INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!  (Read 231522 times)

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
Re: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!
« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2014, 12:03:29 am »

I am glad the suggestion works. Can you do this for cover arts for Audio or music also?.
The change I made means that tapping on the cover art for any media type will cause the File Info page to open for that file. I haven't changed the logic for the display of cover art for those media types, though. i.e. - when you're looking at the list of tracks for an album, the cover art still won't be displayed.
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!
Android: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89392.0
BB10: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79677.0

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2014, 10:05:32 am »

The change I made means that tapping on the cover art for any media type will cause the File Info page to open for that file. I haven't changed the logic for the display of cover art for those media types, though. i.e. - when you're looking at the list of tracks for an album, the cover art still won't be displayed.

Greetings:
I sent you a PM yesterday, did you receive it?
Amazon will not ship unless I include your phone number.
Please PM your phone.

Thanks.
George

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #302 on: December 14, 2014, 03:34:46 pm »

Hey everyone!

I just pushed v3.0.5 of eos to production. It should be available in the next few hours.

The biggest new feature is the availability of Widgets. You can add an eos Widget to your homescreen and/or to your lockscreen. These widgets allow you to see the currently playing track, control playback, and change the volume. Tapping on the cover art will take you directly to the Playing Now page.

Note: Due to the Android platform's diligence in limiting power consumption, the background service that is responsible for updating the Widget gets slain quite frequently. This is really only an issue when tracking remote playback, but you'll notice that the widget won't always be in sync. That's why I added a Refresh button to the Widget. Tapping Refresh or any of the playback controls will restart this service and update the track info.

You'll also note that the platform's playback Widget will appear on the lockscreen while doing device playback of music. How this looks depends on your device, but if you've used other media players on your device it should look familiar. As part of this change, you should also be able to control playback using media buttons (e.g. - from a bluetooth stereo), and the track info should also be displayed on a connected stereo (where supported).

In addition, when viewing a list of files, you can now tap on the cover art to be taken to the File Info page for that item.

Cheers!

-L
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2014, 04:46:02 pm »

Oops, just realized the volume icons on the Lockscreen widget were incorrect. Uploaded v3.0.6 with the fix.

-L

High-End

• World Citizen
« Reply #304 on: December 14, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »

within the weekend I was surfing the net and some possible new music came across.
because my musik server was not up and running to check if I did not already have the CD ( or not available, offline, what ever) I had to let pass the opportunity ( had to park the cd's in the shopping cart, what ever).
That is the reason why I am asking to implement for a offline DB within EOS ;-)
From my pont of view, unlike the generic specific tags @ "playing now" http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92511.0, eos did'nt need any additional features from MC.
Could you please think a second time of implementing such a feature within EOS.....
;-)

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2014, 01:11:31 am »

That is the reason why I am asking to implement for a offline DB within EOS ;-)

Could you please think a second time of implementing such a feature within EOS.....
Sorry, but no. An offline cache is a significant amount of work, mainly because MC's responses explicitly indicate that they shouldn't be cached. This means that I would have to implement caching logic myself, logic which should normally be handled by an HTTP cache automatically based on response headers.

zeusl

• Recent member
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2014, 01:18:21 am »

Oops, just realized the volume icons on the Lockscreen widget were incorrect. Uploaded v3.0.6 with the fix.

-L

A tip when you type in "News" on Google Play.
Save one or two versiner back, as it was now so I do not see the big change just the last thing you did ...
(I use MC primarily for music...)

jmhsb

• Recent member
« Reply #307 on: December 17, 2014, 09:40:13 am »

A couple issues--
1. Audio Conversion Off will not play FLAC.  Just hangs on buffering (even on network).  G2 running KitKat, so I should be able to decode FLAC I would think.  The only thing I can get to play with this setting are source format MP3s.
2. Bluetooth does not display track info.  Media buttons on my head unit work great, but no track info on the screen.  I have the same issue with Gizmo.  Google Play and the LG media player display the track info just fine, so I don't think it is a device limitation.  Does this require root access or something?

A couple questions--
1. Reading the first page, it sounds like video seek was not possible.  Is that still the case?  It works playing to a zone, but not playing to device.
2. What are the video quality settings?  Looks like high is 720p maybe?  Would it be possible to add 1080p?  What about adding OGG Vorbis 16/44.1 for audio?  Not sure if that is controlled by you or what JRiver is capable of sending.

A couple suggestions--
1. Would it be possible to add a long tap on the pause button for stop?  Instead of having to go into a menu.
2. Could you make the device soft menu key open settings?

FWIW I have this running on an Amazon FireTV Stick. Works great.  If I could get Redbook quality audio and 1080p video, it would eliminate any other streamer or DLNA device.  I currently use Kodi for Android loading my library thru UPnP for the higher quality, but it doesn't work off network.  This would solve that when traveling.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2014, 01:23:53 pm »

A couple issues--
1. Audio Conversion Off will not play FLAC.  Just hangs on buffering (even on network).  G2 running KitKat, so I should be able to decode FLAC I would think.  The only thing I can get to play with this setting are source format MP3s.
2. Bluetooth does not display track info.  Media buttons on my head unit work great, but no track info on the screen.  I have the same issue with Gizmo.  Google Play and the LG media player display the track info just fine, so I don't think it is a device limitation.  Does this require root access or something?

