INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can (Logitech) Harmony Smart Control work with JRiver?  (Read 4987 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Can (Logitech) Harmony Smart Control work with JRiver?
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »

I bought the Harmony Smart Control. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880111080. It comes with a remote but the reason I like it is because it also can use your cell phone as a remote.

I got it all setup but it won't control Media Center. Everything else works fine.
Can anything be done to get this Controller to work with JRiver?
I suppose I could leave the HP remote IR (the remote purchased from JRiver) in the computer and use the smart Controller IR transmitter, but that seems redundant since the Smart Contoller is plugged into my HTPC.

Any advice?
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can (Logitech) Harmony Smart Control work with JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 06:39:35 pm »

How about contacting Logitech and telling them to get it together?  Tell them MC uses the same remote that works with Windows Media Center.

There is a setting in MC that disables WMC control.  It might work.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 04:51:33 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will send a report/complaint to Logitech.
And I'll try disabling WMC control.

rec head

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 07:31:36 am »

I use the Harmony ultimate which has the same hub. I still have the cheapo IR receiver hooked up to my PC and everything works great. How do you have the hub connected to the PC? If you mean with USB I think it may be power for power only.

The IR blasting on that hub is remarkable. When I set it up I thought for sure I'd have to move some gear around. Nope.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:26:02 am »

Can anything be done to get this Controller to work with JRiver?

First of all, I have the exact same Logitech remote as you, and it is all set up fine, so I can tell you that it works perfectly with MC.

I suppose I could leave the HP remote IR (the remote purchased from JRiver) in the computer and use the smart Controller IR transmitter, but that seems redundant since the Smart Contoller is plugged into my HTPC.

The hub must NOT be plugged into your HTPC !!

You only plug the hub into the PC (via the USB cable) to make the initial set up so as to get the hub talking on your wireless LAN; after that, you have to disconnect the USB connection from the PC. The Logitech remote control zapper and the Logitech iPhone / Android App talk via wi-fi to the hub, and the hub talks to all your home A/V devices (including your HTPC) by I/R. So, yes, you must keep the HP I/R receiver eye plugged into your PC...

Put the hub somewhere stand alone where it can "see" the I/R receiver eyes on your TV, receiver, Blu-ray player, HTPC, etc. (for example on the side table by your sofa) -- the only physical wired connection is the power supply.

In the initial set up you have to tell the hub about all your "Devices" e.g. TV, receiver, Blu-ray player, HTPC, etc. and for the PC you should indeed choose "Windows Media Center PC". And indeed you need to select the setting in MC to disable WMC Control.

EDIT:  see this http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468520/harmony-ultimate-smart-control-and-hub

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:37:01 pm »

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't realize the USB was only for power. I though it would control the computer just like the IR receiver that was being used. So I'll put the hub on AC power and put the HP IR receiver back in its place.

r_cohen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:17:32 am »

Another option:
https://flirc.tv

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 09:51:04 am »

Works just fine on my end.  And has for months and months without a single issue.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up