INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing tags then renaming files does not save first tag edit  (Read 4544 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen

This is a unique problem.  While I was tagging my files, specifically tagging them by country of origin and then editing the track name of the file, the country tag would not stick.  When I would go back to that file it would have a blank country tag.  However, when I tag the country and then wait a while before editing the name of the track the country tag would stick. 

I'm not sure if this only happens by doing what I specifically did or there's an underlying issue with the way Media Center interacts with Mac's file saving and can't do sophisticated editing while it is saving previous tag changes.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Editing tags then renaming files does not save first tag edit
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:19:55 pm »

Is it intermittent or all the time?  Country tagging worked for me in a small test I did.  What file formats are you tagging?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:54:36 pm »

The "Country" tag doesn't have "Save in File Tags..." checked by default.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:03:04 am »

I was editing MP3's last night.  And Listener, I have that enabled.  But when I go back to tagging with the Action window, and then check off a country or type a country and then switch panes to the track listing pane to edit the track name, the check mark on the country disappears.  Happens every time for me.  But if I tag the country and then move to the next track and then move back and then edit the track, the country tag sticks. 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:32 pm »

On second notice, the setting of saving the country field in tags doesn't stick either.  I selected it before tagging the countries, but when I went back into the settings I saw it was unselected.  I selected it again, quit the app, then went back into the settings and it was unselected again.  Why doesn't the setting stick?  This is starting to get frustrating because now when I sync my files to other devices, the tags aren't there even though I've set them before syncing. 

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:45:01 pm »

This would imply to me that you Library or some files that define the field, are read-only.  Open Terminal.app, and run the following commands (copy and paste each), and copy/paste the output:

Code: [Select]
  ls -l  ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 19/Library/field\ \(country\).jmd
   ls -ld  ~/Library/Application\ Support/J\ River/Media\ Center\ 19/Library
   id
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »

MrC, I apologize for not getting back to you.  I am however grateful you're considering my predicament.

Here is what I get when I run the commands:

The first command:

-rw-r--r--  1 AHaghgoo  staff  1439 May  7 22:40 /Users/AHaghgoo/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 19/Library/field (country).jmd
Second command:

drwxr-xr-x  76 AHaghgoo  staff  2584 May 23 20:33 /Users/AHaghgoo/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 19/Library
Third Command:

uid=501(AHaghgoo) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),401(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),257(com.apple.access_mail),250(com.apple.access_afp),252(com.apple.access_ftp),80(admin),254(com.apple.access_chat),255(com.apple.access_calendar),251(com.apple.access_smb),256(com.apple.access_devicemanagement),253(com.apple.access_addressbook),12(everyone),61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),259(com.apple.access_backup),258(com.apple.access_vpn),33(_appstore),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),398(com.apple.access_screensharing),399(com.apple.access_ssh)
Thanks again for the consideration!  I really appreciate it! 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:05:01 am »

Any news on why tags on one device are not being reflected on the other device?  I've got all the tags on my laptop looking the way I want, and then I have BitTorrentSync automatically transferring the edited files to my Mac Mini so that I can stream them to my iPhone.  Unfortunately the tags are not being reflected in MC on the Mac Mini.  And I can't figure out why.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:04:50 am »

MC has an option to store tags in the file (or not).

Options has a search at the bottom.

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 08:36:45 am »

Any news on why tags on one device are not being reflected on the other device?  I've got all the tags on my laptop looking the way I want, and then I have BitTorrentSync automatically transferring the edited files to my Mac Mini so that I can stream them to my iPhone.  Unfortunately the tags are not being reflected in MC on the Mac Mini.  And I can't figure out why.
Try "Update library from tags" on the Mac mini.  That will force a re-read of the file tags into MC's database.  Select all files, right-click a selected file, choose "Library Tools / Update Library (from tags)".
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 12:27:09 pm »

Thank you Jim and John,

I double checked to make sure that the "store tags in file" option was checked off in the fields that I have edited, even the default ones like Genre, on my laptop and then tried to force update the Mac Mini's files as indicated but the files on the Mac Mini kept their original tags.

I think that was why MrC asked me to run those commands.  Not sure if they reflect anything though.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 12:36:21 pm »

You mentioned there was a problem where you'd set Country, and then go change another tag, and your just-set Country tag would vanish.  I think this needs to be followed-up on.  Your sync software is not bi-directional is it?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »

Yes with tag editing, specifically changing the country from the side panel and then right after switching to the main panel to, for instance, rename the title of the track would not allow the tagging of the country to stick.  But if I tag the country in the side panel for a file, switch to the main panel on the right, move to the next track and then return to the original file and then change the title of the track, the country tag sticks. 

And no the sync isn't bilateral.  I just reset the BitTorrent Sync app on my Mac Mini, and re-added the folder from my laptop as "read-only" so that the sync is strictly unilateral, and I'm now going to allow it to sync up during the day as it needs to re-index and then re-sync. 

MrC

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 03:18:18 pm »

Normally when you are editting in the Tag Action Window, and then leave the Tag Action Window by clicking on another area in MC, MC should accept your edit.  If it is not, this would be a bug. 

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 03:22:58 pm »

Ok, then I believe I confirmed the bug just now by force updating the library on my laptop from the files' tags.  I tried to merge similar genres to one — Rap, Rap & Hip Hop, Hip-Hop, Rap/Hip Hop — to just one: Hip Hop.

After editing the tags of the files and then selecting them all and updating library from tags, the files on my laptop reverted to their original genre tags.  

Thanks again for the consideration MrC, I sincerely appreciate it!

MrC

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 03:28:37 pm »

FYI: for auto import files, MC will at its convenience write out the tags to files.  You can't just change the values and then immediately read the file tags.  Instead, if you want to force the action, change the tag, and then do Update Tags (from Library).  Then its safe to Update Library (from tags).

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 03:35:46 pm »

Ok, I just did that (edit tag in Action window --> select edited files --> Update Tags [from Library] --> Update Library [from Tags]), and the tags revert back to original.
Pages: [1]   Go Up