INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album (year)  (Read 3623 times)

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
Album (year)
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:38 pm »

Hi

I want to modify the stock album view (Audio) so that the year appears in brackets at the end of the album name.

Is this possible, if so, how do I do it? I've seen a category for Artist - Album (year) but this is not quite what I want.

TIA

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album (year)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:25:03 pm »

Assuming you mean in Standard View, and you only want the appearance of text to change (not the actual sort order):

Click on the tiny down arrow at the top of the tab -> Thumbnails -> Thumbnail Text...
In the Expression Editor copy/paste:

Code: [Select]
[Name] [[Year]]
Lots more good info on this feature here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82843.0

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:48 am »

That's great. It works for desktop but unfortunately does not flow through to JRemote  :(

connersw

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:52:28 am »

I don't support Apple as a company, and I don't own any of their products; however, I believe the JRemote Views are pulled from the Gizmo settings.   Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Advanced -> Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo

1) Click on your Album View in Items To Show on the left side of the pane.
2) Click on Album in Show Categories In This Order on the right -> Edit
3) In the new Category pop-up Window, change the Type radio button to Expression
4) Create the following Expression:
   Name: Album [Year]
   Expression to group by: [Album]
   Expression to display: [Album] [[Year]]
5) OK your way back out.

You may need to close and re-open Media Server to see your changes take.

If this is not how JRemote pulls Views, someone please correct me.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:55:42 am »

They are taken from those settings - I was just about to submit a similar post myself.
I would suggest using the expression [Album]Delimit([Year],/],/ /[)
instead, as [[Year]] will display [] if there is no value in the Year field.

Actually what I personally use is Delimit([Year],/]/ ,/[)[Album] because then albums are sorted by year rather than by name.

Delimit()

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:53 am »

Spot on guys.

Thank you very much.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:13:19 am »

I have the expression (for Artist view) set at:

Group by:
[Year]
[Album]

Display:

Delimit([Year],/]/ ,/[)[Album]

Sort: Descending

However, I want the [Year] descending and the [Album] ascending. How is this possible?

Separating the [Album] as a second expression creates a further level which I do not want.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:43 am »

Unfortunately I think you can only sort by one variable in Gizmo or Theater View. (Standard View allows this)
You would need to have two levels using Year, then Album.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:15 am »

You can sort by any number of variables in Theater View or Gizmo views.

Access the "Set rules for file display..." button in the view configuration, and in the "Modify Results" section you can add a "Sort by" which can take several variables for sorting.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:12:35 pm »

I think that sorts the items a level below the category, not the category items themselves.
Using:
    Sort by Z-A: Year
    Sort by A-Z: Album

Had no effect on the sort order.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 12:31:34 pm »

This thread is scattering into different directions, primary because the original poster is changing the area of relevance.

Originally, the OP discussed Standard View > Audio > Album, and then it moved to WebGizmo.  There's discontinuity because of the difference between Thumbnail Text existing on one, but not the other.

The views that are being created don't really make sense to me (grouping by [Album], and displaying [Album] [[Year]; this places same named albums into a single cluster, but then the displayed as doesn't make sense).

6233638 is referring to Categories and Header Text type of sorting, and Hendrik is referring to File List sorting.  Both different.

And there's some incorrect information here.

Maybe the thread can be clarified.

@Galaxian - please keep onto the same topic, and if you're switching, please make that very clear.  Your Group By of:

[Year]
[Album]

isn't quite correct.  The Group By is an expression, and your expression isn't quite doing what you think.  Place your fields on a single line.

[Year] [Album]

But more to the point - do you really have many same-named albums from the same year?  And if you do, then once you drill down into your Artist category, you're now into a grouping of [Year] [Album],  (but unless you have a bunch of same named-albums by that artist, the year grouping is irrelevant).  And your sort by album name but also at the same time sort by year doesn't make sense (unless all the albums are the same name) since a sort can't be two things are once.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:26 pm »

Unfortunately I think you can only sort by one variable in Gizmo or Theater View. (Standard View allows this)
You would need to have two levels using Year, then Album.

This is correct, however the one "variable" (MC expression field) can be an arbitrarily constructed string which can be used as the sort.  By setting them up through Sort Presets, you can create some pretty fancy sorts available in things like a Categories Sort order.

MrC

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:30 pm »

For example, here's what the OP was asking for essentially (see attached).  Note that the sort is Album (ascending), Year (descending).

You are seeing track 1 of 4 different albums, each with a different year.  By constructing an expression field that produces a value that ASCII-betically sorts as desired, you can get the desired sort order.  The OP wanted sorting by:

[Album] [Year]

but constructing that expression would lead to an all ascending or descending value.  To get opposite behavior with one of the components, we need to make year go in the opposite direction:

[Album] math(3000-[Year])

In the year 3000, this expression will need some updating.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:49 am »

Hi

Sorry for going off on tangents.

The latest suggestion does not work for me.

This is what I'm trying to achieve (in Gismo so that the behaviour shows up in JRemote) :

1. In Artist view, drilling down into an artist shows the latest albums first (year is descending)
2. Where there is more than one album (with different names) for a particular year, I want their names to appear in ascending order (presently they are descending).

Regards

MrC

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 02:55:08 am »

No worries.

So you want all the 2014 stuff before the 2103 stuff, and within the year groupings Z comes before A.  Do I have that right?

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 03:38:09 am »

Yes but not with split levels.

So drilling down into an artist is as far as I can go, which will then for example present:

[2014] Album A, [2014] Album B, [2013] Album C, [2013] Album D

At the moment I have:

[2014] Album B, [2014] Album A, [2013] Album D, [2013] Album C due to both components of the expression descending. As you have previously commented, I want the components to behave oppositely.

EDIT: Just to be clear my display setting under the expression is: Delimit([Year],/]/ ,/[)[Album]

Cheers

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 04:12:11 am »

To get opposite behavior with one of the components, we need to make year go in the opposite direction:

[Album] math(3000-[Year])
This is great! And it seems so obvious in retrospect.

Galaxian, just flip things around so you have:

Expression to group by: math(3000-[Year]) [Album]
Expression to display: Delimit([Year],/]/ ,/[)[Album]
Sorting: Ascending

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:09 am »

Got it.

Great, thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up