INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!  (Read 231583 times)

jmhsb

• Recent member
Re: eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2015, 10:23:19 am »

I haven't changed any of the logic for device playback in a few weeks, so I would wager that it was the JRiver update that fixed your failing FLAC playback. I'm sorry to hear that there's still such a huge gap between sequential files - that certainly isn't acceptable. I'm not even sure what could be causing this. eos starts buffering the next track as soon as the current one begins playback. This is supposed to ensure that the two tracks playback gaplessly. You're the first person that has told me that this isn't working as expected, and I can't reproduce it on my end.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your setup? I run MC on both my HTPC and my (development) laptop.

It sounds like your problem is somehow related to bandwidth. I can't think of any reason why it would take ~90s for playback to start in any scenario. Does playback skip, or pause to buffer once started?

On your MC instance, click on "Services & Plug-ins" on the left, then "Media Network". Then, in the "Server" dropdown, click the option that's "{Name_of_Server} (Library Server)" (where {Name_of_Server} is the computer's name). This should filter the Activity log at the bottom so it's more manageable, and will show you all of the requests that your server is responding to from eos (or any other remotes). Then try playing back a FLAC file, and you'll see at least one GetFile call. Try typing the same URL into your device's browser, and see if you still experience the same delay trying to start playback.

So I'm back to the error message ~90% of the time.  Occasionally it will play after a long (30s+) buffering status.  My set up is running the MC Server on a Win 7 PC w/ i7, 16GB RAM, and internal 1TB storage (2x 500GB HDDs in RAID 0).  I have a variety of Clients and Devices, but for testing, I have limited everything to just the server running and trying to get do not convert audio to work on an LG G2 running Android 4.4.2.  I am connecting via WiFi on the local network and sitting right next to the router.  As I mentioned, I can speed test 50Mbps up and down on my phone.  Bandwidth is not the issue.  I can stream 2hr 1080p 5.1 movies (down converted to 720p) on my phone without a blip. 

When I paste the GetFile URL into by my browser, it immediately pops up with the Android message asking how I want to handle the file.  If I select use Firefox (my Android browser), it downloads the GetFile file instantly.  If I select to play it in Kodi, it pauses for a couple seconds to switch to the Kodi app, but then plays pretty much right away. 

(Side note to JRiver --  Would it be possible to get cut/paste functionality out of that Service&Plug-Ins/Media Network area?  Re-typing those URLs is brutal.)

Is it always the same image that doesn't load? Does it get stuck with the loading icon, or does it eventually load, or timeout and show the failure image? What if you have a list of around 10 images? Do other items past 4-5 still load?

If it's always the same image, you can try looking for the GetFile URL in the Media Network log I mentioned above, and try hitting the URL from the browser on your server. That'll tell you if it's a transcoding issue specific to that image.

In my re-testing, I could not get any images to not load anymore.  Before it would hang on the loading icon for a while, and then switch to a triangled exclamation point icon when it couldn't load.  It still hangs every once and a while, but will now load after 2-3 seconds.  This is converting raw images to 1920x1080, and scrolling through rapidly, so I can understand the pause.  I do think building a cache of the next 10-images as you view them would eliminate any pause what so ever though. 

Thank you again for the work you have done on improving images.  This is the functionality I had been hoping for in Gizmo forever.

It is currently possible to long press on an artist's name from the Playing Now page to be taken to a list of all of that artist's tracks. From there you could add all of those tracks to the Now Playing list, and perform a shuffle remaining on the playlist.

This is great.  I didn't realize this functionality before.  I did notice a couple issues though and one suggestion.
1. It does not like artist field lists (semi-colon separated in MC).  It always returns  "no results to display" even if there are other tracks with the exact same artists.  Ideally, I would like it to display all the tracks by all the artists in the list.  Interestingly, I tried the same action in Theater View because I thought it used to do it correctly, and it does nothing now either.  I guess they changed it when people complained about clicking on the actor field list.  That's a shame. 
2. When you long press on the album name (or cover art for that matter), it appears to search for Album - Artist instead of Album - Album Artist (Auto) because on compilation albums, it only brings up the tracks on the album by that particular artist.  So obviously, when the artist is a list, it gives you the "no results to display" message again.  It would be nice to bring up tracks from the entire album, and this would solve the second part as well.
3.  My suggestion:  Would it be possible to add the same functionality to the track name field? So that it brought up all the tracks with the same name and artist when you have multiple versions of the same song?

Which brings me back to:
Tap actions? Not sure what you mean by that. Currently, long pressing on that cover art will perform a search for that album.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.  Since you can already long press on the album title, could we change long pressing on the album art and add more tap/swipe actions to the cover art in playing now?

For example:
Tap = Pause
Long Press = Stop
Swipe left = previous track
Swipe right = next track
Two finger left = rewind
Two finger right = fast forward
Swipe up = volume up
Swipe down = volume down
Two finger up = increase brightness
Two finger down = dim

Obviously, in portrait, this would change how swipe right goes to playlists, but there are buttons for that already.  It would be nice to use tap/swipe actions for the more frequent tasks. 

And one more tiny request -- I mix up the > and + symbols often.  Would it be possible to change the confirmation message for added as next to play to "Added Next!"?  Currently, they both say "Added!" and I'm not always sure if I added it to the queue correctly.

Excellent work on the video seeking by the way.  It's working great. 

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:18 pm »

So I'm back to the error message ~90% of the time.  Occasionally it will play after a long (30s+) buffering status. 
You say "back to" - does that mean that playback worked normally for a while? Or do you mean that playback just isn't starting anymore?

Your system considerably more powerful than my HTPC and you said you have plenty of bandwidth, so I can't see either of those being the issue. I guess I'll have to probe a bit more:

• How big is the playlist that you're attempting to start playing? If you select two tracks and try playing only those tracks, is the result the same?
  • When you see the GetFile request come in the Media Network logs, how quickly does it say it's transferring data?
  • Are they any other requests that are going on at the same time? How much data are they transferring?

1. It does not like artist field lists (semi-colon separated in MC).  It always returns  "no results to display" even if there are other tracks with the exact same artists.  Ideally, I would like it to display all the tracks by all the artists in the list.  Interestingly, I tried the same action in Theater View because I thought it used to do it correctly, and it does nothing now either.  I guess they changed it when people complained about clicking on the actor field list.  That's a shame. 
2. When you long press on the album name (or cover art for that matter), it appears to search for Album - Artist instead of Album - Album Artist (Auto) because on compilation albums, it only brings up the tracks on the album by that particular artist.  So obviously, when the artist is a list, it gives you the "no results to display" message again.  It would be nice to bring up tracks from the entire album, and this would solve the second part as well.
3.  My suggestion:  Would it be possible to add the same functionality to the track name field? So that it brought up all the tracks with the same name and artist when you have multiple versions of the same song?

