INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to merge audio (DTS) & video track (MKV) together using JRiver?  (Read 6526 times)

scottm_dj

• Recent member

I've been waiting years and years for one of my favorite movies to get a HD transfer (Hedwig and the Angry Inch) as its one of the most anticipated blu-rays releases.  Finally, I got my hands on a German-based 720p MKV version that looks fantastic.  The audio is actually in English, but it's only 384k which is not good enough for that fantastic soundtrack.  Can I rip and merge the DTS file from the great sounding DVD into the 720p MKV using JRiver or something else?   Does anyone know of the steps to do that (if its even possible)?

Castius

• Citizen of the Universe

Possible but keeping them in sync might be difficult.
 You can MUX (separate) the video from the audio. Then remux (combine) the two. But I'd imagine you would need a video editor to help make sure it was in sink.

Hendrik

• Administrator

MC does not have such functionality.

I would suggest to simply grab the official mkv tools from here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
It includes a tool called "mmg", which is a GUI tool to handle MKV files, with it you can easily merge them together.

You'll have to ensure the video content is exactly the same though, as to ensure audio sync.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

scottm_dj

• Recent member

Thanks all who replied. I successfully did just that using mkvmerge and this tandem (first 2) to strip the DTS track from my DVD:

http://amorgignitamorem.nl/Audio/Extract%20the%20DTS%20audio%20part%20from%20a%20DVD%20and%20convert%20it%20to%20CDDA.pdf

Sure enough as someone cautioned, the A/V synch is off by a couple seconds (I figured it may be as different sources).   If i could fix that i'd have my dream file.  I may be able to use a digital delay option in my equipment but i'll keep researching!

Oh...is there an option in J River itself to delay the audio or video--but using a media server stream (I send direct to my "DLNA rendering" capable Blu-Ray player)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

If you have access to a Video Editing Package (I use Power Director) you cold put on both the video audio track and move them around till they match-up.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

You can adjust the timing using mkvmerge gui- select audio track- select "Format specific options" tab and enter required delay in the the delay field- delay is in ms so 2000 ms would delay by 2s.
I would use Videolan VLC to playback the file first and use the "Tools-Track synchronization" option to adjust the sync during playback and determine the exact delay required.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

|Tch0rT|

• Recent member

^^^ What they said. I've done this before with a movie once. However if the framerates don't both match then the audio will never sync up that is if your rip of the audio the video was at 23.976fps and the HD video rip you have is 24fps it'll eventually go out of sync. However you can use mkvmerge GUI to adjust the frame rates along with the audio adjustment.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - Just had a quick play in Power Director and it was trivial to add separate Video and Audio streams, move the audio so it starts at a point where it is in sync then adjust (stretch or shrink) the end point to keep it in sync.  Of course the output will re-sample the audio to match the Video but as long as the stretch/shrink is not a large % then you should not notice any pitch change.

Edit - one limitation can be the Audio formats supported by the editing packages.  For example PD only supports DD (2 and 5.1) and LPCM (2) in MKV containers.
JRiver CEO Elect

Castius

Yes, you will want to output just the audio uncompressed based on the video and remux outside the editor. So you do as little recompression as possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up