A couple questions--
1. Reading the first page, it sounds like video seek was not possible.  Is that still the case?  It works playing to a zone, but not playing to device.
2. What are the video quality settings?  Looks like high is 720p maybe?  Would it be possible to add 1080p?  What about adding OGG Vorbis 16/44.1 for audio?  Not sure if that is controlled by you or what JRiver is capable of sending.

A couple suggestions--
1. Would it be possible to add a long tap on the pause button for stop?  Instead of having to go into a menu.
2. Could you make the device soft menu key open settings?

FWIW I have this running on an Amazon FireTV Stick. Works great.  If I could get Redbook quality audio and 1080p video, it would eliminate any other streamer or DLNA device.  I currently use Kodi for Android loading my library thru UPnP for the higher quality, but it doesn't work off network.  This would solve that when traveling.

I'll try and tackle your questions in the same order:

Re: issues:
1. I would think that your device is able to decode FLAC. I'm not sure how much of the track needs to be buffered before playback starts. My entire library is in FLAC, and I've had no trouble streaming those files to my Nexus 7 or Xperia Z2 over wifi. I haven't exposed my library server to the internet so I've never tried streaming over 4G. Playback usually starts in 2-4 seconds. Does it eventually time out, or does it stay in "buffering" forever?
2. eos gives all of the metadata for the current track to the platform, and then the platform is responsible for providing that metadata to the stereo. This shouldn't require root access. If you see the track info on the lockscreen, then the data is being provided to the platform. I know that some users in the Alpha group were able to see the track info on their stereos, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on yours. Since it also doesn't work with Gizmo, my guess would be that it has something to do with the formatting of the track info, since the data would be coming from the same source.

Re: questions:
1. Yes, video seek during device playback is still broken. eos uses Android's VideoView control to do playback, and its support it sketchy, at best.
2. The video quality settings are the same as Gizmo's. As far as I'm aware, MC's transcoding options are limited to this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67837.msg504947#msg504947 - so the short answer, I think, is no.

Re: suggestions:
1. It isn't possible to distinguish long or short clicks on items in the action bar. There's a single method "onOptionsItemSelected" that gets fired as soon as you press one of those items.
2. At first I wasn't sure what you meant when you said "soft menu key", so I had to look it up. According to Google's own docs, the menu key is deprecated as of 3.0, which is probably why I'd never heard of it :). I'm not sure what changes would be required to support this, or how to test those changes if I did. Out of curiosity, what device are you using that still has a menu key?

One of my biggest complaints about the Android platform is that when it comes to media, there's so much inconsistency between different manufacturers, even on the same Android build. When I wrote eos for BB10 I didn't have to worry about others having different experiences, because both the hardware and software were very controlled. Android feels like a crapshoot.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »

I finally realized that the device image viewer works somehow, but is very slow to load pictures (I thought it was broken). Even on my home WLAN, more often than not, images are not displayed at all (most times) or after some 20-30s. My images on the MC server are typically 2 to 10MB JPEGs.

So to a number of image viewing questions, related to image browsing and viewing on device:
  • Can loading of thumbs and full screen images be made more responsive, e.g. by transcoding (I rarely have any need for a 12Mpx image on my mobile device). And how should transcoding settings be defined?
  • When an image list is created, by keyword, year or other filtering, could it be possible to have tiles/thumbnails building quickly rather than a list of file names? My image file names are less than self explanatory...
  • New feature request: Can single-image viewing be made full screen?
  • New feature request: Swipe zoom of single-image viewing when in full screen mode.

I realize that image viewing is maybe not everyone's top priority, but for me, a remote viewer is valuable. And since Gizmo does not support zooming, this would be a really valuable new eos feature.

Ekpen

« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »

A couple issues--
1. Audio Conversion Off will not play FLAC.  Just hangs on buffering (even on network). 

Greetings:
My entire audio library is FLAC. Conversion is set to "off". I have no problem  on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 playing  FLAC ripped audio.

George

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #311 on: December 17, 2014, 06:09:43 pm »

George,
Add you comments after the [ /quote ].  If you add them before, they end up as part of the quote.

Ekpen

« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:44 pm »

George,
Add you comments after the [ /quote ].  If you add them before, they end up as part of the quote.

Sorry, my mistake  I did delete most of the comments not to waste space.

George

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:03 am »

I finally realized that the device image viewer works somehow, but is very slow to load pictures (I thought it was broken). Even on my home WLAN, more often than not, images are not displayed at all (most times) or after some 20-30s. My images on the MC server are typically 2 to 10MB JPEGs.

So to a number of image viewing questions, related to image browsing and viewing on device:
  • Can loading of thumbs and full screen images be made more responsive, e.g. by transcoding (I rarely have any need for a 12Mpx image on my mobile device). And how should transcoding settings be defined?
  • When an image list is created, by keyword, year or other filtering, could it be possible to have tiles/thumbnails building quickly rather than a list of file names? My image file names are less than self explanatory...
  • New feature request: Can single-image viewing be made full screen?
  • New feature request: Swipe zoom of single-image viewing when in full screen mode.

I realize that image viewing is maybe not everyone's top priority, but for me, a remote viewer is valuable. And since Gizmo does not support zooming, this would be a really valuable new eos feature.