1. Those long press actions just take the text that's in the field and perform a search. As you've discovered, it doesn't really work in multiple artist cases. I don't want to start doing string manipulation on these strings, since it will require making a lot of assumptions. It would be nice if this data came back separately so I could use it.

2. You're right - eos doesn't search [Album Artist (Auto)] on these presses, it's searching [Artist]. That's the name of the field that comes back in the Playing Now response, so I assumed that's the DB field that the data is coming from. Is this configurable somewhere in MC? I can change it to [Album Artist (Auto)] - I don't think that would negatively impact the results for other searches.

3. It should be possible to add the track name search you're looking for to the long press of the track name field.

Since you can already long press on the album title, could we change long pressing on the album art and add more tap/swipe actions to the cover art in playing now?

For example:
Tap = Pause
Long Press = Stop
Swipe left = previous track
Swipe right = next track
Two finger left = rewind
Two finger right = fast forward
Swipe up = volume up
Swipe down = volume down
Two finger up = increase brightness
Two finger down = dim

Obviously, in portrait, this would change how swipe right goes to playlists, but there are buttons for that already.  It would be nice to use tap/swipe actions for the more frequent tasks. 

I don't really like the idea of swipe gestures. I'm OK with changing some of the tap gestures, but I primarily use eos on my phone in portrait mode. The screen was designed to allow easy swiping between Playing Now and the Playlist, and creating these touch gestures will interfere with that behavior. Most of the functionality that you're looking for from these gestures are already available from buttons on the screen, and volume can be controlled by using the device's hardware buttons. Having gestures for fast forward and rewind sounds awkward to me, and unnecessary since the seek bar is just below the cover art.

I ensured Previous, Play/Pause and Next would always be available in the action bar, but Stop's availability is dependent on screen size. Double tap for Stop would be convenient, and I could add single tap for Play/Pause.

And one more tiny request -- I mix up the > and + symbols often.  Would it be possible to change the confirmation message for added as next to play to "Added Next!"?  Currently, they both say "Added!" and I'm not always sure if I added it to the queue correctly.

Yep, I can change this.
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!
Android: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89392.0
BB10: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79677.0

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:19 pm »

Hey everyone!

I just pushed v4.0.9 of eos to Production! This is the biggest update to eos yet. From the Google Play change log:

Chromecast support! The Cast action item will appear on the main page or the Zones page when a Cast device is detected on your WiFi network

Material design theme! Choose between Blue & Orange, Black & Red, or Grey & Green from the Settings page

Improved navigation! The navigation drawer items now expand to list child items. The dropdown for these items has been removed

More UI improvements: show toast when volume changed by a button press; show cover art behind file lists

I want to give a special shout out to my Alpha testers. This release was a huge undertaking that required a lot of changes, and they were instrumental not just in helping me find and work through issues, but in providing suggestions and ideas to make this the best release of eos yet. So thank you magnust, MGD_King, Stormen and xtacbyme!

Cheers!

-L
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #353 on: January 23, 2015, 04:48:05 pm »

Hey everyone!

I just pushed v4.0.9 of eos to Production! This is the biggest update to eos yet. From the Google Play change log:

I want to give a special shout out to my Alpha testers. This release was a huge undertaking that required a lot of changes, and they were instrumental not just in helping me find and work through issues, but in providing suggestions and ideas to make this the best release of eos yet. So thank you magnust, MGD_King, Stormen and xtacbyme!

Cheers!

-L

Thanks again for implementing chrome cast. The new colors are brilliant.
Regarding my earlier issues with movies stopping in the middle of nowhere, so far so good. I watched Downton Abbey via the new cast feature. I got no problems. I will do more movie watching this week end.
Also, tweaking the resolution was good. Picture looks brighter on the big screen.

Again, I thank you.

George.

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #354 on: January 24, 2015, 11:59:28 am »

Chromecast support is great and works really well on first try!

But how can I control volume? There is no Chromecast zone, and it does not respond to the mobile's volume.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
Re:
« Reply #355 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:39 pm »

But how can I control volume? There is no Chromecast zone, and it does not respond to the mobile's volume.

If you tap on the Chromecast icon after it's connected, you'll see the volume slider.

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #356 on: January 28, 2015, 10:04:12 am »

I just bought this - what a tremendous improvement over Gizmo! And I really appreciate your responsiveness to requests. Here's my wish-list, I don't know if these are in your control or the nice folks at MC have to do something for these:

Note I'm running the latest MC in Windows 7 and using a Samsung Galaxy S4 to run eos.

- I'd love to be able to view the "Last Played" column when looking at my library.
- I see the quick link to eos in the pulldown shade, but how about adding player controls right in the shade?
- It'd be great to have Total Time & Time Remaining for a playlist.
- How about a Clear Playlist option?
- Lastly, I'd like to be able to copy a playlist from one zone to another, this would give us a real Sonos-like ability to start a playlist in one zone and continue it in another.

I saw one bug - a strange screen redraw bug when browsing my library sometimes pops up, i.e. I browse my library with no issues, go to playing now, then back to my library and there's a background image of the library behind the current image as I scroll. Not sure if that's clear.

Thanks again!

jmhsb

• Recent member
« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:38 pm »

You say "back to" - does that mean that playback worked normally for a while? Or do you mean that playback just isn't starting anymore?

• How big is the playlist that you're attempting to start playing? If you select two tracks and try playing only those tracks, is the result the same?
  • When you see the GetFile request come in the Media Network logs, how quickly does it say it's transferring data?
  • Are they any other requests that are going on at the same time? How much data are they transferring?

It has never worked right.  It either times out with the media server error or it hangs on buffering for up to 1:30 before playing.  

I had been trying with just playing a song out of an album, so the playlist would be 10-12 tracks (typical album size).  Based on your question, I tried just adding one or two tracks at a time which gave me better results, but still buffering of at least 30-seconds.

The initial GetFile request comes across immediately and shows a time of 0:00.1 to 0:00.3.  After that, I get 7-8 GetFile requests of ~192kb over the course of about 30-seconds.  Each one shows a quick time of ~0:00.1.  Then after ~30-seconds, playback starts and shows the more substantial chunk of the file, ~15MB, with a time of 0:03 to 0:04.  

