INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet data drop out  (Read 8708 times)

Lowestoft

• Recent member
Ethernet data drop out
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:48:26 am »

Using JRiver to play FLAC files from a Synology NAS, I'm experiencing intermittent audible drop outs.   
The drops are reflected in Ethernet Task Manager which shows no network activity during drop outs. (2 to 3 second pulses of data at several Mbps followed by several seconds zero data)
Playing the same music using VLC I never experience dropouts (a relatively consistent stream of data at around 800kbps for FLAC.), which suggests JRiver is the problem.   
Of possible relevance is that I get the same drop out outs when streaming music from internet radio, which of course should have nothing to do with JRiver.  (But only if JRiver and the Synology are both running)
Of further possible relevance is a Wireshark network trace which claims it is seeing frequent malformed packets when playing from NAS to JRiver ("malformed packet gsm over ip").  When playing from NAS using VLC I don't see the malformed packets. 
The only relevant error in Windows logs is 4230 "TCP/IP has chosen to restrict the congestion window for several connections due to a network condition. This could be related to a problem in the TCP global or supplemental configuration and will cause degraded throughput."  The discussions online for that error suggest upgrading to latest NIC driver (done) and resetting winsock & IP (done).  Note I only see that error once after each reboot, but not again until the next reboot.  PC is used only for playing music - nothing else.
Basically it all works fine if I use something other than JRiver but I like JRiver and don't want to change to something else.   

System:
JRiver Media Center v19.0.128
Windows 8.1 Pro fully patched with all recommended and optional patches.
Antivirus:  Windows Defender.
CPU:  Intel i7-4770S 3.10 GHz
Memory:  16 GB
Synology DS214 SE

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Ethernet data drop out
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:30 am »

I've seen the exact same behavior when streaming FLAC files from my NAS - a Netgear ReadyNAS v2. The problem often occurs multiple times in the same session for me. I only noticed that Windows also recognized the ethernet dropout over the weekend. When this happens, MC permanently enters a "Buffering" state. The workaround is to stop playback (which takes anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds), and then start playback again. I had originally thought this was an issue with my (admittedly funky) network setup, but perhaps that isn't the case now that someone else has experienced it.

My network setup: my ISP provided a (DSL) router that's connected to the internet and runs a DHCP server. This router is connected via ethernet to a gigabit switch. This switch also hosts my NAS and a powerline ethernet adapter. At the other end of the powerline ethernet adapter (i.e. - upstairs) is a Linksys wireless router that broadcasts wifi, and my HTPC is connected via ethernet to this router.
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!
Android: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89392.0
BB10: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79677.0

Lowestoft

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »

I couldn't find a similar problem listed and thought it might just be a problem with my set up.  It's comforting to know its not just me. 
I should have mentioned that my system is also connected via a router but I don't believe that the router is the problem because the drop outs still occur with the router disconnected and with the NAS connected directly to the PC.  I.e. Just the PC, NAS, Screen and Logitech K400r keyboard.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:55:56 pm »

The problem, as described in the first post, is not an MC problem.  MC uses the network, but depends on the OS to do so, and it could not create the kind of problems you're describing.

An antivirus program might.  A bug in the NAS might.

Lowestoft

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 02:54:02 pm »

Hi Jim
Are you referring to a bug /virus or bug / software glitch?  If the latter would you expect the problem would be resolved by changing to another manufacturers NAS?

Lowestoft

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »

Sorry Jim
I should have reiterated that the problem does not manifest itself when using a different media software to J River.  The NAS then delivers a steady stream of FLAC at the expected speed. 

dean70

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 05:07:31 pm »

Try a different network cable? Faulty lan adapter?

Lowestoft

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 03:01:22 am »

Thanks Dean
I'll first try a different NAS.   I don't think its the cable because I have tried just the PC plus NAS alone off the main network connected with a short piece of CAT 5.  That didn't cure it.  Its got to be NAS ,PC, Windows 8 64Bit or JRiver. Jim however seems pretty confidant that its not JRiver.  Though given that the problem goes when I use another media software it might just be a mismatch between my particular NAS and JRiver.  I will test that over the weekend.  Rudi

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 08:20:00 am »

I'll first try a different NAS.   I don't think its the cable because I have tried just the PC plus NAS alone off the main network connected with a short piece of CAT 5.  That didn't cure it.  Its got to be NAS ,PC, Windows 8 64Bit or JRiver. Jim however seems pretty confidant that its not JRiver.  Though given that the problem goes when I use another media software it might just be a mismatch between my particular NAS and JRiver.  I will test that over the weekend.  Rudi

This issue has similarities to my problem with MC crashing. My flacs are stored on a Readynas x86. I map the folder to a drive letter on the Windows PC I use for MC (server 2012R2). I have been trying lots of things to get rid of this, so far with no luck. Other players on the same Windows PC are stable. I have not noticed the 'Ethernet data drop out' message. I'll have to check my logs
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

Lowestoft

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:43:18 am »

Hi Ogs. Which version of windows are you running on the PC?  I've have 8.1 pro 64bit. 
I have tried another NAS which exhibited the same problem.  Buffalo Linkstation. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up