INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just downloaded wireshark. What am I seeing? ISSUE SOLVED!!!  (Read 5062 times)

Starchild1

• Recent member

Please see the attached picture.  What am I looking at?

Thanks,
Mike

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: I just downloaded wireshark. What am I seeing?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:30:14 pm »

The SSDP packets are Media Center's DLNA service, and the TCP retransmissions are your system trying to send the final socket close acknowledgement to JRiver's web server (which has already dropped its side of the connection so the final close acknowledgement packet is never accepted, and TCP will retry to resend until an ACK confirmation is received, or it closes the socket after a timeout).

Nothing to worry about.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 06:49:04 pm »

I'm grasping at straws now.  I can't get JRiver to play music via dlna to the Oppo at all.  I'll keep pluggin away at it.  JRiver works fine using the default player through my television speakers.  Everything hangs up when I try to play to the Oppo.  I keep wondering if the problem is either with the Oppo or Windows 8.1.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »

A few days ago, someone reported that their Oppo 103 was skipping until they disabled Gracenote lookup on it.

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:37:15 am »

I know.  That someone was me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:24 am »

Firewall?

Did you power cycle the Oppo?

ddennerline

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 01:26:29 am »

From the screen snapshot, I am going to take some guess here. There are >3000 packets, so you really cannot make head/tails from such a small screen capture size. In addition UPnP/DLNA is complex protocol, so you would have to understand all the GET/RESPONSE interactions.

192.168.0.8 is your MC server machine
192.168.0.7 is your Oppo player
The 216.14.187.X address belongs to JRiver.

You will want to add a filter as, “ip.host==192.168.0.7” (the Oppo player) and look through all the packets. Any place you see RST or abnormally large number of retransmitted packets is suspect.

You will want look for a normal flow of HTTP/XML connections. You can follow each UPnP connection by using a filter such as:
ip.host==192.168.0.7 && tcp.flags.syn==1
and then using right click > follow TCP stream.

I don't believe poster has any firewall issues as you can see some of the outbound connections to JRiver have made some progress. I looks like MC has contacted the Oppo based on frame#4348.

As suggested by Jim, taking the capture immediately after rebooting your appliance would provide the best analytics.

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:27 pm »

Thanks for that information.  It was very useful.  I'll try it tonight.  I think I'm also going to download Foobar to see if it works.

ddennerline

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »

I tried Foobar, and it's DLNA capabilities are not very robust. You are better off trying a different DLNA server/controller (Google around). If different server can push audio tracks to your Oppo without interruption, then there’s some MC18 and Oppo interaction that is causing issues.

From the Oppo documentation, it’s also possible to use Oppo as DMP (pull mode) using its handheld controller. Try this mode to see if same set of issues are present.

Another potential issue may be the player’s firmware is not very stable. If you examine this recent 2014 firmware update, there dozens of issues with playback (http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/blu-ray-players-50/oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-firmware-updates-official-thread-3345/index3.html). You might try re-encoding the file you are using to different format or bitrate. As a side issue, the BDP-103 does not appear to be DLNA certified.

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 11:00:44 am »

All of a sudden MC19 and my Oppo played nice last night and much music was listened to (I didn't do anything to it.  I just selected the Oppo under playig now and was able to play music).  Of course, this morning MC hung again. I'm beginning to think the bdp 103 is not the device I need to be using with MC.  I'm also about to conclude that I'm just not tech savy enough to go this route. This is too frustrating. Maybe a one box solution is in my future. 

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »

All of a sudden MC19 and my Oppo played nice last night and much music was listened to (I didn't do anything to it.  I just selected the Oppo under playig now and was able to play music).  Of course, this morning MC hung again. I'm beginning to think the bdp 103 is not the device I need to be using with MC.  I'm also about to conclude that I'm just not tech savy enough to go this route. This is too frustrating. Maybe a one box solution is in my future. 