There are no other requests at the same time.  When I am testing for you, I am limiting it to just me trying to play the tracks.  I shut down all the other clients and make sure no other devices are connected.  I am the only one on the network, and I am doing nothing else on the network.  Tracks are standard pop/rock tracks so ~30MB in size.  

Interestingly, I just side loaded the new version of EOS onto my Amazon FireTV Stick (more on that later).  I set it up to conversion off, and it is playing everything just fine.  This makes me believe either the hardware or the particular android build of my phone does not like the way it is getting FLAC information.  That FLAC is not a good format for streaming because of its poor transport system.  My guess is you would be wasting your time trying to troubleshoot this.  A better alternative would be to have MC offer conversion off streaming within an Ogg shell.  Ideally, I would like a transcoded Ogg 16/44.1 option so that all files (including hi-res tracks) could stream at a minimum Redbook quality.

1. Those long press actions just take the text that's in the field and perform a search. As you've discovered, it doesn't really work in multiple artist cases. I don't want to start doing string manipulation on these strings, since it will require making a lot of assumptions. It would be nice if this data came back separately so I could use it.

2. You're right - eos doesn't search [Album Artist (Auto)] on these presses, it's searching [Artist]. That's the name of the field that comes back in the Playing Now response, so I assumed that's the DB field that the data is coming from. Is this configurable somewhere in MC? I can change it to [Album Artist (Auto)] - I don't think that would negatively impact the results for other searches.

3. It should be possible to add the track name search you're looking for to the long press of the track name field.

1. Perhaps you could see how Hendrik fixed this in Theater View?  There was a recent change where it is working perfectly for the Artists field now (unfortunately, it still doesn't work for the Actor field).  

2&3.  Thank you for looking into the changes.

I don't really like the idea of swipe gestures. I'm OK with changing some of the tap gestures, but I primarily use eos on my phone in portrait mode. The screen was designed to allow easy swiping between Playing Now and the Playlist, and creating these touch gestures will interfere with that behavior. Most of the functionality that you're looking for from these gestures are already available from buttons on the screen, and volume can be controlled by using the device's hardware buttons. Having gestures for fast forward and rewind sounds awkward to me, and unnecessary since the seek bar is just below the cover art.

I ensured Previous, Play/Pause and Next would always be available in the action bar, but Stop's availability is dependent on screen size. Double tap for Stop would be convenient, and I could add single tap for Play/Pause.

I guess everyone has there different use cases, and it is your app so the lay out that works best for you is what it is.  For me, if I'm in portrait mode, it's because I am driving.  I rarely go back to the playlist then.  I just want quick actions that I can do without even really looking at the phone.  Tapping and swiping on the big cover art would allow me to do that without having to locate any button.  

Yep, I can change this.

Thank you.

Regarding the new UI.  I definitely prefer it on my phone--it makes for easier navigation.  Unfortunately, it now makes EOS sideloaded on my Amazon FireTV Stick unusable without a mouse.  The remote can no longer scroll down the navigation drawer.  This is a problem on a lot of sideloaded apps.  Some work (old EOS, ES File Explorer) and some don't (new EOS, new BubbleUPnP).  I'm not sure what changes or if it can be fixed.  If it can't be fixed, would it be possible to get an .apk of the last changes before the new UI?  I no longer have one.  

- I see the quick link to eos in the pulldown shade, but how about adding player controls right in the shade?
- Lastly, I'd like to be able to copy a playlist from one zone to another, this would give us a real Sonos-like ability to start a playlist in one zone and continue it in another.

I'm assuming by pulldown shade, you mean the notification bar.  I really hope that we can keep player controls out of the notification bar--it gets crowded enough for me as it is.  If you want to add player controls to the notification bar, you can do so easily with apps like Power Toggles which adds them neatly with less congestion.

You can sort of do this now, although it is not so seamless as a switch zone button.
1. Start playback in Zone 1.
2. Go into Zones and Link Zone 1 and Zone 2 (playback in both Zones will now be the same).
3. Unlink the Zones (playback will continue in both Zones).
4. Go to your playing now screen, and stop playback in Zone 1 (playback in Zone 2 will continue).
5. Go back to Zones and switch over to Zone 2 so you can now control playback.  

I've only tested this within MC.  Not sure how it would work with DLNA devices.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2015, 01:31:57 am »

It has never worked right.  It either times out with the media server error or it hangs on buffering for up to 1:30 before playing.  

I had been trying with just playing a song out of an album, so the playlist would be 10-12 tracks (typical album size).  Based on your question, I tried just adding one or two tracks at a time which gave me better results, but still buffering of at least 30-seconds.

The initial GetFile request comes across immediately and shows a time of 0:00.1 to 0:00.3.  After that, I get 7-8 GetFile requests of ~192kb over the course of about 30-seconds.  Each one shows a quick time of ~0:00.1.  Then after ~30-seconds, playback starts and shows the more substantial chunk of the file, ~15MB, with a time of 0:03 to 0:04.  

There are no other requests at the same time.  When I am testing for you, I am limiting it to just me trying to play the tracks.  I shut down all the other clients and make sure no other devices are connected.  I am the only one on the network, and I am doing nothing else on the network.  Tracks are standard pop/rock tracks so ~30MB in size.  

Interestingly, I just side loaded the new version of EOS onto my Amazon FireTV Stick (more on that later).  I set it up to conversion off, and it is playing everything just fine.  This makes me believe either the hardware or the particular android build of my phone does not like the way it is getting FLAC information.  That FLAC is not a good format for streaming because of its poor transport system.  My guess is you would be wasting your time trying to troubleshoot this.  A better alternative would be to have MC offer conversion off streaming within an Ogg shell.  Ideally, I would like a transcoded Ogg 16/44.1 option so that all files (including hi-res tracks) could stream at a minimum Redbook quality.

This is unfortunate, but it does sound like it's somehow related to a customization that LG has made to the build of Android they're shipping, since yours is the only device that has exhibited this behavior. Are the 7-8 GetFile requests that you're seeing all for the same File Key? (Check the URL for File={number}, and see if {number} is the same.)

1. Perhaps you could see how Hendrik fixed this in Theater View?  There was a recent change where it is working perfectly for the Artists field now (unfortunately, it still doesn't work for the Actor field).  

2&3.  Thank you for looking into the changes.

I'm not sure if the fix for Theater View would be applicable to remote applications. I don't know how MC is written, but I wouldn't assume that the MCWS interface that remote applications hit run through the same code paths as something like Theater View, which is built into the core of MC.

