INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play files from the remote to JRiver ?  (Read 1763 times)

David dP

• Recent member
How to play files from the remote to JRiver ?
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:40 am »

Hi all !

I have recently set up a multimedia PC with JRiver, and it works flawlessly !

I have Gizmo on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S4), and this also works great to control MC and to stream media to the phone (audio and video over wifi on the first try, total configuration time : less than 5 minutes !).

Now I seem to understand that I should be able to do the reverse operation : Push and play the files that are on my phone on the PC, using DLNA.
I must be missing something, because it just doesn't work...
It is probably a setting on the phone's side, but I'd appreciate any help in getting it to work...

Best regards,

David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to play files from the remote to JRiver ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:28:11 am »

Welcome to the forum. 

You can't play the files from the phone to your PC by using Gizmo, but you can connect your phone to the PC and play the PC's files on the PC.

You could read the DLNA topic on our wiki. 

Instead of choosing to play "Here", choose the machine you wish to play to.  If you'll give me the list of possibilities, I might be able to tell you more.  It may be called "There".

David dP

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:52:27 am »

So, if I'm following you well :
Make the phones files visible for the PC (not sure how, for the moment), and use the remote to play them as any other file on the PC.
Correct ?

I'll read the DLNA topic.

Thanks !!

David

(PS : That would be a very cool feature, though !)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:15:17 am »

No.  You can play the PC's files on the PC, using Gizmo as the remote.

connersw

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:21:26 am »

Jim had it correct when he said:

You can't play the files from the phone to your PC by using Gizmo

However, I think he might have confused you towards the end.  The latter part I think he is referring to using Gizmo as a remote to stream to your Server PC or another Client PC (which it reads like you already figured out how to do).

To play the Files that are stored on your phone, you can connect you phone to your PC and transfer them as Jim suggested.  Then they are Imported into your MC Library. 

Or...you can download an app like BubbleUPnP that acts as a Digital Media Server (something that Gizmo does not do).  In Bubble UPnP, you will set your Renderer to any of your Zones in MC (they will all appear automatically on Network), and you set your Library to Local Media Server. Tap the Library tab at the bottom of your screen, and it will show you all the Media Files stored on your phone to select from.

If you go to your PC and look at MC Playing Now -> Overview, you will see your phone/BubbleUPnP show up as a new Zone since it is also a Digital Media Render.  You can then control what you are playing both from your phone and from the PC. 

And I agree, making Gizmo both a DMS and a DMR would be a very cool feature. 

David dP

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:00:15 pm »

Great information ! Thanks a lot !

Which makes me think of something related : If the PC has Bluetooth, and is declared as the BT audio peripheral for the phone, is MC able to control the phone's player like a BT headset ? And if so is it remote-controlable with Gizmo ? (See where I'm headed  ;) )
Pages: [1]   Go Up