Hey Trumpetguy,

I can definitely put some work into the image viewer in eos. I found a library that provides pinch and zoom support, so I'll try adding that to see how well it works. In 3.0.5 I added a "loading" placeholder that appears while fetching the full image. Take a look at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67837.msg504947#msg504947 - you'll see a number of image transcoding options. I can implement those - as well as "Off", similar to Audio transcoding - in the Settings page. Do those suffice?

As for switching the view type to grids when viewing lists of Images, unfortunately that isn't possible. MCWS doesn't provide any context for an app to know what kind of items are in list the user is looking at.

Cheers!

-L

Ekpen

« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »

hi:

Visiting the "info" display again, I noticed the cover art info for audio works differently.
For movies, it just displays the info with a tap of the cover art, but audio, when you tap the cover, it goes to the individual track, then tapping the track brings up the info.
I do not know if this is how you want it for the audio or not.

Another minor issue I just noticed a few minutes ago.
Watching a movie, it just stops, then starts to buffer and suddenly out of no where, will load another movie you did not ask for <grin>

Thanks for always finding a way to improve EOS.
George

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2014, 11:40:12 pm »

hi:

Visiting the "info" display again, I noticed the cover art info for audio works differently.
For movies, it just displays the info with a tap of the cover art, but audio, when you tap the cover, it goes to the individual track, then tapping the track brings up the info.
I do not know if this is how you want it for the audio or not.

Another minor issue I just noticed a few minutes ago.
Watching a movie, it just stops, then starts to buffer and suddenly out of no where, will load another movie you did not ask for <grin>

Thanks for always finding a way to improve EOS.
George

George,

Yes, this is expected: tapping the cover art to open file info only works on lists of files. I believe I mentioned this in the last PM I sent you, but I didn't save it to my outbox so I can't be sure.

Are you referring to remote playback or device playback when you say that video playback "just stops" and advances to another video?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2014, 03:46:16 pm »

Just pushed v3.1.0 to Google Play!

This version includes the changes to the Image Viewer that I mentioned to Trumpetguy a few posts back:
  • new option in Settings to change the image conversion settings. Enabling one of these is strongly recommended, since it will greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to load an image from your library server!
  • pinch, zoom, and scroll support in the Image Viewer

It also fixes a few crashes that I've seen show up in my Google Play console since v3.0, which are likely related to the new Widgets.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #317 on: December 19, 2014, 04:21:46 pm »

Just pushed v3.1.0 to Google Play!

This version includes the changes to the Image Viewer that I mentioned to Trumpetguy a few posts back:
  • new option in Settings to change the image conversion settings. Enabling one of these is strongly recommended, since it will greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to load an image from your library server!
  • pinch, zoom, and scroll support in the Image Viewer

It also fixes a few crashes that I've seen show up in my Google Play console since v3.0, which are likely related to the new Widgets.

Wow, you're fast! Looking forward to test these new features when play store pushes the update. Thanks for the effort!

Ekpen

« Reply #318 on: December 19, 2014, 05:38:50 pm »

George,

Yes, this is expected: tapping the cover art to open file info only works on lists of files. I believe I mentioned this in the last PM I sent you, but I didn't save it to my outbox so I can't be sure.

Are you referring to remote playback or device playback when you say that video playback "just stops" and advances to another video?

Cover art info for audio. If this is how you designed it, then it is ok, but just wondering if it can be  modified to just work like the video counterpart. If this is not possible, it is not a big deal.

It just "stops" while playing video from device. At times, it will just start all over with same video or pick any movie at random.
George.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #319 on: December 19, 2014, 06:12:14 pm »

Cover art info for audio. If this is how you designed it, then it is ok, but just wondering if it can be  modified to just work like the video counterpart. If this is not possible, it is not a big deal.

It just "stops" while playing video from device. At times, it will just start all over with same video or pick any movie at random.
George.

Not sure what you're asking for wrt audio cover art. Tapping the cover art to go to File Info works the same way for all types of files. As I mentioned, this only works when you're viewing lists of files, i.e. - when you aren't looking at a grid. If you're looking at a list of albums, you aren't looking at a list of files - you have to drill down to the tracks and tap on the cover art next to the track you want info about.

Tapping on a video when doing device playback functions the same way as audio - it builds a playlist based on the videos in the list. Once the current video has finished, it's supposed to start the next one automatically. In the case of an error, however, it isn't supposed to jump to the next track. I'm not sure why it would stop playing in the middle of a video. The only thing that would come to mind is that you have transcoding enabled, and your computer is converting the video slower than you're watching it. In that case, when you get to the end of the buffer it might signal completion, and advance to the next video in the playlist.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #320 on: December 22, 2014, 01:57:29 am »

Hey Trumpetguy,

I can definitely put some work into the image viewer in eos. I found a library that provides pinch and zoom support, so I'll try adding that to see how well it works. In 3.0.5 I added a "loading" placeholder that appears while fetching the full image. Take a look at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67837.msg504947#msg504947 - you'll see a number of image transcoding options. I can implement those - as well as "Off", similar to Audio transcoding - in the Settings page. Do those suffice?

As for switching the view type to grids when viewing lists of Images, unfortunately that isn't possible. MCWS doesn't provide any context for an app to know what kind of items are in list the user is looking at.

Cheers!

-L

Pinch and zoom works, and images load much, much faster. Thanks!