I don't have any tracks in my library with multiple artists, but I would like to play around with this. If I wanted to test, would I just need to edit the Artist field for an album and add some additional names? Can you provide me some examples and/or steps to create this?

While I was making other changes to the Playing Now page, I recalled that the Track Name field will automatically marquee when the text is too long to fit onscreen. Due to the way that this marquee needs to be implemented on Android, this might prevent me from supporting the same long-press-to-search behavior that exists on the other fields. I won't know for sure until I try implementing it, but I wanted to make you aware of this.

I guess everyone has there different use cases, and it is your app so the lay out that works best for you is what it is.  For me, if I'm in portrait mode, it's because I am driving.  I rarely go back to the playlist then.  I just want quick actions that I can do without even really looking at the phone.  Tapping and swiping on the big cover art would allow me to do that without having to locate any button.  

The next release of eos (v4.1) will include an updated Playing Now page. I've moved the playback controls from the action bar at the top of the screen. They're now larger, and in a more accessible location underneath the cover art. I know this will still require you to locate the buttons, but I hope it will make that task easier!

Regarding the new UI.  I definitely prefer it on my phone--it makes for easier navigation.  Unfortunately, it now makes EOS sideloaded on my Amazon FireTV Stick unusable without a mouse.  The remote can no longer scroll down the navigation drawer.  This is a problem on a lot of sideloaded apps.  Some work (old EOS, ES File Explorer) and some don't (new EOS, new BubbleUPnP).  I'm not sure what changes or if it can be fixed.  If it can't be fixed, would it be possible to get an .apk of the last changes before the new UI?  I no longer have one.

I've fixed TV navigation. As I mentioned I don't have a TV to test with, but I fired up an Android emulator with D-Pad navigation enabled. It turns out that navigation was working, but it was difficult to tell what item was currently selected: there was no highlight color specified for use when the item was in a "focused" state.

I'm very glad to hear that you like the new navigation!

I'm assuming by pulldown shade, you mean the notification bar.  I really hope that we can keep player controls out of the notification bar--it gets crowded enough for me as it is.  If you want to add player controls to the notification bar, you can do so easily with apps like Power Toggles which adds them neatly with less congestion.

You can sort of do this now, although it is not so seamless as a switch zone button.
1. Start playback in Zone 1.
2. Go into Zones and Link Zone 1 and Zone 2 (playback in both Zones will now be the same).
3. Unlink the Zones (playback will continue in both Zones).
4. Go to your playing now screen, and stop playback in Zone 1 (playback in Zone 2 will continue).
5. Go back to Zones and switch over to Zone 2 so you can now control playback.  

I've only tested this within MC.  Not sure how it would work with DLNA devices.

Thanks for fielding these questions for me! I've never heard of Power Toggles, but I'll have to remember to suggest that next time someone requests playback controls in the notification. I have to admit that the reason I didn't implement this originally was because I was new to Android, and wasn't sure how. As time has passed I've grown more familiar with the platform, but I've also been exposed to more applications on the platform. I have to say that I agree with you - I would almost consider the Notifications bar overused. Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil, because posting a notification is the only way you can ensure that the platform won't kill your background process. At least keeping it minimal (i.e. - buttonless) reduces its impact on the list.

As for a "switch zones" button, that isn't a simple function to implement. I think the workaround you've posted is the best way of doing this.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #359 on: January 29, 2015, 01:48:40 am »

- I'd love to be able to view the "Last Played" column when looking at my library.
- It'd be great to have Total Time & Time Remaining for a playlist.
- How about a Clear Playlist option?

I saw one bug - a strange screen redraw bug when browsing my library sometimes pops up, i.e. I browse my library with no issues, go to playing now, then back to my library and there's a background image of the library behind the current image as I scroll. Not sure if that's clear.

Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear that you're enjoying eos. I'll tackle your wishlist in order:

-You can access the "Recently Played" smartlist from the "Playlists" section in eos. Is this what you're referring to when you mention "Last Played"?
-jmhsb mentioned this in his post, and I agreed - the Notification bar already gets too cluttered, and having playback controls there will only add to this clutter
-There is already a "Total Time" that appears at the end of every file list. However, this is not the case for the Playlist view on the Playing Now page. This wasn't an oversight, it's due to the way that the Playing Now playlist is stored on the device: it's considerably more difficult to compute those numbers on that page because of this.
-I didn't find a need to implement a "Clear Playlist" option. The playlist can be cleared very easily by selecting a new item and pressing Play. This will replace the existing playlist with the new item(s).
-jmhsb also touched on this point in his post. This is something that should be implemented by MC before it can be supported by remote applications. While it is technically possible for a remote app to do - e.g. - using the workaround that jmhsb suggested, or by making individual requests to construct the new playlist based on the existing - these solutions seem very hacky.

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2015, 06:24:39 am »

Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear that you're enjoying eos. I'll tackle your wishlist in order:

-You can access the "Recently Played" smartlist from the "Playlists" section in eos. Is this what you're referring to when you mention "Last Played"?
-jmhsb mentioned this in his post, and I agreed - the Notification bar already gets too cluttered, and having playback controls there will only add to this clutter
-There is already a "Total Time" that appears at the end of every file list. However, this is not the case for the Playlist view on the Playing Now page. This wasn't an oversight, it's due to the way that the Playing Now playlist is stored on the device: it's considerably more difficult to compute those numbers on that page because of this.
-I didn't find a need to implement a "Clear Playlist" option. The playlist can be cleared very easily by selecting a new item and pressing Play. This will replace the existing playlist with the new item(s).
-jmhsb also touched on this point in his post. This is something that should be implemented by MC before it can be supported by remote applications. While it is technically possible for a remote app to do - e.g. - using the workaround that jmhsb suggested, or by making individual requests to construct the new playlist based on the existing - these solutions seem very hacky.

Thanks for the quick response!

Re: Recently Played - I mean the play stat field in MC that gives you the date of last played. Yes, I have a smartlist that puts together random unplayed tracks but sometimes I want to pick something less random, i.e. an album from a favorite artist I haven't played ever or in a few years.

Re: Controls in the Notification Bar - I disagree, for example Spotify has very useful controls there.

Re: Clear Playlist - I asked for this because my Sonos speaker acts funny if I don't clear the playlist when I'm done using it with MC. The Sonos app will launch when I close eos and I can't stop playback. Similarly when I play to my Samsung TV. Both DLNA devices, so I guess that's the issue there.

