INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble Using Two FAT's  (Read 2420 times)

Hvy Duty

Trouble Using Two FAT's
« on: February 15, 2002, 09:07:14 am »

This may be confusing but I am stumped on the problem I am having I have 2 drives WD 40 gig and IBM 40 gig I have win XP on the WD and Win Me on the IBM. I boot from the BIOS to which drive I want. Most of the audio files are on the IBM drive which is FAT 32 the WD drive w/XP is NTFS which I didn't want but it installed it anyway you know MS does what it wants. Problem when I make a playlist (using MJ on the WD drive w/XP) the songs that are on the IBM (FAT 32) They might play one or four or they may crash on every one from that drive total crash (the reboot button). From that drive(IBM) they crash at the end of every song. This has been with every build including 7.2 I have 8.206 now. I boot from the IBM drive with Win Me MJ works like a charm 8.206, of course Win Me doesn't recognize the WD drive because it is NTFS what I was thinking maybe MJ has trouble with having two drives with different FAT's or would that make any difference. Has anybody else had  problem's running different FAT's. I do have MJ installed on both drives.
After reading this back I'm confused myself but maybe someone might know.
8.205 and 206 for what I use them for they are a kick ass jukebox you guys at JRiver deserve a lot of credit it doesn't take three years to come out with a fine product of course money (the need) may make a person work faster.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Trouble Using Two FAT's
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 09:18:08 am »

>>MJ has trouble with having two drives with different FAT's
nope
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 09:19:12 am »

>>I do have MJ installed on both drives.
that maybe a problem
Fayetteville, NC, USA

IQ10

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2002, 09:30:21 am »

I know you are running a single computer.

As I write this, I am listening to MJ 7.2.280 running under NTFS W2K-PRO, playing a FAT file on another computer's mapped W98SE FAT partion.  No problems here.  As you say the reverse is not possible, since FAT based W98SE cannot access NTFS partition.  My network is 100Mbps full duplex.  Just a guess, but maybe it is a timing problem, and data starvation causes the crash. If the crash is not always in the same spot, I think you have proven that it is a data buffer starvation problem. Does the problem diminish or dispappear when your not running any other stuff. Is there a way to increase the buffer size?  Matt might know.  Anyone??

[former member]

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2002, 09:34:52 am »

[former member] - I'd dispute your assertion about W98 not being able to read NTFS on another system - we have Win98 clients connecting to a bunch of NT servers all with NTFS partitions and they work fine.
Namaste,
John

IQ10

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2002, 09:54:19 am »

Gatobrit,
Hvy Duty wrote> "of course Win Me doesn't recognize the WD drive because it is NTFS"
It is my general understanding and experience that W98SE (installed as on a FAT32 partition) cannot read a data file on a NTFS partion.  I am talking about a program running under a FAT32 partitioned OS attempting to directly access data from a NTFS partition.  I am not talking about program to program communcication.  The concept is that NTFS is backward/downward compatible with FAT32, but FAT32 does not directly know about NTFS file partitioned data.

There may be some third party utilities that invisibly allow FAT32 to access NTFS, or the communications you refer to may be program to program and not program to data file. But I would be willing to learn more.

[former member]

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2002, 10:02:27 am »

i also did not know windows 98 would see an NT format

as far as i know a stock windows 98 sees 16bit and 32bit fat
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Hvy Duty

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2002, 10:09:03 am »

IQ   You are right on that.  I don't have a problem with data files and I have a home network 3 computers they are all running win me(one has the NTFS) it's only on the audio files in MJ that I have problems the other two computers when going to the drive that is ntfs will do the same thing only with the audio files in MJ.

Hvy Duty

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2002, 10:17:13 am »

IQ 100
Give me a little info on what you mean on changing the buffer I don't have a problem on data files
All drives on the network is ata 100  and they are 7200RPM  also 100mbs net I haven't tried this on real juke or data becker or creative I trashed them all when I got MJ.

IQ10

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2002, 10:24:41 am »

If crashes at different point when playing, most likely a buffer size problem.  Matt's the expert there.  Did you try with nothing else running?  I need to leave.  I will check back later.

[former member]

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2002, 10:39:26 am »

[former member]> A Win9x PC can read data from an NTFS partition across a network because the PC with the NTFS partition is serving up the data across the network.

Basically, a Win98 machine requests data from an XP machine. The XP machine reads that data off of the disk (NTFS partition) and sends it to the Win98 machine. That's why it works. The 98 OS isn't trying to directly read the NTFS partition. The XP OS is acting as a go-between basically.