Two wishes: can images be show in full-screen? And I realized that a higher resolution option would be good. Zooming in on an already 1:1 view doesn't do much....what about double fullHD or some standard resolution close to that?

Regarding lists - half the solution is there already. When listing based on a filter, only the filenames are shown. After viewing and images and going back to the playing now list,  thumbs have suddenly appeared left of the names. Is it possible to have them appearing the first time?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #321 on: December 22, 2014, 01:06:48 pm »

Pinch and zoom works, and images load much, much faster. Thanks!

Two wishes: can images be show in full-screen? And I realized that a higher resolution option would be good. Zooming in on an already 1:1 view doesn't do much....what about double fullHD or some standard resolution close to that?

Regarding lists - half the solution is there already. When listing based on a filter, only the filenames are shown. After viewing and images and going back to the playing now list,  thumbs have suddenly appeared left of the names. Is it possible to have them appearing the first time?

Did you take a look at the link I put in my last message? I added all of the transcoding options to eos that MC supports.

I'll look into adding a button to hide the chrome on the Image Viewer.

When you say "listing based on a filter", what are you referring to? A preview image should appear next to the file name in all cases, except when looking at the track listing for an album in the default Audio view. I'll dig into the logic again to ensure this is the case.

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #322 on: December 23, 2014, 06:18:29 am »

I did, and I will reply more comprehensively when I have more than my mobile to communicate with.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »

When you say "listing based on a filter", what are you referring to? A preview image should appear next to the file name in all cases, except when looking at the track listing for an album in the default Audio view. I'll dig into the logic again to ensure this is the case.

I've added a "Full Screen" action to the Image Viewer. This will work best in KitKat (4.4) and higher, which is where Google added the "Immersive" flag to the API. This allows the system UI to remain hidden while touching the screen (e.g. - during pinch and zoom), and will bring the system UI back after swiping down from the top of the screen.

I've also investigated the logic for the preview images, and it turns out I was incorrect. I've changed the logic so that the preview image will always be displayed for Image items. Both of these changes will be included in the next build.

Ekpen

« Reply #324 on: December 24, 2014, 03:03:19 pm »

Cover art info for audio. If this is how you designed it, then it is ok, but just wondering if it can be  modified to just work like the video counterpart. If this is not possible, it is not a big deal.

George.

In 3.10, the "stop" I reported earlier has not happened. Whatever it is, has  not occurred again.

Any update regarding the Chrome cast?

Do you think the MCWS file can be updated by Matt to allow user to log in to  OS and other remotes?

Last question: If the API for Android allows 1080p or higher video, can it be implemented in EOS/Chromecast or is the video capability frozen at 720p?

You have a Merry Christmas.
George

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2014, 01:39:28 am »

+1

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #326 on: December 26, 2014, 09:47:48 am »

In 3.10, the "stop" I reported earlier has not happened. Whatever it is, has  not occurred again.

Do you think the MCWS file can be updated by Matt to allow user to log in to  OS and other remotes?

Last question: If the API for Android allows 1080p or higher video, can it be implemented in EOS/Chromecast or is the video capability frozen at 720p?

You have a Merry Christmas.
George
Thanks George! Happy holidays to you and yours as well!

I placed an order for a Chromecast a few days ago. It should arrive in the mail in the next few (business) days.

I don't want to speak for JRiver devs regarding multiple user accounts. It's likely technically possible, but I don't know how difficult it would be for them to implement, or if it's even on their roadmap!

There's nothing preventing eos - or any other remote using MCWS - from getting higher quality video from your library server if it was available. I believe that JRiver would just need to increase the quality of the "High" transcoding profile, or add an additional profile like "Very High".

-L

Ekpen

« Reply #327 on: December 26, 2014, 02:10:22 pm »

Thanks George! Happy holidays to you and yours as well!

I placed an order for a Chromecast a few days ago. It should arrive in the mail in the next few (business) days.

I don't want to speak for JRiver devs regarding multiple user accounts. It's likely technically possible, but I don't know how difficult it would be for them to implement, or if it's even on their roadmap!

There's nothing preventing eos - or any other remote using MCWS - from getting higher quality video from your library server if it was available. I believe that JRiver would just need to increase the quality of the "High" transcoding profile, or add an additional profile like "Very High".

-L

I know JH is reading this, he recently caught my error on the forum a few days ago <grin>

JH- CEO - please read on, and help us on this video quality upgrade and user accounts integration for these remotes.

I am very glad to read about the Chrome cast effort. It will be a killer feature.
I thought MC folks or rather 3rd party developers have a special clout with Jim and Matt and you guys will be heard.
I hope the powers to be are reading these requests.
Beef up the video to 1080P or higher, and tweak the MCWS to allow user setting for logging and password use for accessing remote servers via the 3rd party remotes.
On my WD 92840 inch Mitsubishi DLP, 720P video looks like mud, but  video shines at 1080P.

Thanks.

George

Trumpetguy

« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2014, 01:38:21 pm »

Did you take a look at the link I put in my last message? I added all of the transcoding options to eos that MC supports.

There is a more hirez image option in MC 2560x1600. Did you include that? It seems you did, I believe the images are a bit larger that at first, but still loads very fast.