Re: Zone switching - I understand the challenge, it certainly seems like a feature the MC team should consider.

I appreciate your consideration, it's a good developer that is so in touch with their users!

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2015, 04:10:09 pm »

eos v4.1.1 has just been pushed to production! This build features an updated Playing Now page. The playback controls have been moved from the action bar, and are now located underneath the cover art. The controls also have new icons.

@jmhsb: this build also fixes the issue re: navigation on your Android TV

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #362 on: January 29, 2015, 04:20:07 pm »

Re: Recently Played - I mean the play stat field in MC that gives you the date of last played. Yes, I have a smartlist that puts together random unplayed tracks but sometimes I want to pick something less random, i.e. an album from a favorite artist I haven't played ever or in a few years.

You might be better off creating additional smartlists in JRiver for this. The only place that the "Last Played" field is available to eos is when viewing lists of files, and the only place you can see it in eos is by looking at the File Info for a particular track. If you created smartlists with various criteria, you'd be able to choose from among them in the Playlists page. I'd imagine it's possible to create a smartlist that would choose a single random album from your library that is above a given average rating and hasn't been played in a given period of time. But I'm not a JRiver query guru! :P

Re: Clear Playlist - I asked for this because my Sonos speaker acts funny if I don't clear the playlist when I'm done using it with MC. The Sonos app will launch when I close eos and I can't stop playback. Similarly when I play to my Samsung TV. Both DLNA devices, so I guess that's the issue there.

Indeed, this does sound like a DLNA issue. So if you stop playback from eos, your Sonos app automatically launches?

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #363 on: January 29, 2015, 06:40:01 pm »

Ah, you just pointed out a simple work-around for at least part of my request: it's easy enough to look at a few of an album tracks and check File Info to see if it's been played at all. However, right now the 'Last Played' field displays as a numeric - any chance you could make it a date?

Yes, the Sonos app on my S4 seems to think it needs to take over if I don't clear the playlist. It's worse on the Samsung TV - it'll keep looping through the playlist if I don't go to my server and manually clear it.

Ekpen

« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2015, 01:04:07 pm »

eos v4.1.1 has just been pushed to production! This build features an updated Playing Now page. The playback controls have been moved from the action bar, and are now located underneath the cover art. The controls also have new icons.

@jmhsb: this build also fixes the issue re: navigation on your Android TV

Greetings:

The controls are very elegant. It seems to vanish so quickly within the opening screen. Anyway to  double the time in (seconds) so that it stays on the screen longer? How about "next movie/episode" or "album"? (just one more button).

With this release, I noticed cover art info for audio is disabled or removed. Is this by design? I love to view tracks and artist data.

On the topic of user control for each user, we have the user account settings on the server. Any way for additional user logging with Password on the main screen. ? This is only done once for every new user. The default logging where you put in your Access key or IP address can be used for Server log in information, but for one to actually log in as individual would require one more step. I still see my playlist still displays to another user.

Thanks again for the never ending updates.

George

Laozi

• Recent member
« Reply #365 on: January 31, 2015, 07:09:21 am »

Great app, really!

but there's one thing missing: browsing your library through your disks (just like You did with images; you can browse your images on every disk, through the letters of your disks, e.g. D, E, and so on). If I could do the same thing with music, it would be awesome!

thanks!

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »

Ah, you just pointed out a simple work-around for at least part of my request: it's easy enough to look at a few of an album tracks and check File Info to see if it's been played at all. However, right now the 'Last Played' field displays as a numeric - any chance you could make it a date?

Yes, the Sonos app on my S4 seems to think it needs to take over if I don't clear the playlist. It's worse on the Samsung TV - it'll keep looping through the playlist if I don't go to my server and manually clear it.

Just so I'm sure I understand correctly: pressing the Stop button in eos is not enough to stop playback on your Sonos or Samsung TV, you also need to clear the playlist? If so, this sounds like an issue JRiver might want to investigate. MC should be in control of that playback.

The controls are very elegant. It seems to vanish so quickly within the opening screen. Anyway to  double the time in (seconds) so that it stays on the screen longer? How about "next movie/episode" or "album"? (just one more button).

With this release, I noticed cover art info for audio is disabled or removed. Is this by design? I love to view tracks and artist data.

On the topic of user control for each user, we have the user account settings on the server. Any way for additional user logging with Password on the main screen. ? This is only done once for every new user. The default logging where you put in your Access key or IP address can be used for Server log in information, but for one to actually log in as individual would require one more step. I still see my playlist still displays to another user.

Are you referring to the controls on the video playback screen when doing device playback? Those are the only controls on eos I can think of that disappear after a certain timeout. If that is what you're referring to, I think it is possible to increase that timeout.

As for "next episode" or "next album" buttons, where would you like to see those? The next/previous buttons on the video playback page do skip to the next and previous videos. As for "next album", there's no exposed service for an app to do this; your best bet is to swipe to the playlist page and tap the track you want to skip to.

There was no change to the cover art for audio in this release, except for showing the art in the background when viewing a list of files. Of course, file info is still available by long pressing on an item and choosing File Info from the action bar.

I think we've discussed this before in another thread, but JRiver's APIs have no notion of "users". The password that you configure in eos (or any other remote app) only grants access to the APIs.

but there's one thing missing: browsing your library through your disks (just like You did with images; you can browse your images on every disk, through the letters of your disks, e.g. D, E, and so on). If I could do the same thing with music, it would be awesome!

You'll need to define your own custom view if you want to browse by disks. All of the views that you see in eos are defined in MC. Go into MC's Options, open the Media Network tab, and expand the Advanced header. There you'll find "Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo", where you can add your own custom view for this. I have to admit I don't know how to do this, but you should be able to look at the existing Images section as a reference.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #367 on: January 31, 2015, 06:07:59 pm »

I just pushed v4.1.2 of eos to Google Play. From the release notes:

New in 4.1.2:
Further updates to Playing Now page:
-Use flat playback icons to adhere to Material design
-Moved rating stars above the position seekbar
-Removed Volume button, and made the Zones button available on the action bar instead

Fixed: date fields on the File Info page will now show a formatted date instead of a number

Laozi

• Recent member
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2015, 03:08:09 am »

You'll need to define your own custom view if you want to browse by disks. All of the views that you see in eos are defined in MC. Go into MC's Options, open the Media Network tab, and expand the Advanced header. There you'll find "Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo", where you can add your own custom view for this. I have to admit I don't know how to do this, but you should be able to look at the existing Images section as a reference.

