INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6.1 Issue  (Read 970 times)

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
6.1 Issue
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:38:25 am »

I ran across an issue yesterday where I tried to play a movie with 6.1 audio with JMC decoding and the WASAPI renderer. The problem is that my HTPC (HDMI->AVR) won't accept 6.1 so JMC offered to convert it to stereo.

Ideally, I think it should test to see if the HW supports 7.1 and if it does enable LAV Audio's 6.1->7.1 expansion get everything playing w/o any UI or if some UI is necessary offer 7.1 expansion instead of stereo.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 6.1 Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 06:45:13 am »

MC could just perform the expansion itself if required.

These kind of problems are indeed currently not handled by MC, and its something I would like to address.
Personally I would recommend to simply let MC handle all mixing, but I understand that some people rather trust in their AVR than our software. ;)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:19:24 am »

TBC, the problem isn't that I don't trust JMC (it has to mix me up a 7.1 or 5.1 sample from the 6.1) it's that the audio device rejects the 7 channel format (IAudioClient->IsFormatSupported() returns an error code).

If there's a setting to tell JMC how many speakers I have so that it mixes 7.1 & 6.1 -> 5.1 and leaves everything else in the native config that would work too.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:29 am »

You could tell it you have 5.1 speakers and at the same time set "For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1", if you prefer your stereo sources to remain as such. There isn't really anything much in between stereo and 5.1, and LAV Audio would expand anything in between to 5.1 anyway.

Or of course just setup an external LAV Audio and enable the expansion option, until we handle this case in MC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up