INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newby here: Need Help Setting Up MC  (Read 2045 times)

nicoff

Newby here: Need Help Setting Up MC
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:44:29 pm »

Newby here, first post, sorry in advance for these questions.

Background: I have my entire music files in a NAS (Drobo 5N). I currently use Logitech Media Server (LMS) to stream those files to a Squeezebox/Transporter set-up.  Most of my files are in FLAC plus a few DSD files which cannot be streamed via the Squeezebox/transporter. It is my understanding that JRiver MC can handle both FLAC and DSD files and so I have decided to give it a try to replace my Logitech Media Server (LMS) and handle both types of files.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of MC for Mac.  MC automatically discovered two devices: an Oppo player (which I will use to play DSD files); and a Plex Media Server app that resides in the Drobo.  I do not use Plex, but I downloaded it a few weeks ago just to try it out. When checking the Main Library I noticed that it is empty (no files in it).

Questions:
1. How can I make the Main Library find the music files that I already have in the Drobo? (I take it that I do not have to move my existing files; just make MC look for the files already in the NAS).
2. Once that is done, is there a way that I can use MC interface (instead of LMS) to send the files to my squeezebox/transporter?
3. What else do I need to do to send the DSD files to my DSD player that already shows in MC (Oppo 105)?
4. Are there any settings that I need to use in MC in order to get the best quality sound?

Thanks to evryone for the reply.

nicoff

Re: Newby here: Need Help Setting Up MC
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »

Ok, I was able to import/load the NAS files into my library, so my question 1 has been taken care of.

Still need help with questions 2,3, and 4. Thanks!!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Newby here: Need Help Setting Up MC
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »

... plus a few DSD files which cannot be streamed via the Squeezebox/transporter.

I think there is a plug-in that supports DSD - I don't know much about this area, so onward...

Questions:
1. How can I make the Main Library find the music files that I already have in the Drobo? (I take it that I do not have to move my existing files; just make MC look for the files already in the NAS).

Configure Auto-Import (or import a single folder) to point to the music folder on the NAS.

2. Once that is done, is there a way that I can use MC interface (instead of LMS) to send the files to my squeezebox/transporter?

Yes, it will be via DLNA, and you will not have gapless playback.  The SBs should appear as zones once you enable Media Network (Tools > Options > Media Network).  Also, you'll probably want to disable conversion under Audio under Add or configure DLNA servers....

3. What else do I need to do to send the DSD files to my DSD player that already shows in MC (Oppo 105)?

If you are sending via DLNA, MC will have to convert the format and stream as an SB/DLNA supported format.  I think this will be PCM or FLAC.

4. Are there any settings that I need to use in MC in order to get the best quality sound?

Certainly you don't want to transcode your FLACs to MP3, so disable conversion (see above).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up