I will try and explain one of my earlier suggestions better:
When filtering images with keywords (my preferred view mode), or maybe year or whatnot, the first view that appears is a text list of file names. Once you click on an image, and then "back" at the top of the screen, a playlist has been generated. This playlist is with thumbs. What if the playlist is populated directly when choosing your filter criterion? Then thumbs would appear instantly and the list would be so much better to browse. Even better - if the thumbs could be larger (e.g. two per column with screen in portrait), and focus could be on the thumbs, with file names only as a very discrete additional info.

Full screen view:
Now, the back field on the screen top takes a lot of space. What about removing it alltoghether and make us use the phone's back button? Also, there is a grey, half transparent overlay at the bottom, that masks a significant part of the image. It contains only the file name, which I don't find very useful. Could it be removed, or made to disappear after - let's say - five seconds?

This is starting to be very nice - the responsiveness in zooming, orientation swap (which gizmo doesn't have), and the image swooshing is very good!

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2014, 05:13:16 pm »

There is a more hirez image option in MC 2560x1600. Did you include that? It seems you did, I believe the images are a bit larger that at first, but still loads very fast.

I will try and explain one of my earlier suggestions better:
When filtering images with keywords (my preferred view mode), or maybe year or whatnot, the first view that appears is a text list of file names. Once you click on an image, and then "back" at the top of the screen, a playlist has been generated. This playlist is with thumbs. What if the playlist is populated directly when choosing your filter criterion? Then thumbs would appear instantly and the list would be so much better to browse. Even better - if the thumbs could be larger (e.g. two per column with screen in portrait), and focus could be on the thumbs, with file names only as a very discrete additional info.

Full screen view:
Now, the back field on the screen top takes a lot of space. What about removing it alltoghether and make us use the phone's back button? Also, there is a grey, half transparent overlay at the bottom, that masks a significant part of the image. It contains only the file name, which I don't find very useful. Could it be removed, or made to disappear after - let's say - five seconds?

This is starting to be very nice - the responsiveness in zooming, orientation swap (which gizmo doesn't have), and the image swooshing is very good!

Yes, I did include 2560x1600. I'd imagine that Media Center will reduce the quality when converting, which should lead to a smaller file size. This would mean quicker load times, even if the images in your library are already that size.

As I mentioned, I have changed the display logic for thumbnails so that lists of Image files will always show thumbnails, similar to the Playlist view that you're referring to. I've also added a full screen action item that will hide all of the system UI (which includes the device's back button row on some devices) when tapped. Both of these changes will be included in the next build.

The half transparent overlay you mentioned - is that the bar that shows the current file indicator (e.g. - 3/7)? I didn't find it too obtrusive, so I've left it as is. But I can have its visibility toggled with the Full Screen option, if you'd prefer. You seem to be one of the only people using this feature, so I'll defer to you on this!

-L

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2014, 05:44:13 pm »

That's excellent, really appreciate you taking my requests so seriously!

And I think you are right, I believe I am the only one I know that is actually enjoying looking at and using my photos :-) they are valuable to me, and now with really good mobile devices we can for the first time really bother friends, colleagues, family etc at any time....

Looking forward to the next build.

Trumpetguy

Re: Re: Re: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2014, 05:50:03 pm »

The half transparent overlay you mentioned - is that the bar that shows the current file indicator (e.g. - 3/7)? I didn't find it too obtrusive, so I've left it as is. But I can have its visibility toggled with the Full Screen option, if you'd prefer. You seem to be one of the only people using this feature, so I'll defer to you on this!

-L

Yes, that's the one. It is not really obtrusive, I agree. But I would still vote for it to go away or alternatively be more transparent in full screen view.

jmhsb

• Recent member
« Reply #332 on: January 01, 2015, 10:55:29 am »

I'll try and tackle your questions in the same order:

Re: issues:
1. I would think that your device is able to decode FLAC. I'm not sure how much of the track needs to be buffered before playback starts. My entire library is in FLAC, and I've had no trouble streaming those files to my Nexus 7 or Xperia Z2 over wifi. I haven't exposed my library server to the internet so I've never tried streaming over 4G. Playback usually starts in 2-4 seconds. Does it eventually time out, or does it stay in "buffering" forever?
2. eos gives all of the metadata for the current track to the platform, and then the platform is responsible for providing that metadata to the stereo. This shouldn't require root access. If you see the track info on the lockscreen, then the data is being provided to the platform. I know that some users in the Alpha group were able to see the track info on their stereos, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on yours. Since it also doesn't work with Gizmo, my guess would be that it has something to do with the formatting of the track info, since the data would be coming from the same source.

1.  It used to just time out about 1:30 and give an error.  I believe it was "Media Server Error; 1" or something similar.  Between the latest EOS update and MC20.0.50, it now plays the FLAC files.  However, it hangs on buffering for anywhere from 25s to 1:30 between every track.  This is on network, sitting right next to my router pulling 50Mbps down.  I've just resigned myself to MP3 High since gaps like that aren't acceptable, and I haven't messed with it off network any more.  Really disappointed since this was the main reason I purchased EOS.  

Before the recent updates, I did do a couple tests where I converted the same FLAC files to wav and Ogg Vorbis.  The wav files timed out just like the FLAC files.  However, the Ogg files played perfectly.  Really wish JRiver would add an option for Ogg 16/44.1 streaming since it is a much better format for streaming than FLAC, and we could then at least have Redbook quality.  Unfortunately, they don't seem too interested in making any improvements in this area (again, why I tried EOS).