Oh, I didn't know that...ok, I figured out that -  I know how to do that to browse your library as a folders view.

If someone is interested - I can help  :)

thanks and regards!

BPT40

• Recent member
« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2015, 03:48:01 pm »

Just downloaded Eos & have been using for about 1 hour. So far I am very impressed! Easier and works better than Gizmo or Bubbleup on my Nexus 7! One question I have, is it possible when navigating under Audio>Artist for the Artists to be shown in a list or details instead of album cover thumbnails? Thanks     :) Very Impressive app well worth the $4.99

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2015, 06:09:45 pm »

Just downloaded Eos & have been using for about 1 hour. So far I am very impressed! Easier and works better than Gizmo or Bubbleup on my Nexus 7! One question I have, is it possible when navigating under Audio>Artist for the Artists to be shown in a list or details instead of album cover thumbnails? Thanks     :) Very Impressive app well worth the $4.99

Glad to hear you like eos! Unfortunately, due to the way the app is architected it would not be easy to change from grid views to list views.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Lenny

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #371 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:05 pm »

Hey everyone!

I just pushed version 4.2.6 of eos to production. From the change notes I posted to Google Play:

New in 4.2.6:
Playing Now overlays can now be hidden. Configure auto-hide of overlays in Settings, and tap the cover art to toggle visibility

Playing Now's background changes based on palette of album art

Option to hide rating stars from file lists

Ability to add files to existing playlists

Ability to save a remote zone's Playing Now playlist as a MC playlist

File info action available from Playing Now

Numerous bug fixes, including Wake-on-LAN when using an access key

There are a few other changes that didn't make the 500 character limit, including:

• Adding tracks using "Add as Next" will show a toast that says "Added as next!" instead of "Added!"
  • Playing Now long presses now search [Album Artist (auto)] instead of [Artist], where appropriate
  • Long press on track title to search [Album Artist (auto)] + Track Name

As hinted at above, this version contains additional changes to the Playing Now page. You can now toggle the visibility of the overlays that appear on the cover art by tapping on the cover art. And there's a new option on the Settings page that will automatically hide these overlays after 5 seconds, if the current track is playing. When this option is enabled, the overlays will automatically show again after a refresh, when the current track changes, or when a change to the playback state has been detected. But the overlay will hide itself after 5 seconds if playback continues.

This new version allows you to add tracks to an existing MC playlist. Once you've drilled down to a list of files (e.g. - the list of tracks on an album), if you select any number of files you'll see a new option: "Add to Playlist". Pressing this option will show a dialog that allows you to choose an existing playlist to which the selected tracks should be added. The dialog will also allow you to create a new playlist for these tracks.

If you're controlling the playback of a remote zone, you'll also see a new option when looking at the Playlist tab on the Playing Now page. This new option is "Save Playlist", and it allows you to save the current Playing Now playlist as a named playlist inside MC.

Cheers!

-L

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #372 on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:31 pm »

Thanks for all the recent updates. I spent quite a a bit of time this weekend using eos and enjoyed the revamped look with the controls on the bottom of the screen.

Trumpetguy

Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #373 on: February 09, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »

If you tap on the Chromecast icon after it's connected, you'll see the volume slider.

Hmmm....not very intuitive in my opinion. I didn't remember your answer today, and for the life of me I wasn't able to find any way to control volume after starting a movie for the kids. And - CS always seems to have 100% volume as a non-configurable default. That was a loud few seconds.

The chromecast icon is not readily available during playback either, making it even more awkward.

Two things that would improve things tremendously:
1. Always have a visible volume symbol or slider when using cs.
2. Make use of the mobile's volume knob. That is how some other apps do it when playing media through Chromecast.

Edit: but it does work just fine once you learn how to!

Ekpen

« Reply #374 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:05 pm »

I just pushed v4.1.2 of eos to Google Play. From the release notes:

File info action now moved - available from Playing Now.

This is very good. It is better than having to press the cover arts to get File info for audio. I like it this way. Also the file info for Video should remain as is.

My wife does enjoy using EOS . She speaks about it every day. She wants me to thank you. <grin>
I do not know if this is EOS issue or not, still noticing abrupt stopping of movies and  jumping to the next movies.
At time, movies stops, we have to restart the movie. This occurs using  chrome cast also. It could be cause by unstable Wifi.

I noticed EOS does not display "season" and Episode # when watching  tv series.
Though I am not a user of Nmedium, if you look at the Nmedium advertisement  , I see season # and episode # get displayed  on the screen under the controls or transport buttons.
Can we have this for EOS?

Note also: The control buttons you have before look better. What happened to those buttons?

Thanks.

George
George

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2015, 06:24:49 pm »

Two things that would improve things tremendously:
1. Always have a visible volume symbol or slider when using cs.
2. Make use of the mobile's volume knob. That is how some other apps do it when playing media through Chromecast.

I've implemented #2. In the next release you'll be able to use the device's volume buttons to control the Chromecast volume. This will work in the same locations that you can currently use them to control remote zone's volumes (i.e. - Playing Now and Theater Remote). On all other pages (except Settings) the Chromecast button is available, so you can use that to change the volume.

My wife does enjoy using EOS . She speaks about it every day. She wants me to thank you. <grin>

Glad to hear it! Always nice hearing from satisfied customers :)

I do not know if this is EOS issue or not, still noticing abrupt stopping of movies and  jumping to the next movies.
At time, movies stops, we have to restart the movie. This occurs using  chrome cast also. It could be cause by unstable Wifi.

If videos are also stopping for Chromecast, it sounds like some sort of network issue. You've already outlined your system specs - it shouldn't have any trouble transcoding videos quickly enough for playback. To cast media, an app sends the URL for the media to the Chromecast, and the Chromecast creates its own connection to stream the video. So if your Chromecast is experiencing the same video playback problem as eos, it's likely a network issue.

I noticed EOS does not display "season" and Episode # when watching  tv series.
Though I am not a user of Nmedium, if you look at the Nmedium advertisement  , I see season # and episode # get displayed  on the screen under the controls or transport buttons.
Can we have this for EOS?

Not easily, I'm afraid. This information really needs to be added to the Playing Now response from Media Center. This is similar to the request to have Composer information available on Playing Now, for all you Classical music fans.

Note also: The control buttons you have before look better. What happened to those buttons?

Are you referring to the old rounded playback control icons [Play, Pause, Next, etc]? I think the square icons fit better with the Material design style, so I changed them.

