes them  (Read 1194 times)

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver MC19 Starts tracks loud, then normalizes them
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:09:40 am »

I recently had to uninstall JRiver MC 19 because a VST Plug-in was causing issues with the program so I removed it. Now when I play different tracks, the volume starts out very loudly, then it normalizes. Before I had to re-install JRiver MC 19 to fix the issues I was having with the VST plug-in and DSP studio, everything works fine now except, as mentioned above, tracks start out really loud before they normalize. Any suggestions what could be causing this? I remember when I first got JRiver MC19 I also had this issue and I cannot remember what I did to fix the issue. I never used the Volume leveling option so it has to be something else I did but I cannot remember what it was. For example, if the beginning of the track is low in volume as intended by the artist, then kicks in to a louder volume, the beginning of the track is really loud, then when the track kicks in it is extremely loud - then after a few seconds it normalizes. I am not sure what is causing this. I know I had it set correctly before without using Volume leveling (I do not wish to use this feature) but I cannot remember what I did to make all the tracks sounds as they are intended (soft parts soft, and the rest of the Track at the volume intended, instead of the soft part being really loud and then when the track kicks in it is extremely loud, then normalizes.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: JRiver MC19 Starts tracks loud, then normalizes them
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:16:52 am »

I recently had to uninstall JRiver MC 19 because a VST Plug-in was causing issues with the program so I removed it. Now when I play different tracks, the volume starts out very loudly, then it normalizes. Before I had to re-install JRiver MC 19 to fix the issues I was having with the VST plug-in and DSP studio, everything works fine now except, as mentioned above, tracks start out really loud before they normalize. Any suggestions what could be causing this? I remember when I first got JRiver MC19 I also had this issue and I cannot remember what I did to fix the issue. I never used the Volume leveling option so it has to be something else I did but I cannot remember what it was. For example, if the beginning of the track is low in volume as intended by the artist, then kicks in to a louder volume, the beginning of the track is really loud, then when the track kicks in it is extremely loud - then after a few seconds it normalizes. I am not sure what is causing this. I know I had it set correctly before without using Volume leveling (I do not wish to use this feature) but I cannot remember what I did to make all the tracks sounds as they are intended (soft parts soft, and the rest of the Track at the volume intended, instead of the soft part being really loud and then when the track kicks in it is extremely loud, then normalizes.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

It sounds very much like clip protection is engaging on your system.  If you have any DSP that applies boost and have JRiver set to maximum volume, you will drive JRiver's output into clipping on the loud parts of tracks, which is probably what you're seeing.

If you want to verify, watch the audio path during playback (click the symbol with the three faders next to the shuffle and repeat buttons).  If I'm right, it will show clip protection kicking in when the song gets loud.

The easiest solution is to use no net boost in your DSP, either by offsetting any boost with a downward adjustment or by redoing your EQ profile so it's all cut.

For example, if you have +6dB of boost at 60Hz and -3dB of boost at 1000 Hz and everything else is flat, you'll either need to adjust the level of the whole channel down by 6dB (either using the pre-amp in the graphic equalizer or the "adjust the volume" filter in PEQ), or rework your eq so it's all cut (0dB at 60Hz, -9dB at 1000Hz and -6dB everywhere else).
Pages: [1]   Go Up