Now, if you just mount an NTFS paritioned drive into a Win98 machine, Win98 isn't even going to see that partition. Because there's no serving OS involved.

What Hvy Duty is doing (correct me if I'm wrong is that he has one two hard drives, with two different OS's (Win98 & 2000) and each with its own partition type (FAT32 & NTFS - and by the way, they aren't called different FAT's. FAT is a partition type). And depending on which OS he boots to, he'll have different drive letters. Boot from 2000 and he'll have C: & D:, boot from 98 and he'll just have C:. I have never had any problems accessing data on a FAT32 partition from 2000 or XP. So I can't imagine that there's any kind of inherent problem there. And since it's all in the same machine, there shouldn't be any buffer starvation issues (not going from hdd to hdd anyway).

How are they physically connected? Are they both on the same IDE chain? Which is master and which is slave? How exactly do you change your BIOS to boot from one or the other?

Hvy Duty

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2002, 10:42:05 am »

IQ
Yes I have tried everyway I know which isn't to much. On the net from the other computers(they are Win ME) I can access the drive that is NTFS and use the files (data) no problem.  The computer that has both OS (XP-Win Me) is the problem and Win Me will not recognize the NTFS drive if it is on the same computer at least it won't on mine. No big deal I will just transfer all the audio to the drive that is FAT 32. I would still like to know how this could be fixed for future use. Am I right they say you cannot partion back to FAT 32 from NTFS if I could without losing all audio files I would do that.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2002, 10:49:56 am »

Partition Magic might be able to do it. But it's not free. There was another one... Partition Commander (I think) that might do it?

Hvy Duty

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2002, 11:03:23 am »

Doof
That is right I have XP(C) Win Me(D) you are right if you boot from win me you only have the one drive. I don't have a problem with data files (when running XP WD master) it is only the audio files  in MJ. Your other ?  WD drive master IBM Slave same IDE cable. Motherboard KA-7-100,Classic 950 athlon 512 ram  BIOS go to advanced boot from HD 0, HD1,CD ROM,there are other options pick what you want it to boot from save and you are on your way

Hvy Duty

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2002, 11:12:06 am »

One more point why have two OS's well I have a few programs I really like they will not run on MS"s new claim to fame system so I need them.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2002, 11:15:44 am »

Even running them in compatibility mode?

I'm really stumped here...

Have you tried using WMP8 to play files from the FAT32 partition? Just to see if it stumbles or anything during playback...

Hvy Duty

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2002, 11:21:25 am »

left off and I do know about the compatiblty issue in XP (you are supposed to be able to change which os your program operates on) but that only works about half the time

Hvy Duty

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2002, 11:28:22 am »

Doof
No I havn't but now you got me thinking I will try WMP, do you know if Realjuke box, have the plus version will it work with XP and I can try it also while I'm at it. Like I say no big deal but it might save someone later from using NTFS if they have all their audio files on a FAT 32 drive on the same computer

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2002, 11:46:04 am »

I've never tried Real Jukebox on XP. I don't want my system to start running poorly. Next Page

I just can't imagine that it has anything to do with the partition types. The OS itself, maybe, but not the partition types.

Have you tried copying some of the songs that are giving you trouble to the XP drive and playing them? Do they exhibit the same behavior?

Do you have another hard drive you could put in in place of the FAT32 drive, with an NTFS partition and run some tests there? Maybe it's more of an IDE problem... drivers or something... I really don't know...

Hvy Duty

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2002, 12:33:53 pm »

Doof
Realjuke you are right I took it off my sys too but it did have some good things (few and far between)
I must be in the partition type because in win me the songs that crash in XP plays fine when you are using win me with the IBM drive. I moved 50 songs from the IBM(Win Me) drive to the WD(XP) and using XP they played fine. (What I am pissed about is before I realized something was wrong I deleted about 200 songs that crashed me(when I was in XP)  I thought they were bad)I have a bad setup I go delete, no recycle bin, I am going to change that right now.
This is probably not a MJ problem. I will find out if the others will play. Like I said it may help someone else that has two OS"s with different
fat's King had an  idea having MJ on both HD's but that hasn't been a problem before and I always keep the one on Win Me up to date and I don't want to get rid of it. WORKS GREAT 206

hvyduty

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2002, 11:35:17 am »

Doof
update I didn't load realjunkboxplus and data becker would not work in XP but I did try win media and it skipped over the songs that were on the (D) drive didn't crash but didn't play either so it must be a problem with two OS's with different fat's on the same computer. I had to move the audio files(from C) to the (D) drive pain in the butt maybe this will save somebody else when they upgrade to XP with two hard drives and using two OS's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up