Ekpen

« Reply #376 on: February 10, 2015, 07:02:40 pm »

I've implemented #2. In the next release you'll be able to use the device's volume buttons to control the Chromecast volume. This will work in the same locations that you can currently use them to control remote zone's volumes (i.e. - Playing Now and Theater Remote). On all other pages (except Settings) the Chromecast button is available, so you can use that to change the volume.

Glad to hear it! Always nice hearing from satisfied customers :)

If videos are also stopping for Chromecast, it sounds like some sort of network issue. You've already outlined your system specs - it shouldn't have any trouble transcoding videos quickly enough for playback. To cast media, an app sends the URL for the media to the Chromecast, and the Chromecast creates its own connection to stream the video. So if your Chromecast is experiencing the same video playback problem as eos, it's likely a network issue.

Not easily, I'm afraid. This information really needs to be added to the Playing Now response from Media Center. This is similar to the request to have Composer information available on Playing Now, for all you Classical music fans.

Are you referring to the old rounded playback control icons [Play, Pause, Next, etc]? I think the square icons fit better with the Material design style, so I changed them.

Yes, old rounded buttons.
Regarding the seasons, episode displaying, I see this in nMedium remote. Go to the thread please , you will see for yourself. You do not have to be a user of nMedium. This display would be fine if it is located under the rating star.
Thinking of it again, even name or title of movie with maybe starring ... (name of main actor) currently playing would benefit from it also.

Take care,

George

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:20 pm »

Regarding the seasons, episode displaying, I see this in nMedium remote. Go to the thread please , you will see for yourself. You do not have to be a user of nMedium. This display would be fine if it is located under the rating star.
Thinking of it again, even name or title of movie with maybe starring ... (name of main actor) currently playing would benefit from it also.

Yup, I see it. If this information was available in the Playing Now page I'd place Season + Episode information where the Album name is displayed, and series name where the Artist is displayed. Unfortunately, it isn't returned in that response.

I'm still advocating that the information returned should be configurable in MC, so that if e.g. you want to see Composer information as well you can configure MC to return it.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:48 pm »

I've just released v4.3.3 of eos to Google Play! From the change notes:

New in 4.3.3:
Drop shadow on Playing Now cover art

Decreased footprint of Playing Now's bottom overlay

Updated Playing Now and grid gradients

Control Chromecast volume using hardware buttons

Switch order of Add and Add as Next context menu actions

Fixed bug where hidden overlay controls were still clickable

New Setting to disable background color changes

Cheers!

-L

Ekpen

« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2015, 10:20:50 pm »

Yup, I see it. If this information was available in the Playing Now page I'd place Season + Episode information where the Album name is displayed, and series name where the Artist is displayed. Unfortunately, it isn't returned in that response.

I'm still advocating that the information returned should be configurable in MC, so that if e.g. you want to see Composer information as well you can configure MC to return it.

The info may be available in tags of the movie or album. Simple example could be Season xx Episode xx right under rating stars. Image or cover arts could shrink a bit.

I rip using mkv, then tag each movie or album. There are fields where you can display certain info.

I just looked at the tag  I have: series description, series, season, episode and name.
Any of these fields could be used. In fact, It does display on my phone but it is on top, not so intuitive. In the case of movies, we use the name of movie or title, and name of actor.. starring john Wayne etc It is good to have information on screen about what is playing.

Thanks.

George
George
Remember, I am just thinking out loud.

stewart_pk

Volume control from main/first screen?
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2015, 10:07:53 pm »

Hi, I just started using eos and notice the volume control on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 from the main/first screen changes the phones ringer volume and not JRiver's. Gizmo does not do this.

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2015, 11:49:42 pm »

Using mobile's volume button during chromecast playback works fine. Thanks for your responsiveness!

Another happy customer :-)

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume control from main/first screen?
« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:43 am »

The info may be available in tags of the movie or album. Simple example could be Season xx Episode xx right under rating stars. Image or cover arts could shrink a bit.

Any of these fields could be used. In fact, It does display on my phone but it is on top, not so intuitive. In the case of movies, we use the name of movie or title, and name of actor.. starring john Wayne etc It is good to have information on screen about what is playing.

I understand what you're saying, George. What I'm saying is that the fields displayed on eos' Playing Now page come from a MC web service, which presently only returns "Artist", "Album", and "Name". These are the fields that eos displays in the labels at the top of the screen. As you've seen, two of these fields aren't very useful when playing anything other than music (and are even insufficient in certain cases, e.g. Classical music).

My suggestion is that these fields should be configurable in MC. That way, if you wanted to see Season/Episode or Actors on Playing Now for videos, you can configure MC to send that information and then eos can display it.

Hi, I just started using eos and notice the volume control on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 from the main/first screen changes the phones ringer volume and not JRiver's. Gizmo does not do this.

That's correct - the hardware buttons only change the remote volume from Playing Now and Theater Remote page in eos. eos is not Gizmo ;)

Using mobile's volume button during chromecast playback works fine. Thanks for your responsiveness!

Another happy customer :-)

Glad to hear it!

stewart_pk

« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2015, 07:52:47 pm »

That's correct - the hardware buttons only change the remote volume from Playing Now and Theater Remote page in eos. eos is not Gizmo ;)

Thanks for your response. I can't think of any reason why it can't be changed!

Ekpen

« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2015, 11:26:58 pm »

I understand what you're saying, George. What I'm saying is that the fields displayed on eos' Playing Now page come from a MC web service, which presently only returns "Artist", "Album", and "Name". These are the fields that eos displays in the labels at the top of the screen. As you've seen, two of these fields aren't very useful when playing anything other than music (and are even insufficient in certain cases, e.g. Classical music).

My suggestion is that these fields should be configurable in MC. That way, if you wanted to see Season/Episode or Actors on Playing Now for videos, you can configure MC to send that information and then eos can display it.

Glad to hear it!

Hi,
I already have these fields configured within the database part. When these fields are configured, you will see the fields in "tags". Just select a movie, then tags, field you added to the database will appear in tags. You just have to scroll down to see those fields.
George.

prg02

• Recent member
« Reply #385 on: February 14, 2015, 07:04:11 pm »

Hello, I have been using eos for some time but note I am having a problem.  When I stop a movie MC crashes.  I am using the las version of MC and this happens only with eos,  neither Gizmo nor JRemote present the same behavior,  any ideas?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #386 on: February 16, 2015, 07:51:11 pm »

Hello, I have been using eos for some time but note I am having a problem.  When I stop a movie MC crashes.  I am using the las version of MC and this happens only with eos,  neither Gizmo nor JRemote present the same behavior,  any ideas?

