INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output Format?  (Read 2574 times)

Red99

• Recent member
Output Format?
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:57 pm »

When I play FLACs on my receiver via DLNA without Media Center 19, I see the album art and artist on my TV and a note saying FLAC.  When I play the same song on my receiver via MC 19 DLNA the album art and artist do not show and the note says WAV.  What JRiver settings change can I make to see the album art/artist?  My first priority is sound quality so I'm willing to forego album art/artist if it means sacrificing sound quality.

My audio device: Creative Sound Blaster ASIO
Output Encoding set to: None
Output Format set to: Not enabled
Receiver: McIntosh MX-121

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Output Format?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:09:36 pm »

In MC's options for Media Network, there is a section called Advanced.  In it you can edit the properties of each DLNA Server.

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »

Thanks Jim,

I tried all the Media Network options under Advanced, and those under "Add or configure DLNA servers" as well, but the album art still won't show.  Any other suggestions?

I'm currently using the "Recommended Settings (DAC's connected via DLNA over ethernet)" http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

I'm also using JRemote

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:04:30 am »

Do you have the Present Small Artwork option enabled?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:07:21 pm »

Unfortunately, enabling "Present Small Artwork" didn't help. 

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier but further testing revealed that I only have this problem when using JRemote.  When I connect my receiver to MC 19 via DLNA without using JRemote, I can see the album art on my TV.  However, when I use JRemote, I can't see the album art on my TV, I can only see the album art on my iphone/iPad.  I've tried playing with the JRemote settings but can't find the one that allows me to see the album art on my TV.

Do you happen to know if there's a setting I can change to fix this—or if it's just not possible to see album art on my TV when using JRemote?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:20:11 pm »

Try the JRemote thread on the Third Party Board.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:41:52 am »

I have seen your post on the JRemote forum but I don't believe it's a JRemote issue.  JRemote is simply a remote control for MC, it won't affect the way MC sends media to DLNA devices as JRemote just instructs MC to send the file via DLNA, which is exactly what happens if you don't use JRemote.

If your FLAC files are showing up as WAV then they are being converted by MC.  You need to check the output format settings as advised above in Add or Configure DLNA servers.  You should set the format to be Original.

If it's already set as Original and your FLAC files are showing up as WAV on the receiver when played via DLNA then this is impossible...

This might not be why you are not seeing cover art on the TV, but at least let's get the file being sent without conversion first of all.  TV support for metadata is sometimes patchy and generally TVs won't extract cover art when files are pushed to it, they can only do it when the TV is pulling the file.

[EDIT: Also note that when playing via DLNA, your audio device and its settings are irrelevant]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 06:40:05 am »

Make sure you have the most recent build from the top of this board.

oldzorki

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:47 am »

I have exactly the same issue when I PUSH from MC. I can see everything (album art, song name) when I pull via my renderer (OPPO BDP-105 in my case).
Let me guess - gapless is not working as well?
Source of this problem is well known (incorrect implementation of DMR device software), very common with many devices affected. Not sure JR can do anything about it.

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 12:40:02 pm »

I have seen your post on the JRemote forum but I don't believe it's a JRemote issue.  JRemote is simply a remote control for MC, it won't affect the way MC sends media to DLNA devices as JRemote just instructs MC to send the file via DLNA, which is exactly what happens if you don't use JRemote.

If your FLAC files are showing up as WAV then they are being converted by MC.  You need to check the output format settings as advised above in Add or Configure DLNA servers.  You should set the format to be Original.

If it's already set as Original and your FLAC files are showing up as WAV on the receiver when played via DLNA then this is impossible...

This might not be why you are not seeing cover art on the TV, but at least let's get the file being sent without conversion first of all.  TV support for metadata is sometimes patchy and generally TVs won't extract cover art when files are pushed to it, they can only do it when the TV is pulling the file.

[EDIT: Also note that when playing via DLNA, your audio device and its settings are irrelevant]

Thanks very much csimon.  You're absolutely right.  When I take JRemote out of the equation, I can still only see album art when I pull from my receiver/TV, but not when I push from JRiver.  I'll try updating to the most recent build to see if that helps. 

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 12:47:01 pm »

Make sure you have the most recent build from the top of this board.

Do you know if MC will save my settings if I install over my current version, without uninstalling it first?  I'm currently running version 190032. 

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »

I have exactly the same issue when I PUSH from MC. I can see everything (album art, song name) when I pull via my renderer (OPPO BDP-105 in my case).
Let me guess - gapless is not working as well?
Source of this problem is well known (incorrect implementation of DMR device software), very common with many devices affected. Not sure JR can do anything about it.

Thanks for confirming the problem oldzorki.  It's comforting to at least know what the problem is, even if it can't be resolved.  I just updated the firmware on my McIntosh MX121 to no avail.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 04:39:32 pm »

Do you know if MC will save my settings if I install over my current version, without uninstalling it first?  I'm currently running version 190032. 

Yes, it will. You are almost 100 builds behind, so upgrading will get you many other improvements too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up