INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio stuttering  (Read 1987 times)

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
Audio stuttering
« on: May 01, 2014, 01:00:30 pm »

I can't be sure this started with .131... possibly one or two versions prior.

I have MC set up as strictly a server on my main home a/v server.  It's a W8.1 Pro 64-bit machine with core i7 quad running 4.3Ghz.  It's mostly idle (below 10% total CPU) and everything performs normally.  The home network is switched 1GB.

Originally, I was sharing the audio library in the standard Windows manner and mounting them as a filesystem on my Audio DAW (same hardware configuration) with MC managing the library.  Everything worked flawlessly at any playback speed to 192k and DSD streaming.

Then I changed the client MC on the DAW to point to the server MC and use it as the point or origin for all tracks.  After making up the new library on the client, started playing tracks.  Right off the bat, there was stuttering, returning to the beginning of song repeatedly and short skips.  If I completely shutdown the MC server on my server and restart it, the client will play one song completely, but then resume the stuttering from the second song.  Nothing else seems to affect it.  It seems to be worse at higher bitrate tracks, 176k, 192k and DSD, but I can't say that it is exclusive to those speeds.

Is this an indicator that I may have something misconfigured, simply not the preferred way to dispense audio or video, or a bug?

Any clues?

Thanks.

--Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio stuttering
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:08:13 pm »

What is a DAW?

Are you using MC's DLNA Server or are you using Library Server? 

How are you controlling playback?

Some devices don't handle switching well.  You could try upsampling everything.  DSP Studio / Output Format.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »

What is a DAW?

Digital Audio Workstation.  In this case it's my main audio playback machine, but I can also do multi-track recording, editing, and the like.

Are you using MC's DLNA Server or are you using Library Server? 

Library Server

How are you controlling playback?

With the MC software on my DAW, using wasapi->to my studio audio chain.  If I use the server library on a mounted filesystem isntead of the library server, all works perfectly.  I wanted to try and make the MC server a library server for all remote devices.  The library server has no audio hardware.

Some devices don't handle switching well.  You could try upsampling everything.  DSP Studio / Output Format.

What devices are you referring to?  Speed switching is not an issue, since the stuttering happens consistently even when songs are at the same bit rate.

--Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:41:40 pm »

Do you have antivirus software installed?  It should not be checking every audio file every time it's opened.

Network bandwidth could be a factor.

By devices, I meant a DAC or amplifier.  If you're playing from MC on the client, that's probably not an issue.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 02:21:19 pm »

Do you have antivirus software installed?  It should not be checking every audio file every time it's opened.

Network bandwidth could be a factor.

By devices, I meant a DAC or amplifier.  If you're playing from MC on the client, that's probably not an issue.

Correct, it wouldn't be.  In fact, it couldn't be any of the above, since the only difference between the network path between client and server is whether or not the client is reading the files directly from a mounted filesystem, or indirectly through the library server.

I'm starting to recall a thread from long ago (years?) where it was stated that it wasn't a good idea to actually send high speed streams from the Library Server itself.  And to use it to manage the library, but use a mounted filesystem to actually access the songs or video.  I don't recall if that was a permanent issue, speculative, or was something that was pending a fix.

Do you recall that?

I'm not sure just how I would go about using a remote library that points to local files, unless the mount points of the files hierarchy was the same letter on each machine (the server and each client).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:35:43 pm »

I don't know of any such issue.  Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up