In my case the Oppo and MC 19 always play together perfectly. That tells me that whatever issue you have is not due to the Oppo or to MC. So it must be something else on your home network. I suggest that you try deconstructing your network; start off with just MC and the Oppo connected to your router; and nothing else; use Ethernet to connect the devices; and turn on DHCP on the router and use DHCP to configure the Oppo and MC. If that works, then slowly add back other things to your network until something breaks.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 06:16:32 am »

Andrew,

I'm using an Oppo bdp 103 that's connected to my computer via Ethernet cable.  My computer is accessing the internet via wifi.  Are you using a similar configuration?  In any case, I'll give it a shot. 
Thanks,

Mike

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 07:07:08 am »

Andrew,

I'm using an Oppo bdp 103 that's connected to my computer via Ethernet cable.  My computer is accessing the internet via wifi.  Are you using a similar configuration?  In any case, I'll give it a shot. 
Thanks,

Mike

I have both devices connected to the router via Ethernet.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 01:37:44 pm »

Andrew,

Due to the construction of listening room, it would difficult (thought not impossible)  to run an ethernet cable to my router.  Since my router belongs to Time Warner Cable, I'm thinking of having them come and check everything out.  However, I have a bit of a knowledge gap regading relationships between dlna, MC and the network.  Could you explain in laymens terms how this works or send me a link that gives me more detailed information that what I saw on the wiki page?  Also, what's the advantage of running an ethernet cable from my router to my pc?  This information would help me a great deal and add significant value to my discussions with Time Warner. 

Thanks,
Mike

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 03:21:06 pm »

Thanks,

Minimally, you want to place a switch between your Oppo and your computer.  End stations are designed to be just that - end points; they are not designed to manage inter-connectivity the way switches and routers do.  While it often "works" to connect two devices in the manner you have connected them, it can cause exactly these types of problems.

Get your own high-quality WiFi router that you connect by Ethernet cable to your broadband router; this will allow you control/use your access point (you'll not use the broadband's WiFi), and you can then adjust the location for optimal performance for your home.  The WiFi supplied via your ISP's router may not be very good.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 03:32:56 pm »

Minimally, you want to place a switch between your Oppo and your computer.  End stations are designed to be just that - end points; they are not designed to manage inter-connectivity the way switches and routers do.  While it often "works" to connect two devices in the manner you have connected them, it can cause exactly these types of problems.

Get your own high-quality WiFi router that you connect by Ethernet cable to your broadband router; this will allow you control/use your access point (you'll not use the broadband's WiFi), and you can then adjust the location for optimal performance for your home.  The WiFi supplied via your ISP's router may not be very good.

That makes sense.  I actually have an Linksys router sitting in a box somewhere.  I'll dig it out and give that a try.

Thanks!!
Mike

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 09:29:02 pm »

Since my router belongs to Time Warner Cable, I'm thinking of having them come and check everything out.  However, I have a bit of a knowledge gap regading relationships between dlna, MC and the network.

Your ISP's business goal is to downlink data (at speeds of tens of mega bits per second) from the outside cable connection to devices inside your home. The ISP gains no extra revenue from crosslinking large amounts of data between devices within your home. So the ISP's box will probably not have much horsepower for that latter function. So I echo MrC's suggestion to have a grown up home network router (supporting speeds up to giga bits per second) as your main router. And then the ISP's box is just used as the downlink interface between the cable connection and the main home router.

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 10:59:24 am »

Guys,

I just completed setting up a second network as recommended with my Linksys router.  It appears to be working like a charm.  I'll keep you posted.  I appreciate all of your help on this!

Mike

Starchild1

• Recent member
Re: I just downloaded wireshark. What am I seeing? ISSUE SOLVED!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:45:24 am »

Ok guys.  I went throught the weekend with nary a hiccup.  I consider the issue solved.  You might want to put that piece of sage advice regarding network requirements some place for other wayward souls.  Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up