2.  This is also disappointing.  I think you are correct that it must have something to do with the formatting of the info since it doesn't seem to be hardware specific.  I have tried with several phones through out the years, and my head unit receives track info from other apps.  Again, this sounds like an issue for JRiver to fix which doesn't seem likely.

Re: questions:
2. The video quality settings are the same as Gizmo's. As far as I'm aware, MC's transcoding options are limited to this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67837.msg504947#msg504947 - so the short answer, I think, is no.

Bummer, another JRiver issue that likely will not change any time soon.  Considering phones are now being released with QHD displays and people are connecting them to HD and 4K screens, you'd think there would be a 1080 option by now.

Re: suggestions:
1. It isn't possible to distinguish long or short clicks on items in the action bar. There's a single method "onOptionsItemSelected" that gets fired as soon as you press one of those items.
2. At first I wasn't sure what you meant when you said "soft menu key", so I had to look it up. According to Google's own docs, the menu key is deprecated as of 3.0, which is probably why I'd never heard of it :). I'm not sure what changes would be required to support this, or how to test those changes if I did. Out of curiosity, what device are you using that still has a menu key?

1. Hmm.  I guess this would require a pretty extensive UI redo, but what about having tap actions linked to the Now Playing cover art?  
2. Looks like this is tied to the push to use the Action Bar as well.  I had no idea the menu key was phased out so far back.  Every device I use uses one (LG G2, Samsung S4...fairly recent hardware well past 3.0).  Also, having it sideloaded onto a FireTV stick, it lets me use the menu key on the remote.  Funny, after I read this, I went and checked, and every app I use has a soft menu key function except for Google Play Music.  

FWIW, Trumpetguy is not the only one using the new Image features.  I think they are awesome--I had been waiting for swipe and pinch to zoom in Gizmo for a long time.  I'm looking forward to the full screen update.  The only issue I have is every 4th-5th image seems to not load.  I just get that loading icon.  Not sure if this is a buffering issue or it doesn't like the format.  I'm using 1920x1080 conversion and have plenty of bandwidth.  Maybe it would be possible to add some sort of cache where it downloads 10-images ahead like Gizmo does with audio?  Also, would be nice to have something similar to the filmstrip in Gizmo where you could skip ahead several images without having to go back to the playlist.  

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #333 on: January 02, 2015, 10:14:27 pm »

1.  It used to just time out about 1:30 and give an error.  I believe it was "Media Server Error; 1" or something similar.  Between the latest EOS update and MC20.0.50, it now plays the FLAC files.  However, it hangs on buffering for anywhere from 25s to 1:30 between every track.  This is on network, sitting right next to my router pulling 50Mbps down.  I've just resigned myself to MP3 High since gaps like that aren't acceptable, and I haven't messed with it off network any more.  Really disappointed since this was the main reason I purchased EOS.  

Before the recent updates, I did do a couple tests where I converted the same FLAC files to wav and Ogg Vorbis.  The wav files timed out just like the FLAC files.  However, the Ogg files played perfectly.  Really wish JRiver would add an option for Ogg 16/44.1 streaming since it is a much better format for streaming than FLAC, and we could then at least have Redbook quality.  Unfortunately, they don't seem too interested in making any improvements in this area (again, why I tried EOS).

I haven't changed any of the logic for device playback in a few weeks, so I would wager that it was the JRiver update that fixed your failing FLAC playback. I'm sorry to hear that there's still such a huge gap between sequential files - that certainly isn't acceptable. I'm not even sure what could be causing this. eos starts buffering the next track as soon as the current one begins playback. This is supposed to ensure that the two tracks playback gaplessly. You're the first person that has told me that this isn't working as expected, and I can't reproduce it on my end.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your setup? I run MC on both my HTPC and my (development) laptop.
  • My HTPC is on the main floor of my house and has a wired connected to my wireless router, which in turn is connected to a powerline ethernet adapter. The other powerline adapter is downstairs, which is connected to a switch, and my internet router/modem is also connected to this switch. My NAS - where all of my FLAC files are stored - is also downstairs, connected to the switch. (If it sounds like a mess that's because it kind of is :)) I don't have any trouble streaming FLAC files to my device when pulling them from my HTPC, and playback normally starts in under a second.
  • My laptop has a copy of my FLAC files. Streaming FLAC from it is also quick, but I wouldn't say it was noticeably quicker than all the network hops (except when the disk drive has to spin up).

It sounds like your problem is somehow related to bandwidth. I can't think of any reason why it would take ~90s for playback to start in any scenario. Does playback skip, or pause to buffer once started?

On your MC instance, click on "Services & Plug-ins" on the left, then "Media Network". Then, in the "Server" dropdown, click the option that's "{Name_of_Server} (Library Server)" (where {Name_of_Server} is the computer's name). This should filter the Activity log at the bottom so it's more manageable, and will show you all of the requests that your server is responding to from eos (or any other remotes). Then try playing back a FLAC file, and you'll see at least one GetFile call. Try typing the same URL into your device's browser, and see if you still experience the same delay trying to start playback.

Hmm.  I guess this would require a pretty extensive UI redo, but what about having tap actions linked to the Now Playing cover art?

