INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual 'buffering' crash issue when playing one particular track  (Read 1424 times)

Funkmeister

• Recent member

Following my reinstall of MC19 onto my lovely new shiny SSD, I've been encountering some strange issues with it 'buffering' on some particular tracks but I'll use one as the example.

I've recently ripped a load of Queen to FLAC copied it to my external music drive.  The files are then tagged using MP3Tag and put in the Music folder for MC to import.  I then use the 'Cover Art > Get from Internet' function to pull in the artwork.  MC then goes through writing the artwork to the file as usual.

On playback though ("The Show Must Go On" since you ask), at precisely 2:08 playback stops and MC shows 'Buffering'.  It locks up at this point and has to be crashed to desktop to restart.  I've done some initial triage to see what the issue might be:

1) Was the file badly ripped?  Check original raw rip (on C:\ drive) and playback is perfect in MC

2) Does the file play from the root of J:\ drive prior to being retagged?  Yes, plays back perfectly.

3) Does the file play back after retagging in MP3Tag from the J:\ drive?  Yes.

4) Does the file play back from the correct Queen folder on J:\ drive?  Yes.

5) Does the file play back once artwork has been embedded using 'Cover Art > Get from Internet'?  No.  Crashes at 2:08 every time.

Overnight I ran a chksdk /r on the drive to check for file structure issues or corrupt sectors and the scan came back clean this morning, no issues at all (thankfully!).

This implies that something is going wrong when the artwork is being tagged by MC.  None of the other tracks have the same problem during playback - I did wonder whether the .jpg might be corrupt in some way, and when writing a corrupted jpg to the FLAC file it was causing issues...

The raw file is fine, it's only once the artwork has been added to it that the problem arises.  I have a MC log which I can post if required?

Many thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unusual 'buffering' crash issue when playing one particular track
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:08:04 am »

Did you try copying the file back to C: and playing it from there?

A corrupt jpg is a good guess.  A firmware bug with the external drive is another possibility.

Funkmeister

• Recent member
Re: Unusual 'buffering' crash issue when playing one particular track
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »

I managed to resolve it - but I'm not quite sure how.  Don't really know how it resolved itself but eventually it did after several attempts to re-import the specific tracks that had the error.  Very strange!
Pages: [1]   Go Up