INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 on MAC with Parallels  (Read 3074 times)

fmd

• Recent member
MC19 on MAC with Parallels
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:21:28 am »

I am having some connectivity issues with my Oppo BDP-105 and MC19 on my MAC.  Came from a PC environment and have been testing the MAC trial version.  I can get it to work with the Oppo via DLNA but when I try to install the PC version in Parallels I cannot connect.  I have set a separate access key for the PC side.

Most likely I will stay with my PC license since the MAC cost is $50 and has no Video support but......I am having no luck getting the Parallels version to work via DLNA

Do I have to remove the MAC version for the Parallels side to work?  Any other advice?

Thank you

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC19 on MAC with Parallels
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:16:33 am »

Do I have to remove the MAC version for the Parallels side to work?

Definitely not.

The issue is almost certainly related to your network setup in Parallels, or the Windows firewall.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:17:42 am »

I can get it to work with the Oppo via DLNA but when I try to install the PC version in Parallels I cannot connect.

How are you trying to connect?  From what, to what, via what mechanism.

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:48 am »

I am using JRemote Glynor connecting to the Oppo via DLNA as I normally would and have from multiple devices on my home network.  So when I look at JRemote I have 2 servers setup (my old PC and the MAC).  When I try to add the Parallels server it indicates I am not on the network (even though the others connect)

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 06:14:07 am »

How are you trying to connect?  From what, to what, via what mechanism.

Hi Glynor - still no luck.  Won't connect. Looking at the network settings in Parallels/Windows it appears MC19 has access to everything inbound/outbound so I doubt it is the firewall. 

Your link provides multiple setup options for configuring the network in virtual machines (shared/bridged/host).  It appears the default is shared.  What should I set it to?

Thank you

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:32:51 am »

I used Bridged Mode, Default Adapter (or often force the Ethernet adapter, since certain systems will remain hardwired).

Bridged allows your Parallels VM to have its own IP address, typically assigned from the DHCP server on the net.  See also:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4948

Most likely I will stay with my PC license since the MAC cost is $50 and has no Video support but......I am having no luck getting the Parallels version to work via DLNA

If this is the case, I wonder if it is worth pursing further...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 02:57:38 pm »

Thank you.  My PC license will work on the virtual machine so getting this to work is paramount for me.  Or I have to keep a 2nd PC running as a media server...

Today after frustrations with the MAC side I gave up and just ran MC on my old PC (and it worked seamlessly).  Hopefully I can get this figured out so  I can run on the MAC

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 04:46:30 pm »

Gotcha.

DLNA under Parallels + OS really does work fine.

I'm not re-reading this thread here, but will suggest that either your Windows' Firewall within Parallels, or the Mac's firewall or your Parallels setup are the reason for the blocked packets.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »

DLNA under Parallels + OS really does work fine.

I'm not re-reading this thread here, but will suggest that either your Windows' Firewall within Parallels, or the Mac's firewall or your Parallels setup are the reason for the blocked packets.

And they need to be on the same subnet.  In most cases, the easiest way to do this is to use Bridged networking mode, as MrC said.  Then the Virtual Machine is treated by your network as a "real PC" (it appears to your gateway just like any other machine on your network).

In Shared mode, it most likely will not work because then the Windows VM is "hidden behind" your Mac, and isn't part of your regular LAN (it is on its own private LAN that only the Mac and the VM can see).

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 11:57:25 am »

Thanks guys!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »

Let me know if you don't get it sorted out.

I'm happy to do further diagnosis.  I'll just need further information about your network setup (IP addreses, subnets, gateways, etc).

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:14 am »

Thanks Glynor/Everyone for your help.  Setting Parallels to Bridged/Ethernet solved this.  Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up