INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schiit gungnir DAC  (Read 6800 times)

lug

• Recent member
Schiit gungnir DAC
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:30:25 pm »

I just bought Schilt gungnir dac  downloaded jriver and run it through a Mator hard ext hard drive and fairly high end Dell with windows 7 to a Krell amp. Also its a usb connection from Dell laptop to dac.  System works good for between 4 to 15 minutes then I lose my sound and jriver locks up and I have to hard reboot my computer.  I'm not sure if it is JRiver issue or dac issue.  Schilt tech support suggests installing a power usb hub has anyone else had to install a powered usb hub?  I'm about to the point of sending the dac back and let the trial period of jriver run out.  Just use my old cd/dvd player.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Schiit gungnir DAC
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:24:47 pm »

Did you search for schiit here?

Here, for example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86075.0

By the way, you're spelling the name incorrectly.

lug

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:26:50 am »

Thanks Jim, I'll give this a try tonight.

lug

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »

I did try the settings and they help some what the tracks played for longer but then stop as per before.  Looks like the Schiit Bitforst specific setting won't work for the Gungnir.  I'm sure open to suggestions if anyone has idea's.  Thanks.

lug

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:14 pm »

Also a couple of other things that seem odd.

1) after following the settings recommended on the link all went good except it was very flakey to go into open driver panel I got an error message no driver panel for ASIO for C-Media USB device.  I had to try several times to get it to open, then when it did finally did open the bit depth and latency box's were grayed out and I couldn't make change.  Tried several more times and was able to make the changes.  Then later checked to see if the changes stayed I had the same error message no driver panel for ASIO for C-Media USB device.

2)   Something else interesting is when I click close windows there is a message "internet explore sounds running"(or to that effect) and I eventually have to do a forced shut down of internet explorer.  Then laptop will not shut down and I eventually have to a hard shut down. 

lug

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:40:55 am »

Any thoughts on what is causing my sound issues the Schiit Gungnir dac, JRiver or Dell laptop?  I had just bought a Schitt Gungnir Dac and downloaded JRiver looking forward to playing high def digital file to my stereo system.  Right from the start after loading the the Schiit drivers and downloading JRiver and using the Schiit direct sound setting ect (same Schiit tech support is using) JRiver would only play for a few minutes then stop and would not play any tracks. I  my compter would respond to other programs but when I went to shut my computer off it would not shut off and I had to do a hard shut off.  I had done several JRiver reinstalls and tried many differant settings to no avail. I tested using JRiver through my computer speakers, works fine.   As a last resort I reinstalled the Schiit drivers reinstalled JRiver used the Schiit direct sound setting, I was doing cart wheels it played a full  cd and nice sound.  I tried it again the next day and it will only play for a few minutes.  The Schiit dac is packed up and being return tomorrow.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:50:17 am »

... when I went to shut my computer off it would not shut off and I had to do a hard shut off.  
That is probably a driver problem unless your computer is otherwise unstable.

Did you ever contact Schiit to see if they had a newer driver?

lug

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 11:27:51 am »

I down loaded the driver from and as per the Schiit's web page.  And later discussed the issue via emal with Schiit's tech support, thier tech support first reply was maybe the usb output may not be good enough and try a powered usb hub, second reply was their Gungnir Dac works fine with JRiver.  Then I ask what settings they used, reply was "Schiit direct sound and the rest are defaults.
Jim the reason for the new thread was when I posted replys to the old thread I was getting no replys I thought may the subject discription wasn't specific enough.  At this point I would like to determine whether to buy a differant dac, that would only make sense if my present issue is with the Schiit dac.  If the problem is with my laptop or JRiver it would be useless and expensive buying a different dac.  I appricate your and everyone elses expertice on this.  Thanks.

lug

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »

Also no issues with Dell laptop, two years old i7 fairly high end at the time.

lug

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:37:26 pm »

Schiit did have a new unqualified driver, it didn't fix the problem.  I sent the Schiit Gungnir back today.  Any thoughts about how likely it was the dac causing my issues.  I'm a little gun shy if I buy another brand of dac and have the same issue.  I'm leaning toward the Eastern Electric minidac tube plus there is just a new upgrade model, but that would be only if the manufacturer rep has it working flawllessly with JRiver.

Any opinons welcome

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 06:35:27 am »

You could read a few other threads on this board.

Computeraudiophile.com also has a forum with a lot of DAC users.

If you like tube amps, Jack Woo, at http://www.wooaudio.com is familiar with JRiver Media Center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up