Tap actions? Not sure what you mean by that. Currently, long pressing on that cover art will perform a search for that album.

FWIW, Trumpetguy is not the only one using the new Image features.  I think they are awesome--I had been waiting for swipe and pinch to zoom in Gizmo for a long time.  I'm looking forward to the full screen update.  The only issue I have is every 4th-5th image seems to not load.  I just get that loading icon.  Not sure if this is a buffering issue or it doesn't like the format.  I'm using 1920x1080 conversion and have plenty of bandwidth.  Maybe it would be possible to add some sort of cache where it downloads 10-images ahead like Gizmo does with audio?  Also, would be nice to have something similar to the filmstrip in Gizmo where you could skip ahead several images without having to go back to the playlist.  

Is it always the same image that doesn't load? Does it get stuck with the loading icon, or does it eventually load, or timeout and show the failure image? What if you have a list of around 10 images? Do other items past 4-5 still load?

If it's always the same image, you can try looking for the GetFile URL in the Media Network log I mentioned above, and try hitting the URL from the browser on your server. That'll tell you if it's a transcoding issue specific to that image.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #334 on: January 03, 2015, 02:10:35 am »

I've just published v3.2 to Google Play. Changelist:

New:
-Full screen mode available in the Image Viewer (optimized for KitKat, v4.4 and higher)
-Added a setting to change the default action when clicking on a file: Play [the default, and the current behavior], Add as Next, or Add

Changed:
-Updated widget layouts
-Lists of image files will always show the thumbnail

Fixed:
-Various crashes that have been reported
-Playing Now page's cover art will once again default to the eos logo if it could not be loaded

Happy New Year!

-L

claus-11

« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2015, 09:01:54 am »

Regarding the hardware allowed and disallowed by Google Play, is this a developer's choice or is it referenced against a master list by Google? I ask because I'd like to install eos in a tablet as well as my phone, but it refuses. I fear going out to buy another tablet only to find out Play won't let me install it there either.

I read of a similar issue a few posts ago, with a Google TV device, and that it might be possible to install an .apk bypassing the Play filtering. The tablet device is configured with the same account I used to purchase eos from my phone. Will it acknowledge the full version? Are there any known conflicts from using both devices to control a single MC?

Thank you and congratulations for developing eos.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2015, 11:02:25 am »

Regarding the hardware allowed and disallowed by Google Play, is this a developer's choice or is it referenced against a master list by Google? I ask because I'd like to install eos in a tablet as well as my phone, but it refuses. I fear going out to buy another tablet only to find out Play won't let me install it there either.

I read of a similar issue a few posts ago, with a Google TV device, and that it might be possible to install an .apk bypassing the Play filtering. The tablet device is configured with the same account I used to purchase eos from my phone. Will it acknowledge the full version? Are there any known conflicts from using both devices to control a single MC?

Thank you and congratulations for developing eos.

The only restriction I've added is that your device has to be running Android v4.1 (Jelly Bean) or later. If your device is running an earlier version of Android, eos will not work on it. I haven't tried it on an Android TV box myself, but others in this thread have said that it works for them.

claus-11

« Reply #337 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »

The only restriction I've added is that your device has to be running Android v4.1 (Jelly Bean) or later. If your device is running an earlier version of Android, eos will not work on it. I haven't tried it on an Android TV box myself, but others in this thread have said that it works for them.

Thanks for the quick reply. Understood, the device is running 4.0.4 which falls outside of the requirements; I'll go buy a newer tablet then.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #338 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:39 pm »

Thanks a lot for the latest update. Full image viewing works very well.

I'm almost certain I actually miss the image number down om the lower right corner, though  ;D . Never though I would. Maybe so much that semitransparent bottom bar, but the numbers could probably be sufficiently visible even without it? You could think about it if you find the time. Not a big deal, and - to be perferctly clear once more - it works really well now already.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #339 on: January 05, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »

Thanks a lot for the latest update. Full image viewing works very well.

I'm almost certain I actually miss the image number down om the lower right corner, though  ;D . Never though I would. Maybe so much that semitransparent bottom bar, but the numbers could probably be sufficiently visible even without it? You could think about it if you find the time. Not a big deal, and - to be perferctly clear once more - it works really well now already.

heh, no problem! I'll release another new version soon, that will change the Image Viewer in two ways:

1) Instead of the bottom bar being the full length of the screen, it now wraps the indicator text.
2) Swiping down from the top of the screen to bring back the system UI will now permanently bring it back, along with the action bar and position indicator. You can then tap on the full screen button to go back into fullscreen.

If you want, I can change the indicator so that it's permanently visible, now that it's smaller. But change 2) will make it possible to show it again. So it's up to you!

Ekpen

« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2015, 05:41:03 pm »

George,

Greetings:

In device playback, movie just stops in the middle of nowhere, starts another movie. It has been behaving like this for almost 2 weeks. I thought it stopped.

Any progress regarding chrome cast feature?

Take care,
George

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #341 on: January 10, 2015, 12:14:41 pm »

Big news! After much Android Wizardry (read: major hackery), I was able to greatly improve device video playback! The playback controls should now show the proper duration, and you should be able to use the seek bar to jump to a position within the video. This change will be included in the next build (v3.5), which I'll push sometime today.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2015, 12:21:39 pm »

Greetings:

In device playback, movie just stops in the middle of nowhere, starts another movie. It has been behaving like this for almost 2 weeks. I thought it stopped.

