INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is MJ v7.2 "Replay Gain Compatible"  (Read 1536 times)

Badger

Is MJ v7.2 "Replay Gain Compatible"
« on: February 16, 2002, 08:23:20 am »

In other words, will the MJ 7.2 player recognize volume changes made to mp3s using the freeware "MP3Gain".  And if so, I'd be interested in opinions regarding the benefits of MJv8's implementation of Replay Gain over MP3Gain.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Is MJ v7.2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2002, 08:32:45 am »

No.  It isn't backward compatible.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2002, 09:51:35 am »

Badger - without downloading MP3Gain and playing with it, it seems like it makes adjustments to the file itself (i.e. changes the MP3 file).

MJ8 analyses the replay gain using the same process and then codes the result (a number it appears) in the MP3 tag but otherwise it doesn't change the MP3.

So, MJ8 can either play the file as it was before the analysis or it can read the replay gain info (when DSP is enabled) in the tag and adjust the volume.

I guess I prefer MJ8 method and I use the process at work to avoid the "loud track, quiet track" problem and it works really well.
Namaste,
John

LCtheDJ

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2002, 11:55:41 am »

I'm going out on a limb here when I say both previous responses were right and both were wrong.

>No. It isn't backward compatible.

That's right; but the changes made by MP3 Gain are made to the mp3 file itself and the change in volume WILL be recognized and played by ANY mp3 player.

>MJ8 analyses the replay gain using the same process and then codes the result (a number it appears) in the MP3 tag but otherwise it doesn't change the MP3.

Almost right; the analysis results made by MJ are stored in a separate database, not in the mp3 file itself.  If you lose the database, you lose the analysis results and would have to analyze over to get them again.  Also, if you change the name of a file, you would lose the link between it and the database.  The fact that MJ does not change the mp3 file could be both an advantage and a disadvantage.

You may have guessed by now, I use MP3 Gain, Radio Gain, and love it.  All my files have similar sounding volume no matter where they are played or with what player.

So, MJ v7.2 is NOT Replay Gain compatible, but it IS MP3 Gain compatible.

Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2002, 02:48:21 pm »

thanks to all.  Yes LC... your explanation clears things up for me.  I also did some testing today and so far I don't see any downside to setting the gain adjustment in the mp3 file itself.  I just wanted to make sure the MJ7 player would recognize the new volumes.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2002, 09:03:08 pm »

LC - I think you are both right and wrong.
Unless I missed something, I thought it went like this:

To start with MJ analysed the files and stored the info in it's own database only.
Then, as ReplayGain adoption developed, MJ changed such that the number is now stored in the meta-data of the file's tags.

I think (will check later) that you can now delete a file from the MJ database, then re-import it and MJ will pick up the (prior) replay gain analysis from the file.

Is that right Matt? Someone? Or have I bolloxed that up?

LCtheDJ

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2002, 10:06:36 pm »

I stand corrected. MJ does indeed store the Replay Gain info in the mp3 file.

I just made two copies of an mp3 file and put one in each of two different directories. I had MJ do a Replay Gain analysis of one of them, then opened both in a hex editor for comparison.  The one that was analyzed had this info that the other did not:

MJMD

Sorry for the bum steer.

Udo_1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2002, 12:59:34 am »

If you use the stand alone program MP3Gain, it is compatible to ALL mp3-players, because it modifies the frame gain info thru the entire file. Once modified, there is no way to go back to the original gain. If you play this file on any player, it uses the gain attached to the frame. This is true to all players.

The differnce to MJ8 is to my understanding, MJ8 stores the gain modifacation value in the file, and during playback, it adds or subtracts the stored db from the frame value (mp3) but does't change the frame values.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong  

Udo

ZRocker

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2002, 04:32:53 am »

By applying a negative gain value (in MP3Gain or mp3Trim), you can go back to you original gain setting.  Gain increments are always in multiples of 1.5dB.

Udo_1

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2002, 04:47:30 am »

As long as you know the original value, which was added (signed value) by mp3gain, it is true. But you must keep a record on this, if is important!
To my knowledge, mp3gain does store the compensation value only in his logfiles (if enabled), not in the mp3 files.

Udo
Pages: [1]   Go Up