INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: MKV video format  (Read 1900 times)

HiltP

Feature Request: MKV video format
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:30 pm »

Excuse me,

It would be ideal if mkv be added to the option for video format convertion and DVD/BD ripping. Instead of downloading another ripping program, it would be more effective if all options are served in one program.

Thanks!!

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: MKV video format
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:55:37 pm »

I would also welcome that feature.

It would also be nice if you could convert a ripped DVD in it's original format (*.ifo, *.vob etc) to a single .mkv file with no re-encoding which I am using MakeMKV for at the moment.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:25:37 am »

This is the man to convince.... but it may take a bit!

I rip all my discs with MakeMKV, .....

I'm sure such features built in MC would be greatly appreciated by many!  8)

Why would I want to replicate another perfectly functioning tool, which is free even and supports removing encryption on top?
JRiver CEO Elect

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:41:49 am »

Hendrik does have a point, why re-invent the wheel.

It was more for the convenience of just selecting a movie from the library and selecting convert format rather than having to find the movie on the hard disc etc.

I must admit that there are more important things that would be better deserving of Hendrik's valuable time.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 03:58:39 am »

It's a balance of priorities.  MC has always introduced new features that other programs do (and do well).  It becomes a matter of rounding out the app without needing to rely on 3rd party tools for common activities that MC users frequently use.  I'm sure many would like to remux to MKV but it is currently clearly not high enough of the "stuff to do" list.  I'm still waiting for the intercom feature to move up!
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:24 am »

Excuse me,

It would be ideal if mkv be added to the option for video format convertion and DVD/BD ripping. Instead of downloading another ripping program, it would be more effective if all options are served in one program.

Thanks!!

Until that day comes, I find that MKVtoolnix does a great job transcoding most vid formats to MKV. Fast too.

It's also great for dealing with chapters for those not across MC particles in conjunction with downloads from chapterdb.org

BTW - I'm most disappointed that jmone didn't take this opportunity to push the chapter vs particles barrow a little bit further down the path. Admittedly, Matt was the guy jmone was pitching to. So his going easy on this point is understandable.

This is the man to convince.... but it may take a bit!

I'm sure such features built in MC would be greatly appreciated by many!  8)

Would it help that MKVtoolnix is open source?

Admittedly, I've got no real clue how hard or easy integrate the various codes would be but it never hurts to point stuff like this out. Less amazing things have happened..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 06:53:30 am »

Yeah but I got a plug in for the Intercom!  Got to keep rotating the requests so I'll plug Particles in the next round  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:00:53 am »

Yeah but I got a plug in for the Intercom!  Got to keep rotating the requests so I'll plug Particles in the next round  ;D

Go for it dude. I'm a big fan of chaptersdb.org so you've got my support on that front.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:00 am »

What kinds of things exactly are you looking to accomplish?

Can you describe the workflow you're looking for?  Source and destination formats?  Other important notes?

I'm currently working on my framework a bit, with a mind to then build a new Processor for MCAutoQueue (similar to MCVideoRedoer).  I was thinking about wrapping Handbrake CLI, but perhaps MakeMKV or just mkvmerge would be a better (and simpler) first choice.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:26 am »

Got to keep rotating the requests so I'll plug Particles in the next round  ;D

I vote yes on this, fwiw.  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

connersw

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 03:06:04 pm »

Why would I want to replicate another perfectly functioning tool, which is free even and supports removing encryption on top?

I'm not sure I understand this argument.  EAC, dbPowerAmp, and probably a hundred other programs rip to .flac perfectly well, but the ability is still built into MC.  Making MC more of an all-in-one solution for media ripping seems like logical progression; regardless of what other programs do it as well.  I understand balancing priorities, and adding something like this not being at the top of the list; however, strictly dismissing it because another program already does it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:20:02 pm »

There is no reason we cannot add MKV as a format to target with transcoding in the future, but replacing MakeMKV entirely is something that is rather unlikely, which the original comment was targeted at.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

connersw

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 03:34:46 pm »

Cool--understood.  That makes sense to me.  Doing it "JRiver's Way" vs just replicating another program sounds logical.  Thank you for clarifying. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up