Any progress regarding chrome cast feature?

Take care,
George

Hi George,

As I mentioned before, the only reason I can think that playback would stop in the middle and advance to the next video is if your library server isn't transcoding the video quickly enough for your device. I've gone over the code a few times; the only time that playback of the next video should start is if the current video has signaled completion. If an error occurs, eos will show a dialog with error information and a "Close" button. Pressing Close will close the video viewer.

I received my Chromecast in the mail last week, but due to the holidays and falling sick this week I haven't had time to play around with it. It's next on my list of things to investigate.

-L

Trumpetguy

« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2015, 01:58:01 pm »

Big news! After much Android Wizardry (read: major hackery), I was able to greatly improve device video playback! The playback controls should now show the proper duration, and you should be able to use the seek bar to jump to a position within the video. This change will be included in the next build (v3.5), which I'll push sometime today.

Wow, really looking forward to that one!
Now would be the right time to nag you once more about chromecast...?

Ekpen

« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2015, 02:59:26 pm »

Hi George,

As I mentioned before, the only reason I can think that playback would stop in the middle and advance to the next video is if your library server isn't transcoding the video quickly enough for your device. I've gone over the code a few times; the only time that playback of the next video should start is if the current video has signaled completion. If an error occurs, eos will show a dialog with error information and a "Close" button. Pressing Close will close the video viewer.

I received my Chromecast in the mail last week, but due to the holidays and falling sick this week I haven't had time to play around with it. It's next on my list of things to investigate.

-L

The video just stops and it will look like buffering, then jumps to the next video or movie. EOS does not display any error message.

The htpc I use now is very fast. It is an Asus 2770i or so. Graphic card is AMD, with 2560x1440 IPS display, madvr works great  with this htpc.

Glad you got your chrome cast. May you get well. The Angels are watching over you.

I hope the MC crew will improve on the resolution i. e  1080P or better. 720P does not look good on my WD92840 Mitsubishi dlp.
Also, praying for the user account to be integrated with Gizmo and all remotes.
I was sick , sick for a long time also, now I am getting better.

Take care.

George

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2015, 04:34:13 pm »

Sorry, didn't see what you wrote about that chromecast unit, my nagging was a bit out of order. Sorry.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »

More big news: Chromecast support! I spent most of yesterday coding, and I've got it to the point where all media types can be Cast. Tracks will also play back in sequence if a playlist is defined, but due to the nature of Chromecast gapless isn't possible.

I'll be pushing v4.0 to Alpha sometime this evening. I've ironed out a number of crashes that I've seen, but I'm sure there are still others lurking. I'll probably keep v4 soaking in Alpha until at least the weekend, so I can monitor stability.

If you want an invite to the Alpha group, send me a PM.

-L

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #347 on: January 19, 2015, 02:17:04 pm »

Quick update: I had to delay the release of v4.0 while working through the last few bugs. Hope to have it out in a few days!

-L

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #348 on: January 19, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »

Feature Requests/Ideas:
1. Access to local libraries/files located on the device, then we can do away with our droid players (player pro, music app, etc) Upon opening eos, instead of it auto connecting it could ask to load/play local files, or connect to library. Then in settings one could have the option as well to switch from libraries to local files.

2. YouTube subscriptions/channel access

3. Our family uses shuffle more often then anything else, would it be possible once listening to a shuffled genre, to press and hold on a currently playing artist from the shuffle, and chose to play all 5 stars of this artist, Play all from this artist, Play all albums from this artist?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #349 on: January 20, 2015, 11:32:24 pm »

Feature Requests/Ideas:
1. Access to local libraries/files located on the device, then we can do away with our droid players (player pro, music app, etc) Upon opening eos, instead of it auto connecting it could ask to load/play local files, or connect to library. Then in settings one could have the option as well to switch from libraries to local files.

2. YouTube subscriptions/channel access

3. Our family uses shuffle more often then anything else, would it be possible once listening to a shuffled genre, to press and hold on a currently playing artist from the shuffle, and chose to play all 5 stars of this artist, Play all from this artist, Play all albums from this artist?

Funny that you mention #1: I did exactly this in the BB10 version of eos. I didn't like BB10's native Music app, and there weren't any alternatives. It was a huge undertaking, though, and I don't think it was a feature that anyone but me ever really cared about. Given the vast number of quality media players out there for Android, I don't feel compelled to implement this. Especially since most of those media players support things that a normal media player would that eos doesn't, such as EQ and tracking recently played tracks.

I don't have Youtube integration configured in JRiver, so I'm not quite sure what you're looking for with #2. Are you referring to subscriptions that are set up in JRiver? If so, I don't see any web services that are available to pull this kind of information from the server, or interact with Youtube (or any 3rd party provider, for that matter) in any way. If this isn't what you're referring to, then no - I have no plans to have eos interface directly with Youtube. It's a remote app for JRiver, and Youtube already has an app.

It is currently possible to long press on an artist's name from the Playing Now page to be taken to a list of all of that artist's tracks. From there you could add all of those tracks to the Now Playing list, and perform a shuffle remaining on the playlist. There's no easy way to do something custom, like get a list of all 5 stars from an artist.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up