INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Must I change daemon.conf alternate rate for every file rate change?  (Read 1500 times)

newbluesman

• Recent member

I'm doing well with MC for Linux on my Ubuntu Studio (14.04LTS) machine, and I can play any rate file through my 24/192 DAC (up to 192, of course) with the correct rate indicated on the display and sound quality seemingly confirming that it's correct.  But I have to edit the pulse/daemon.conf file "alternate rate" line to the desired sampling frequency for each new rate, or it plays anything over 44.1 at 48.

I assume this is a Pulseaudio problem, not a MC problem.  Is there any way to configure automatic rate change in Pulse so I don't have to reconfigure each time I play a file with a different rate above 44.1?  Or is there an alternative to Pulse that autoconfigures?

Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Must I change daemon.conf alternate rate for every file rate change?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »

Not a pulse expert but from what I can see it fixes a specific sample rate so that multiple apps can talk to it simultaneously.
I don't know how one works around that.

newbluesman

• Recent member
Thanks - that's my conclusion too. I was hoping I was wrong.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:01:18 pm »

You can code the conf file with both a default rate and an alternate rate to which it will switch if the file is not at the default rate. But if the file's also not at the alternate rate, it's played as though it is.  This is OK if the file's below the alternate rate, but it makes for some interesting sounds if it's above.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up