INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony STR-DN850 Receiver Mini Review  (Read 1710 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Sony STR-DN850 Receiver Mini Review
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:02:22 pm »

I had to replace an old $300 Sony receiver today because a channel was missing.  I looked at Best Buy and in their Magnolia department.  Lots of choices, no clarity, so I went to lunch with my friends.  After lunch I came back, thinking I would just buy the cheapest receiver they had ($250), but I'm glad I didn't.

I spent $500 to get the Sony STR-DN850.  Like many other receivers, it had an Ethernet network port and Pandora.  It also had Bluetooth, a couple of USB ports, and some other new things I'm still investigating.

One thing it has that really brings it into the modern era is an on screen menu that displays on a TV.  It has very simple choices -- Listen, Watch, Custom, Effects, Settings.  It's very well done.

It also has a very simple remote, since much of what you might need to do can be done through the on screen menu.  It's a little like Theater View in that sense.  A few buttons (up, down, left, right, and enter) let you navigate the menu.

I was able to set up connections by HDMI from my PC and from the Id.  They both worked without much trouble.

I tried Bluetooth playback from my phone.  It worked.

I tried DLNA playback from MC to the TV.  It worked in both directions (controlled from MC or the TV).

It's a lot more like a computer than the old receivers.  

So far, it's been very satisfactory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up