This is a new one; I've never heard of this happening. What version of MC are you running? Does it happen for every video? Does it also happen with music? When you say MC "crashes", does it actually show an error dialog? If so, what does it say?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2015, 08:29:30 pm »

When I stop a movie MC crashes.

This is a new one; I've never heard of this happening.

Strange - I just had this happen to me, for the first time. But I don't think it had anything to do with eos, since I wasn't even using it at the time. The video I was watching reached its end, and then MC crashed. When I restarted the app it upgraded to the latest version (.73), and I wasn't able to reproduce the crash.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #388 on: February 22, 2015, 04:06:01 pm »

I just published v4.4.3 to Google Play. From the change notes:

New in v4.4.3:
Playing now cover art now fades in and out
Improved: search results grid images should now load faster
Fix: search result grid's context menu not appearing
Fix: slow to start playback of large device playlists
Fix: search grid results that contained a forward slash (/) wouldn't work properly

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #389 on: February 23, 2015, 08:15:50 am »

How about tweaking the search function? It seems to search for an exact match but if I search for "birthday" I want songs that include the word not just exact titles.

I love how you're constantly improving eos, thanks!

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #390 on: February 23, 2015, 12:05:58 pm »

How about tweaking the search function? It seems to search for an exact match but if I search for "birthday" I want songs that include the word not just exact titles.

Hm, I can't duplicate this. If I search for "and" I get a bunch of results that have "and" somewhere in the middle, whether "and" is a standalone word or is part of another word ("black sANDy beaches"). I can even search for parts of words to find results: if I search "mnium" I still get "Omnium Gatherum". (Although this seems a bit inconsistent: if I search for "niu" or "nium" I don't get any results...)

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #391 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:34 pm »

I just tried it again and figured out my issue - I just needed to change the Limit to 'None'!  :P

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:06 pm »

Just a quick note to say that I've pushed v4.4.4 to Production. From the release notes:

New in v4.4.4:
Decreased duration of Playing Now cover art's fade animations
Widgets should continue to update when foreground app killed, and consume no CPU time otherwise
Error messages from the server will now be displayed when available
Fix: seeking in long videos, including negative time display
+A few other minor fixes

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »

Thanks for the latest update! EOS is so solid, I have to *try* to find things to improve, Here's some thoughts:

- I'd like a long press on the artist name in Now Playing to bring up the Albums view, not the long list of songs view.
- Check boxes for selecting multiple entries when editing a playlist would speed up deleting or moving blocks of tracks.
- Auto-bookmark ability to ensure EOS doesn't forget exactly where you are in a track or podcast in case of a disconnection or device shutdown.
- A reconnect to server option - sometimes EOS has a problem when I move from wifi to 4G.

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #394 on: March 04, 2015, 10:47:54 pm »

Thanks for the latest update! EOS is so solid, I have to *try* to find things to improve, Here's some thoughts:

- I'd like a long press on the artist name in Now Playing to bring up the Albums view, not the long list of songs view.
- Check boxes for selecting multiple entries when editing a playlist would speed up deleting or moving blocks of tracks.
- Auto-bookmark ability to ensure EOS doesn't forget exactly where you are in a track or podcast in case of a disconnection or device shutdown.
- A reconnect to server option - sometimes EOS has a problem when I move from wifi to 4G.

You know, you don't *have* to go looking for things that need improvement! :P

Responses to your points, in order:

- There's no way to bring up the Albums view instead of the list of songs from these searches. This is a limitation of MCWS
- The DragSortListView control that eos uses to provide drag-and-drop doesn't support multiple item selection
- I did something similar for the BB10 version of eos. I'll take a look and see if the same sort of bookmark functionality is possible on Android
- Reconnecting to a server (i.e. - switching to the external IP after leaving Wi-Fi) requires you to kill and relaunch the app. This is a known limitation, due to the way the app is written. I've made some changes recently that are a step towards handling this automatically, but there's still a great deal of work that would need to be done to fully support this

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #395 on: March 08, 2015, 11:02:23 am »

Hey all,

I just pushed v4.5.3 to production. Here are the change notes:

New in v4.5.3:
Added "Add To Playlist" as a Default File Click Action
Add To Playlist dialog remembers the previously chosen playlist (while the app is still active)
Application startup tasks are now handled by a short-lived service
Playing Now cover art long presses search Artist again (instead of Album Artist (auto))
Fixed a few rare crashes

I noticed a few crashes in my Google Play console, and this build includes fixes for them:
  • Theater Remote could crash in rare cases, if closed quickly
  • Playing Now was crashing for one user because of the new cover art drop shadow
  • Long-pressing a field on the Playing Now page to perform a search was causing a crash on certain devices
  • An out-of-memory exception occurred for one user while trying to parse a 147MB response. (That's 147MB of text!) The parser should now be more memory efficient - and I did notice that browsing appears to be a bit faster as a result - but I'm still not sure how the app will handle a response of that size.

Cheers!

-L

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #396 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:40 pm »

I just noticed that someone is experiencing crashes trying to start the latest version of eos (v4.5.3) on their LG G3. If this sounds like you, can you please send me a private message?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #397 on: March 08, 2015, 03:30:40 pm »

I just noticed that someone is experiencing crashes trying to start the latest version of eos (v4.5.3) on their LG G3. If this sounds like you, can you please send me a private message?
Never mind, I've found the source of this issue - the crash would occur if you didn't have any servers configured. I just pushed v4.5.4 with the fix, and it should be available soon.

Truly sorry for the inconvenience!

yogibee

• Recent member
« Reply #398 on: March 08, 2015, 04:08:04 pm »

First class service! Was starting to get withdrawl sumptoms and its only been 2 hours without eos ;) Really appreciate all the hard work! Oh before I forget, was wondering if its possible to get an icon to theater remote to make switching between playlist/playing now and theater remote a bit quicker?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #399 on: March 08, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »

First class service! Was starting to get withdrawl sumptoms and its only been 2 hours without eos ;) Really appreciate all the hard work! Oh before I forget, was wondering if its possible to get an icon to theater remote to make switching between playlist/playing now and theater remote a bit quicker?
Thanks for your understanding, and my apologies once again for causing this. I hope that you've been able to update to v4.5.4 to resolve the crashes!

It is possible to switch between Playing Now, Theater Remote, and Zones from any of these pages. The icons might not always be visible, but if you expand the action overflow (the three vertical dots at the right end of the action bar) you'll find the options there.

Cheers!

-L
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up