INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, my wife has some "morbid" documentaries to watch. how to segregate?  (Read 4254 times)

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.

the things arent tagging right, primarily due to the scarcity of info on tvdb, wikipedia, etc.

so, what I want to do is to create a category "Wife's Movies" , and to have all those titles in there(it is a mixture of tv shows and movies, documentaries). wife is a mortuary school student...  i want one for all the kid shows and movies too. help?

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen

the things arent tagging right, primarily due to the scarcity of info on tvdb, wikipedia, etc.

so, what I want to do is to create a category "Wife's Movies" , and to have all those titles in there(it is a mixture of tv shows and movies, documentaries). wife is a morturary school student...  i want one for all the kid shows and movies too. help?
There are various ways you would acheive this.

One way would be to store them in a dedicated folder (e.g. called \Wifes Movies) and have that folder as a seperate import. Then, on the media import properties for this folder under 'Apply these tags (optional):' select 'Add --> Custom' and set the 'Media Subtype' as 'Morbid'.

Then in the main screen on the left hand side right click 'Video' and select 'Add Library View', give it a name of 'Wifes Movies' and then under 'Set rules for file display' set 'Media Sub Type - Is - Morbid'.

You will then have a library view under 'Video' called 'Wifes Movies' which will only show those videos and because the main movie view has a display rule set as 'Media Subtype - Is - Movie' it won't show the morbid movies.

If you want any more help or clarification on this let me know and I can do some screenshots and go into a bit more detail.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe

Yeah, in general what you want to do is identify a tag to use for this purpose, enter values for the tags in the appropriate movies, then create a view to pick them out.

To populate the tags, you can use the auto import rules as explained above to automatically do this if they're already segragated in separate folders or are named in a particular way, or simply enter the tags manually.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

The above idea is good, but I wouldn't use Media Subtype because it is used by MC for certain features, like pulling metadata. Instead, you can create a custom field in MC (Tools/Options/Library & Folders/Manage Library Fields). Same functionality, but it doesn't interfere with MC's internals. Fill that during import and you can do everything you want with it, create filters, custom views, including Theater View.

Another idea is to use User Accounts. Go to View, User, Add User. In MC, edit the User field. Anything without a user is visible to everyone. When you add multiple users, you can tick multiple users in the User field. To switch MC to another user, use View, User, [username].

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen

The above idea is good, but I wouldn't use Media Subtype because it is used by MC for certain features, like pulling metadata. Instead, you can create a custom field in MC (Tools/Options/Library & Folders/Manage Library Fields). Same functionality, but it doesn't interfere with MC's internals. Fill that during import and you can do everything you want with it, create filters, custom views, including Theater View.

Another idea is to use User Accounts. Go to View, User, Add User. In MC, edit the User field. Anything without a user is visible to everyone. When you add multiple users, you can tick multiple users in the User field. To switch MC to another user, use View, User, [username].

That's good to know, I wasn't aware of that.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I'd use [Genre].

Then filter the views (where you don't want to see her stuff) to exclude that particular Genre.  I'd use that because:
1. It is easy and a stock field, plus pretty accurately captures the "idea" of what you're doing: categorizing the "type" of content.
2. Files can have multiple Genres, so you can have items tagged with the "automatic" genres that MC looks up, and ADD the special "excluding" genre that you need to add to have it hidden.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

theoctavist

• World Citizen

thanks guys!

theoctavist

• World Citizen

one more question, how would I then have a "roller" with the heading "wifes stuff" or "kids stuff" or "ted talks"  etc. I want to have it so that each of those is visible from the main screen in theatre view. (I I have mine pretty simple, movies, audio, dsp. tried to create a new library item (or add one) but the thing wouldnt nest right, and when it did, the "kids" roller for example, did not have the content segregated as to tv shows/movies, etc.

im sorry i am so slow with this.

theoctavist

• World Citizen

ok, I figured some of it out I think...my only question now.. is I have the rollers right. there is one called "für alle Kinder"

..and the tv shows as well as the movies are in there.  my question is. how to further segregate by content type or at least to have the tv shows (my little pony ) under one heading so I dont have dozens of individual shows mixed in there with the movies(making it hard to navigate)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I was going to suggest tagging her files with [user] = wife and putting a password on it.
Create a second user without password, and keep this as default.
Just change user and her files will become visible.

More info here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82733.0

theoctavist

• World Citizen

thank you. looking into it right now.

one more thing, is there a way to have the file sorted under the individual rollers? I want the tv shows and the movies seperate (but on the same view if possible..IE have "the lego movie" right beside MLP FIM (with the shows collapsed under the MLP header rather than being spread out)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

thank you. looking into it right now.

one more thing, is there a way to have the file sorted under the individual rollers? I want the tv shows and the movies seperate (but on the same view if possible..IE have "the lego movie" right beside MLP FIM (with the shows collapsed under the MLP header rather than being spread out)

Yes.  Set the sorting in the file view that you're configuring in Options > Theater View > Items To Show using 'Set rules for file display...'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

theoctavist

• World Citizen

ok. I guess the issue I am having is that neither the "sort by series" or "media type"

collapses the individual episodes into a "mlp " header/folder (with each season nested further in its own header)

all the movies are mixed in there with all the episodes showing individually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up